“Catalina get away”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The Historic Hermosa Hotel was lovely and quaint with several modern touches. My husband and I loved the cottage style room we were given on the third floor. Our room had a twin bed and a queen bed as well as a fridge, a microwave and a coffee pot. The appliances sat atop wooden furnishings. The drawer in the stand between the beds had a unique way of opening to display the Bible inside every time we left the room. It had a private bathroom air conditioning and a TV. The three floors of stairs were a bit difficult for my husband and internet service was difficult to access. The front desk staff were excellent especially the young man. he kindly carried my husband's bag both up and down the stairs. The walls are far from soundproof, nearby was a family with a young child who cried and whined considerably which made the stay less pleasant than before they arrived. The coffee in the lobby was excellent but only available when the front desk was open. I am an early riser and like my coffee early, before 8:30 am. Lovely place

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stanley C
HermosaHotel, General Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

1st of all we loved Catalina. We took a tour of the Casino and the Catalina Museum. The Hermosa staff were friendly and knowledgeable of the Island. Kayla was accommodating too, in that she moved us to another room because of our "strange acting" neighbor next door. I love historic hotels, houses, etc. The lobby is clean and unique with its antique furniture. However, the rooms are in dire need of cleaning. This is a very large hotel with lots of stairs; it possibly takes up 1/2 of the street in length. Since it is this visible, the owner could do so much with the street frontage of it. This hotel needs to hire maids!; if it is too much to clean, partition sections of the hotel off and only rent the rooms that have been cleaned. I doubt they have been cleaned in years; seriously. It is filthy. I know this is an Island, with relaxed atmosphere, but come on! Why would any hotel let their rooms get this dirty; and I am not talking about the oldness of the hotel. I bet this is the dirtiest hotel on the Island. I will send Mark, the General Manager an email too about the uncleanliness of his hotel. Otherwise, the hotel is fine, he has a wonderful staff; but the owner needs to hire a lot of maids! I bet you could find another hotel in the area that was clean at a close comparable price if you did your research. I have never typed a review like this in my life, but it is true.

Room Tip: Do your research of Catalina Island and find a cleaner hotel at a comparable price. I always do my...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawn J
Reviewed May 22, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Hermosa Hotel Room and my girlfriend and I are very satisfied. We were already aware of how old these rooms are so we didn't expect a luxury room. And perhaps we expected too low, the room was a lot better. It was small but big enough to get rest and relax.
We specifically asked for a room with stoves and sink so we can cook and it was perfect as we wanted to cook our meal.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Joon K
Reviewed May 13, 2014

I am sharing this review because I have used tripadvisor in the past with excellent and accurate results, an as information is the best weapon I must arm potential travelers to Hermosa Hotel of the details of my stay.
Staff was friendly, a bit too relaxed, but that may just be an island type of attitude.
The room and premises however are quite another tale. I have uploaded pictures of my "cottage". My friend booked the room, as I would have used tripadvisor to review rooms before purchasing and would NOT have chosen Hermosa Hotel.
We stayed in a single bed cottage at the very front of the hotel. The first thing that attracted my eye way the years of accumulated use and wear. The website claims a flat screen and microwave in every room, we had neither. The frig was clean and worked well. As in other reviews in the room itself, there are no closets, no drawers. The bathroom (understand I'm kind of a germaphobe) had so many generations of visitors that area around the sink faucet had a constant stream of black flakes emanating from behind it each time water went back there and a ring from a faucet that had rusted there years ago. I acquired cleaning supplies and went to work on the bathroom so I could some what comfortably use it. I luckily found a great restroom in the lobby of a different hotel a few blocks away which was so very nice I used their sterling facilities instead of the one gross attached to my room.
The first evening I tried to catch a nap and I found the bed and pillows to be very soft and comfortable, however barely 10 minutes into the snooze I was shaken awake by a jack hammer right outside the window (see picture) which lasted over an hour. This construction carried on over the full three days I stayed on the island; my unwelcome alarm in the morning and dreaded companion upon returning in the evening. They did wrap it u after 5pm. So about that bed, comfortable, but I made the flaw of glancing under the sheet, where the drops and smears of hopefully not blood, staining the old mattress cover, confirmed my harsh review of this establishment.
I understand it is quite an old historic place and that certainly has its aesthetic appeal, however, the overall disrepair, unhygienic, uncomfortable stay and skin crawling sensation of once again stepping foot into that cottage confirms my rating.
This review is meant to inform, not criticize or debase. Will not book again with Hermosa Hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street. Historic translates to in need of renovation.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank pecose08
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write us; we appreciate your comments, concerns, and constructive criticism. As far as the construction goes, we of course have no control over the city's improvements, but the project is scheduled to end shortly. We have taken your remarks to the housekeeping and maintenance departments and will consult with them further. We are constantly working on improving our facilities and we value your insight.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Do not stay here! This hotel was a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. The cottage was in disgusting condition with mold on floors. The bathroom mirror was rusted and looked about fifty years old. We took pictures of the place just to document the condition it was in. It was a tiny cottage where you could hear everything including the maid's children and family living in the cottage across the way at all hours of the night (the fire marshal came over one morning to check their cottage, she had eight people living in it). There were no amenities such as a blow dryer or shampoo and the bathroom smelled like fish. One morning when we went to go get new towels (not sure why the maid didn't supply new ones each day), the owner of the hotel ignored my boyfriend and helped several other people who came in after him (those other customers commented on it- pointing as if to say he's first which the owner ignored), I'd hate to think this was because my boyfriend is black but I could see no other reason why he'd be completely ignored. When he finally was helped, he asked for more towels and the owner told him to go get his old ones. What hotel on earth asks you to go get your old towels????? We were treated like second class citizens. We literally looked for new hotels online to stay at while we were there, but everything was booked. We even tried to go home a day early, but all the ferries back to port were full. The icing on the cake was on our third day when we looked at our mattress cover and saw old blood stains on it. Any hotel that continually uses sheets or mattress covers where they know blood stains are on it should be cited by the health department. I would have preferred to stay at a Motel 6. At least you know what you are getting there. It's cheaper and actually much cleaner. The Hermosa Hotel should be shut down. You couldn't pay to send me back there.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Courtney K
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Hi there Courtney,

Thank you for your review. We certainly appreciate candor. However, I really must raise a point of contention: we at the Hermosa would never discriminate against someone because of skin color. Absolutely never. Although your other comments are certainly deserving of attention, to suggest we operate in a racist manner is offensive not only to the integrity of our business, but also to the personal values of our entire staff.

Some of your comments relate more to the historic nature of the property, due to the contracting/architecture practices in use during the time they were built.

As far as housekeeping goes, we do our best to remain efficient and thorough, but whenever it is necessary our office staff is always more than happy to personally bring any requested amenities (including towels, shampoo, and blow dryers) up to rooms. In regards to the cleanliness deficit - did you alert the front desk? We certainly would have taken care of those problems immediately. Almost 100% of the issues you mentioned are completely unusual and would have been cause for alarm on the part of our staff.

Lastly, we are family owned and operated, and proud to be so. We are also always looking for ways to improve, and will take your remarks into consideration. Thank you for your time!

Reviewed April 17, 2014

I stayed in one of the cottages that was toward the back of the hotel (up 2 flights of stairs - but I don't mind stairs), so it was off the street and quiet. The place is quaint. It is an older place, but still enjoyable. If you are looking for modern, this is not it. If you are looking for character, this place has it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The place is not dumpy at all - it's just older. I'd recommend this place for younger couples. The cottage didn't have a closet, but it had a good amount of dresser space. The climate control in the cottage worked well, but we were using the heating, so I can't say anything about AC. The staff was very helpful, and the hotel has bikes you can rent for fair prices, which is great for Avalon. The free internet they offered to guests had trouble reaching our unit in the back, but if we ever wanted to know anything about the island, the staff was always willing to fill us in, and their information was just as good.

Room Tip: If you like to have more quiet, and you are ok with stairs, then get a cottage toward the back of th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thank you for your review! We're very glad you appreciate the historic charm of the Hermosa and that you enjoyed your stay in Avalon. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2014

We visited the island mid April. We stayed in an ocean view apartment. The kitchen was well stocked as well cooked a couple meals. The bed was very comfy with nice pillows. There were French doors that opened onto a deck. The bathroom is nice and updated. The living room furniture was nice with French doors that opened on to deck. The deck had two lounge chairs and a table and chair set. The view is fantastic. We really enjoyed our stay. There is no air conditioning but it was not needed. There was always a nice breeze. We had a great stay and look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: My favorite is ocean view 3.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Darthula,

Thank you very much for your glowing review! The Ocean View suite is my personal favorite room and a general favorite of all guests who stay there. We too look forward to your future stay - we'll see you soon!