“Family unit is a DUMP”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I've written dozens of reviews on Trip Advisor, but I've never given such a low rating to a hotel until now.

Because there were 8 people in our party, I researched months in advance to find an economical place to stay in Avalon. I was quite happy with myself for finding a three-bedroom "family unit" at Hermosa Hotel for $392 a night.

I knew from reading the other Trip Advisor reviews that the Hermosa Hotel is old and not well maintained, but nothing prepared me for this place. Unfortunately, all the reviews appear to be of the 1-room cottages, and not of the family unit (which is far worse than the cottages).

Perhaps no one (besides us) has rented this family unit, which would explain why it hasn't been reviewed yet, and why there is a THICK layer of dust everywhere inside the place. It is so filthy that I refused to take off my shoes, and I was even afraid to take a shower there. I kept my sandals next to the shower so I could dry off and get out without stepping on the floor.

I've always thought it's a little tacky when people focus their reviews on things like dust, peeling paint, cracked windows, stained floors, water damage etc. But this place truly has all those problems and more. It was almost laughable, except that one room even had an electical outlet that was missing the cover plate (see my posted pictures) -- a serious safety issue -- especially since there was a 2-year old in our group. Thankfully, we only booked one night here, because I don't think I could have stayed for two.

We also encounted false (or at least misleading) advertising. The Hermosa Hotel website features a video tour giving the impression that it has an outdoor grill. (Our party of 8 was planning on using this grill to cook dinner.) But upon checking in, we learned that the grill is actually located at a "sister property" several blocks away (and up a hill), making it completely useless.

I still can't believe we payed $392 a night to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Yoritomo

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This hotel is old, the walls are thin, showers are small, and there are really no amenities to speak of. BUT. It is a clean, comfortable place to stay. The staff is very nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable. What more do you really need after a day at the beach? I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

The Hermosa hotel delivered. We had a comfortable, clean room in this rustic old town-style building. It is not your typical hotel - it's actually much more interesting than most and it is simply a stones throw to the town. Clean and affordable with amenities for outdoors-type equipment etc..

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Dr_P_Wilson
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Hermosa Hotel is a great, beach hotel, reminiscent of Calif. Days gone by yet is modern with ensuite bathrooms,coffee maker, frig. , microwave in our rooms. The stairs to the upper levels are easy for walking and bringing up gear. There is storage area on lower levels for gear and suitcases. The staff is cordial and helpful. Coffee in foyer. Market next door. Balcony for guests overlooking the street and harbor. Quite reasonable. We were six retired women and were very comfortable and pleased with our choice for two nights and 3 days. Loved it!

Room Tip: Phone ahead to make your needs known. They are quite helpful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is the place to stay on Catalina! We got a great deal on a combo room. It was perfect for us. I took my adult daughter and my 2 grandsons. There was no microwave; no frig, and no coffee maker, no hair dryer. These are NOT things we need. It was very clean. The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgable
When we first arrived we noticed the TV remote was missing from one room and the screen was gone from the other. They had these fixed in minutes after I brought it to their attention.
You will not find a better, more helpful staff anywhere. Just ask and they are at your service. The location is great too.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The other reviews here have been pretty accurate. Having been to the island numerous times, we were already aware that the island is older & accommodations tend to be smaller in-scale than on the mainland, and that island plumbing is low-flow, so none of those things were surprising to us at all. What makes the Hermosa a gem is that it's one of the least expensive hotels on the island AND it's in a terrible location in the middle of Avalon with easy access to shopping, dining, beaches and activities.

We recently went to the island with relatives for a bit of a family reunion with two families staying in the main hotel, while my party was in one of the cabins. The main building has lots of character & old world charm with a spacious lobby, computer w/ internet access for guest use, a meeting room and a huge storage area for guests to store diving equipment or luggage if they are roaming the island before / after check-in/out. The rooms, while small, had everything we needed. When booking our trip, we weren't looking for bells & whistles - we wanted a clean, comfortable affordable place to stay whilst we explored the island and we we got exactly that.

Our cabin included a small kitchen which we used often, being just a few doors down from the Krogers market (very convenient!) We stocked up on beautiful California produce, healthy hearty snacks and, yes, libations, which fit nicely in the small refrigerator / freezer and cupboards of our mini kitchen (which included table, chairs, toaster, microwave & dishes / utelsils for both cooking & eating.

There was originally a mix-up on the charge to my account upon check-in, but the manager remedied it immediately & still allowed us to keep the upgraded cabin we'd been assigned (although we'd only requested a standard, which would not have included the kitchen). We very much appreciated the prompt attention and the gracious upgrade! That's the kind of service I will definitely come back for!

Going mid-week, during the high season only cost us $100 / night... do your research - you won't find this anywhere else! We had a wonderful time exploring the island with various members of our party snorkeling, scub diving, boating around the island or doing an interior jeep tour, not to mention enjoying excellent seafood at the local restaurants and picking up unique keepsakes at the shops. We'll definitely be coming back soon! :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the small side, but clean & cozy. Just decide if you need a kitchen or not...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank designermomaz
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Hermosa Hotel was perfect for my party of 5. I think the hotel is honestly represented on their website and fairly priced. It is an older property, but that gives it character. The staff was very friendly and enthusiastic to help. We stayed in the family style room #5. My only advice would be to be careful when walking across the floor rug. Two of us slipped more than once when walking across it and could have had a bad fall. Both nights we were woke up around 7am by a trash truck and someone in the neighboorhood who played very loud music to start their day. I don't consider this the hotel's fault though. Trash has to be taken away and I don't think the music lover was a guest.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends