“Catalina Island”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed two nights at the Hermosa Cottages - a great experience. The cottages are old - after all, the hotel has been around about a hundred years so they are not what you would expect in a new hotel. That said, actually the rooms are probably comparable to some of the national park housing and their charm is the same. We paid more at Grand Canyon Bright Angel cabins so we thought the price was good. Location, location, location and Hermosa is clean - two of my main considerations. We are active seniors and liked not having to do a lot of climbing to get to our room. Convenient to everything in Avalon. We had a kitchen and picked up breakfast cereal at the Von grocery two doors down. Avalon was a little cold for swimming for us but we enjoyed strolling the streets and just relaxing. There are lots of places to eat or snack. We did the golf cart tour and highly recommend that as well. The vendor nearest the ferry landing offers an extra hour for the price of two and prorates if you return the cart earlier than two hours. My husband would love to go back for scuba diving and we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mel H

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I made same day reservations and was pleasantly surprised how friendly and accommodating the front desk was. The room was comfortable and certainly roomy enough for me. The refrigerator and microwave allowed me to purchase items from the local store and keep them without concern of spoiling. The front desk allowed me to store my luggage in the area until time for my departure, instead of lugging it around the entire day. I would highly recommend this hotel and staff to anyone that is going to spend time on Catalina Island.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The staff made the hotel. We booked a regular cottage and they moved us to one with a kitchenette free of charge for part of our stay. They were also friendly and knowledgeable. The
hotel is older and nostalgic but definitely shows its age. I'll return due to staff friendliness and value.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Hermosa Hotel is an excellent hotel for scuba fans. The hotel was recommended by a scuba dive master and it fit our purposes perfectly. Centrally located, we were able to easily go in both directions for easy walks to enjoy the city. The staff at the hotel were accommodating, allowing us to leave gear/suitcases in the scuba room while we continued our days' stay. Any requests made, were expediently processed by staff. All staff was extremely friendly answering any questions we had and making suggestions to make our stay more enjoyable. Rooms are small, but clean and quiet. I most definitely would recommend this hotel to anyone and would stay here again, most definitely.

Room Tip: In winter, ask if the room has heat. Ask for extra blankets before counter closes.Ask where the &quo...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the very top, up a long flight of stairs. Marilyn and I shared the space with our friends. We didn't spend much time in the rooms - mostly off exploring and volunteering for the Catalina Conservancy - so the small rooms worked out OK for us. We cooked our meals there and ate on the deck overlooking town. We liked the central location in Avalon, and we liked the friendly staff.

Room Tip: If you have trouble climbing lots of stairs, take a lower room. We didn't mind the climb.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank treeguy98862
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Hermosa Hotel was a very good pick for us. The rooms were small, but very clean. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful with every question and request that we had. The hotel is so perfectly located, you can walk everywhere from the room. It was very quiet also.
We would stay there again!

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vickie J
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I cannot express my gratitude and love towards the Hermosa Hotel and Catalina Cottages enough. The staff went above and beyond for us constantly while we were there. Catalina itself is enchanting, however everyone at H.H. & C.C. made our trip that much more perfect. The rooms varied from small studios to very large 3 bedroom condos. The condo we stayed in was 3 bedrooms/one bath and was very appropriate for its age. It wasn't all updated but it wasn't old and dirty either. They had a full kitchen filled with any utensils you could need as well as plates cups and bowls.
We took full advantage of their family packages and were able to explore the botanical gardens, and the museum with our package and even had bike rentals that we took full advantage of. One of my inlaws were in a wheel chair and the front desk helped change some of our plans so that he could enjoy as much as possible. On our final day we placed our bags in the free storage room and wanted to continue to explore Catalina for the whole day so we delayed our shuttle back to the mainland until later that night. We could not have had a more pleasant experience and the Hermosa Hotel & Catalina Cottages are to thank. Catalina itself is enchanting, however everyone at H.H. & C.C. made our trip that much more perfect. Thank you to Mark and Chris and the rest of the staff for going above and beyond for myself, my fiance, and my inlaws.

• Stayed: March 2013