“Great value in downtown Avalon”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Avalon, California
“Great value in downtown Avalon”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The Hermosa is a Catalina classic. Built in 1896, with ongoing updates; The Hermosa offers outstanding value. Nothing fancy. Each room is unique. The extremely affordable pricing allowed us to have plenty of money left over for island tours, a Segway ride, Zip lining, shopping and restaurant hopping. The Hermosa embraces the funky lifestyle of Catalina.
Our room had a microwave, refrigeration, flat screen TV, ceiling fan, portable fan, windows that opened, air conditioning and heater. The shower was newly remodeled with great water pressure and very hot water.
The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Owner Mark was behind the front desk upon our arrival at 10:30am. We were immediately given our room keys. Before I finished signing in; Scotty grabbed our luggage and had it in our room.
The Hermosa’s location is in central downtown Avalon on flat ground. It is 1 block from the beach, tour pick-up site by the mini-golf course, library, Vons, great restaurants and downtown shopping. It was a 7 minute walk to the Casino, under 10 minutes to Descanso Beach and 20 minute walk to the Wrigley Mausoleum and Catalina campground.
This is a great hotel if you are into diving, other water sports or plan on getting dirty while enjoying the outdoor adventures of Catalina. Staying at the Hermosa Hotel allows you to pack-up and check out by 11am and still be able to dive, kayak, swim, Zip line, hike or hang out on the beach all day. When its time to clean up return to the Hermosa; ask at the front desk for a towel, soap and key to a private showing area. You can clean up and be ready to take the boat home smelling like a mainlander. There is also an area to rise off all your equipment and store it until you are ready to leave. The Hermosa always allow us to take full advantage of our departing day.
The Hermosa Hotel offers down to earth accommodations at an extremely affordable price. The friendly and helpful staff makes you feel like you are staying at a friend’s house who is glad you came for a visit.

Room Tip: When making reservations call and tell them what you want. Every room has its own personality.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Catalinastayer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Hebrew first
Los Angeles
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I had a groupon certificate for their hotel which was until 6/30/11. When I called to make a reservation for June, I was informed there were no vacancies for my request. I was told that they would accept the certificate until 12/11 if I paid a $75 fee, but if it was for July or August it'd be a $200 fee. I just tried to make a reservation today, and I was informed that they no longer accepted the certificate. When I explained to the person on the phone that I was told in June that I could pay an additional fee, he said that they changed their policy since I had called. Very poor customer service. In light of the bad reviews on this site, I'd think they'd provide better service and honor the statements of their employees.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank localmd
HermosaHotel, Manager at Hermosa Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
localmd,

Not only did we honor our Groupon customers' certificates- we offered an extension for those who chose dates that weren't available before the Groupon expired (even though we had plenty of midweek availability). This isn't required, nor is it common practice. When we offered our extension, we made it clear that we would only book the reservations until we offered our next Groupon (as I'm sure you can understand- two different Groupons at once would be pretty chaotic). Our most recent Groupon went on sale in late August. Even then, we still offered the Groupon for an additional two weeks.

Keep in mind, you purchased this Groupon in February (seven months ago). When we offered the extension into Fall, we tried to make it clear that you must book before that time period began. Since we're already well past that date, I hope you can understand our refusal to accept your voucher. We've redeemed nearly every Groupon purchased then, and hosted two thousand Groupon travelers, because those who chose to extend the deal to Fall booked before mid-September as instructed. I'm sorry that message wasn't clear to you.

It appears that you attempted to book a reservation for June after June had started, which gave us a three-week window of availability, and this was after the punctual Groupon customers had been making reservations since February. It appears this is just a similar situation to the one that happened in June- a case of not getting in your reservation request soon enough.

We have not changed our policy on Groupon acceptance. It just appears that there was a miscommunication and you attempted to make a reservation too late. You can still contact Groupon for a refund, which we've asked them to honor. We're really sorry you weren't able to visit the island using your Groupon.

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

Reviewed September 29, 2011

The historic Hermosa Hotel is a gem just off Crescent in the heart of Avalon. It is an older building, with tall windows that have classic wide moulding around them. The rooms are light and airy, though quite small, typical of older establishments. The owners keep the facilities fresh looking, with nice touches of color throughout.

This is a quintessential beach hotel, catering to younger travelers and divers. The up side is the Hermosa is a great value. On the down side, the neighborhood can be noisy, and on the weekends the denizens can provide a large amount of late night entertainment whether you want it or not.

The staff here is top notch. They are friendly, upbeat, and wonderfully helpful. The title of the review is a tip of the hat to the young lady who was at the desk when we checked in, who had the charming habit of singing "Awe-some" as a conversation wound up satisfactorily. They were very accomodating of our large group, and managed, even with a sold out hotel, to find ways that we could squeeze "just one more person" into our reservation.

The hotel has at least one suite that will sleep up to eight. The suite has two rooms with either beds or convertible sofas, a full kitchen, and a bath. When both the sofas are pulled out as beds, the room becomes crowded, but for the economy-minded this is a small price to pay.

There are also bungalows outside the main hotel, and similar comments apply to them.

The Hermosa is built along a fairly steep hillside. If you have trouble with stairs, and lots of them, this may be a show stopper. Otherwise, this hotel is a great place to use as your headquarters for your stay in Catalina.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Susan B
Thank you so, so much! We always appreciate good reviews, and we really enjoyed having your group stay with us. Next time, invite us to Antonio's with you ;)

Awesome!
Amanda
Claremont, California
Reviewed September 11, 2011

There is another review of the bungalows reporting paper thin walls and broken blinds as a few problems. I agree with every word. It is in such a great area and the owners are wonderful people. I think the stay inside the main buiding may be a good choice but just be warned, the sounds from outside are hard to deal with! My reporting this ended up with the night manager knocking on my door at 1am yelling 'lady, they are only talking;. I told him I am having a conversation in my room too and the whole court yard is not able to hear it. The loud voices and laughing from the room ACROSS the courtyard did not stop until almost 2 am.
Otherwise, very clean with no frills pricing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Corona, ca
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This was mine and my bf's first trip to Catalina and although I'm more of the "roll with the punches, make the most of it" one in the relationship, him not so much. He usually loses sleep if he's not in his own bed. Since I'm always the planner it's hard to book a decent hotel that's not going to break my bank. Baller on a budget, k! And trust me we've had horrific past experiences! (see my "heritage marina hotel" review...last years bday experience and the reason why i created a yelp account")
Needless to say, this hotel is adorable. Customer service is ON POINT. I emailed back n forth a bit with Mindy months ago when I booked and she gave me all the details on the rooms, things to do, etc. and even upgraded us. Once we arrived, Amanda greeted us with a Happy Birthday (to my bf; It was sweet that they noted that). and Justin at the front desk allowed us a late check out and was so friendly and informative on the different rooms that they have for our future visits.
Bottom line this hotel is older, but offers the Catalina, "island-y" feel. You can go to a Four Seasons anywhere in the world and its nice, upscale, and EXPENSIVE...and they all probably look the same on the inside. You don't get that native feel. At Hermosa Hotel you definitely get that, which I love it, totally recommend it and will 100% return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle F
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This review pertains ONLY to the bungalows--not the historic hotel building itself. We had a two-night stay (the minimum) in mid-August for a getaway weekend. I should have known better when it only cost $100/night in peak season. The cottages look really cute and homey. However, the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything (I mean everything) that goes on inside & out. The biggest gripe I had was that the windows were covered with vertical blinds that didn't close at all--you could literally see onto the bed from the sidewalk outside and into the shower from the neighboring building. I had to buy some packing tape from the Vons next door and tape the blinds shut and hang towels over the windows in the bathroom. Plus, as they warned us, there was no air conditioning in the room so it was roasting hot. We ended up checking out at 8 pm on our second night and taking an early ferry back to LA. There was no way I'd stay in that room again. Like I said, maybe the rooms inside the hotel are fine, but be sure to ask before you book!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Altadena
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I've stayed at the Hermosa regularly since 1981, mostly solo but sometimes with wife or friends. My typical stay would be five days to enjoy hiking, biking, scuba diving, or just relaxing. The Hermosa was always an excellent value and an extended stay fit into my budget. However, the new owners have doubled or tripled the room rates making this hotel no longer affordable for a vacation stay. The new rates are being justified by such "upgrades" as heating, a/c, and bathrooms in every room, things that are completely unnecessary for someone staying here to enjoy the island not the hotel.

I'm returning to Avalon for a three day stay in November. With the Hermosa's new higher rates, I was able to get a room at the much newer and nicer Pavilion Hotel, right on the boardwalk, for less money.

Bottom line, I have wonderful memories of staying at the Hermosa on past trips but I won't be returning there. They had the economy motel market all to themselves, but by drastically raising their rates and adding needless upgrades to the rooms, they have lost their focus and their market. They will not be able to compete with other Avalon hotels at these extravagant prices. The Hermosa used to be the best deal in Avalon, but it isn't anymore.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends