“Will NOT stay there again”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Escondido, California
“Will NOT stay there again”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Had a room on the 1st floor with a queen size bed. The bed was pushed up against the wall to make room to enter the room. The person sleeping against the wall had to climb over the other person to get into the bed our out to use the bathroom. On the 2nd day of our stay the room was NOT made up or fresh towels to replace the soiled towels. After a "talk" with the front desk, the room was finally made up at 4PM. The room did not have a telephone to call the front desk. The baggage storage is a joke, it's an unsecure room at the end of the hallway with an open door until 8PM--so just come in and pick out
a piece of luggage and be on your way. One thing that was very annoying was an ice
machine outside our door, so all hours of the night someone was filling an ice
chest for a party--since it awakened us, we were not even invited to the party.When they advertise that the hotel was established in 1896 belive it--in 115 years I would think they could have made some improvements.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank picky09876

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
Moorpark, California
Reviewed July 4, 2011

This was our first trip to Catalina. We purchased a promotional "package" from Groupon and thought that it was a good deal. It seemed like we were getting a lot of Bang for our Buck. The staff was very nice. So nice, that we actually feel kind of bad giving the Hotel a negative review, but we wanted to let future potential guests know what they're in for. First, this place is OLD! They don't call it the "Historic Hermosa" for nothing. Second, we stayed in one of the bungalows. It was very small. We could tell they tried to keep it clean, but there was something just not right. For example: We could see daylight coming through around the edges of the front door. Third, the noise factor was a big problem. We heard lots of street noise, but worst of all was the constant yelling (in SPANISH) from all sides. The yelling went on all night. Forth, the bungalows are so close together, you can smell the gross food your "neighbors" from south of the border are cooking. The stench was horrible. Needless to say, if we ever go back to Catalina... we'll be looking for something a little nicer. We are not picky [high-maintainence] people, but we do have our limits and the Hermosa was just a little too much for us to bear.

Room Tip: Get away from the street. Lots of noise.
4 Thank Elvis1955

Travelers are raving about these Avalon hotels

costa mesa, ca
Reviewed June 30, 2011

First off, Catalina is a fairly expensive town for accomodations. My GF and I found a special on this hotel and had to book it for 2 nights. Overall it was a pleasant experience and considering the cost of other options, I would stay here again

We stayed in room #3, which is downstairs next to the storage room
Pros:
Affordable
High ceilings
Friendly staff
SCUBA Friendly
decent location

Cons:
No view - window opened up onto the staircase
Bed wasnt comfortable - 5 out of 10 stars
Maid service showed up at 4:30
Location was fairly noisy

Room Tip: ask for a room above the 1st floor
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Dirty Dirty Dirty Room
Carpet needed vacuuming, bed sheets did not fit and rolled up to expose a filthy mattress pad, dust everywhere. Could have all been improved with some quality control room checks and better trained housekeeping. Historic Landmark does not have to be this run down. Time to renovate and bring some dignity to this building.
The staff was pleasant though and took my comments seriously.
Friends back home will not be staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank seriousfun528
Culver City, California
Reviewed June 28, 2011

I had the Groupon which was 2 nights at the Hermosa plus 2 r/t ferry rides from LB/Catalina. I seriously considered canceling the trip and trying to refund the Groupon because that week had been so gloomy and chilly (It was Mid-June). I read reviews of this place here that scared me. Hostel environment? Didn't so nice for a getaway.

I was pleased to find the atmosphere was more like a European Guest House. A pleasant, pretty house with young, friendly staff and floors of rooms. We kept our bags in luggage room and explored the island until our room was ready (3 hours early) at which point they called my cell. The staff gets two thumbs up from me-- the whole time I found everyone extremely helpful and friendly, and I'm a pretty tough critic.

So we stayed in room 46 which is a "bungalow", a room thats kinda up on the roof and not part of the main house. You walk up three flights of stairs to get there, so If your main concern would be stairs/heavy luggage, then you may not prefer this room, but I actually liked it a lot- it felt extra private, like a tiny beach house with lots of sunlight (and a full bathroom, score). Also, if you're quite tall, be sure to duck on the stairs (my bf hit his head).

We had a couple of small issues (no remote for tv when we first got in) but the staff attended to this stuff quickly and thus it's not a complaint.

The only real problem was that the bed wasn't comfortable. So we actually changed our ferry ticket from monday morning super early to sunday evening last ride @ 9:15. Combined with having to rush to work from an 8 am ferry, it just seemed better to head back Sun night. So I told this to the nice kid at the front desk, and when he asked why were headed back early, I told him about the bed hurting my boyfriend's back.

He was very understanding and said that they had just received a bunch of brand new beds, and could switch it out and we'd be very comfortable. Unfortunately, we'd already paid to switch our ferry tickets. But the good news is that if you're headed here, you're may get the new comfy bed, and if you don't, just ask for it. It was very cool how he reacted and so I'll definitely give them my business again.

In fact, when I come back I'll probably reserve that same room. I would especially stay here if the money saved in accommodations meant I could come to Catalina more often!

Also I would have thought that everything in Avalon is "centrally located" but we actually took a long walk up the hills and found lots of small, sad-looking motels and guesthouses. The Hermosa is definitely head and shoulders nicer and is perfectly located.

The sun came out an hour after we arrived, and the whole weekend was FABULOUS. I had no idea I would love Catalina so much. So relaxing and romantic and fun. My favorite things were jet skiing (nothing was ever funner), drinking fun islandy cocktails (got my wiki wacked!) and laying out at the Descano Beach Club for only $2 if you bring your own towel.

2 Thank butfoodcomesfirst
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 17, 2011

Spent 2 nights for the Flying Fish Festival. We’ve stayed at better and worse. Fortunately we got Room 3 which is on the bottom floor next to the conference room, so we had no neighbors on either side. It was really quiet.
PROS:
Refrigerator and microwave in the room
Well lit room with fluorescent bulbs.
Bed was comfortable enough considering it’s not the Ritz.
Plenty of storage (although no closet - only some hooks on the wall)..
Great housecleaning staff. Very honest – left a camera and cell phone under the blanket when we left and thought they had been dropped somewhere. Returned to the room to find the bed made and both sitting next to the pillow.
Cool flatscreen TV.
Great location! Far removed from the loud clubs on Crescent Ave but still conveniently in the center of everything. Vons market right next door, tour group booths just across a parking lot., arcades across the street and down the block.
No parties allowed so overall atmosphere was quiet.
Remodeled BA was bright and nice.

CONS:
Small room with bed pushed all the way against the wall.
Not enough bed coverings for cooler nights.
No nightstand, so only the overhead light and no place for alarm clock – had to put on the floor next to bed.
Rug was kind of dingy – afraid to walk barefoot on it.
View out the window was directly into the next building’s wall and staircase. People on the second floor across from us could look directly into the room and bathroom if the windows were open.
Shelf in the BA made it almost impossible to shave and brush teeth.
They don’t include washcloths with the BA linens.
Because we were on the ground floor you could hear all the water draining from upper floors anytime people used the showers or toilets.
Unsecured luggage storage. Everyone seemed to be honest and we didn’t have anything taken while our bags were stored the entire last day, but would it really take a lot to put a lock on the door?

I don’t know if I’d stay here again or not – I guess it depends how tight a budget I was on. If you’re expecting to relax in the room reading a book this is not the place to stay. But if all you’re looking for is a bed at night in a reasonably clean and comfortable room, you can’t beat the price or location.

1 Thank mauikimo
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 12, 2011

The bedding was itchy and the room smelled damp. The staff was friendly so it's not their fault the hotel is more like a motel. Spend the money and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family