“Perfect for what we needed”
Review of Hermosa Hotel

Hermosa Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed June 1, 2011

My fiance and I completed a three day backpacking trip, starting from Two Harbors and ending in Avalon. After camping for two nights, we were ready more civilized accommodations. The room was small, but provided all that we needed for one night - most importantly a shower and a comfy bed.

If you just need a place to rest for a night or two and do not need many frills, this place is great!

Room Tip: best rates are in the off season
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 31, 2011

I bought the trip from groupon. $260 for two nights including fare on the Catalina Flyer out of Newport, Ca (very fast, 1 hr). It also included
two extras; two cinama tickets and a Segway tour......both were fun. I have come to the conclusion that 2 days and 1 night are enough on Catalina. The hotel is one notch above a dump. My wife endured and I just ignored the bad stuff. Rooms are small with a very tiny bathroom. We had one of the cottages. Many of the rooms had a "share a bothroom". I am not complaining, but was taken by the advertising for the groupon, thinking the hotel was a little better. This is more closely related to a hostel for students, which we saw many staying there.. Overall, my wife and I slept well but got tired of all the stairs to our room. No elevators to the third floor where our room was located. It was an adventure but we will not stay there again. This is a great place for the couple wanting to spend very little for a room

1  Thank jfott2000
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Definitely a budget hotel on the Island, but very pleasant service and a relaxed feel everywhere. Our room was pretty small, but comfortable, with a minifridge, microwave and good TV. Only trouble was, they were occupying the only electrical outlet in the bedroom! Hard to charge phones or computers. We felt very at ease there, despite the simplicity of the decor. Knowing it was built so long ago explained a lot about the small spaces. Pretty little front balconies over the street, and a nice bathroom. We'd go back. But don't look for luxury!

Reviewed May 17, 2011

My wife and I staryed here for two nights as a promo for a time-share presentation. This is a 1920's place with very small cabins. If you want luxury this is not the place for you. but if you want a great location, fair rates, great management, and a clean comfortable place to stay this is for you. It had a small kitchen with refrigerator but who is going to do much real cooking with all the restaurants there are in Catalina. One of the great things about the Hermosa is that it has a large storage room. That allowed us to leave our sutcases attended while we toured Avalon until our ferry left at 3:00 in the afternoon.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights. It was in a great location close to everything. A Vons grocery store was a close neighbor (just steps away) in which we could stock up on drinks & snacks and store them in our in room fridge. The room was clean and we had a flat screen in ours. Quaint feel and the staff were very accommodating and pleasant. To be able to leave your bags there even after you check out is awesome since our boat does not arrive until 4:30 and check out is at 11am. I would definately stay here again because of the service, location, and price. This is not a five star hotel so do not expect white glove service. We came here for the first time with no expectations and just wanted a place to sleep and shower since we had lots of activities we would be engaging in. The room served its purpose and my husband and I were very happy. We would stay here again and use the $$ we saved to spend on the fun activities this island has to offer. I can't wait to come back!! Thank you Hermosa!!

Room Tip: Close to everything!
Reviewed May 10, 2011

This hotel is located in Avalon which is near everything!
This hotel prides itself on being Catlina's economy hotel and this hotel is a great value, but because of that keep room expectations in check.
The room(s) that we stayed were pretty basic in that, they had a dresser, bathroom, tv, and a bed, but it shouldn't matter as you will most likely spend most of your time on the island.
On our first night, we got a room that was on the street and it was quite noisy (due to the golf carts) but management transferred us to a quieter vacant room with no hassle!
Overall great value if you need a place to sleep and stay at on the island along with excellent customer service!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We chose to stay at this hotel because we bought a 2 nights stay on Groupon. It was TERRIBLE! It's unfortunate too because the staff was extremely pleasant (which is why I gave the service 4 stars). We actually left a day early because we couldn't bear to sleep in the room one more day. It was really disappointing because we had been looking forward to a nice relaxing 3 day weekend. The hotel ruined it. In case you are thinking of staying here, please know that it is more like a hostel than a hotel (and a bad hostel at that, because I've stayed in cleaner hostels all around Europe).

When we first walked in to our room, I immediately noticed a small pile of what seemed to be insect eggs. My husband assured me they were not and we promptly took a tissue and got rid of them. Why I didn't turn around and walk out, I don't know. I wish I had. The floor slanted downward and just by looking at them, we could see the beds bending in the middle. I didn't even want to set my luggage down, for fear of contracting some disease. But I sucked it up (again, I don't know why). The walls were filthy and in desperate need of a good clean and re-paint. The blinds were hanging at odd angles and we had to re-arrange them in order to get them to close properly. The area behind the bed hadn't been vacuumed, maybe EVER. There was dust and who knows what else caked in the corners. I mean, really? I couldn't believe someone would even charge for a room like that! (Of course it doesn't make it better when someone like me PAYS for it either - never again!)

Also, the next morning at about 6 or 7am, the people who had a house on the hill right above and behind our cottage room decided to renovate. There was a ton of hammering and pounding. Here are some of the other things we noticed:

Holes in the sheets (all over - not just one or two)
Stains on the sheets!
Could feel the springs in the mattress
The sheets were paper thin so we could see the yellowed fabric of the pillows - time to get new pillows!!!!
NO insulation so you could hear everything
Floor was coated in a thick grime
Drawers of the dresser were stained and warped.
I was afraid to go in the shower without flip flop sandals, and we decided to forgo the showers in the end.

My advice: pay the extra money and stay somewhere else on Catalina. We wish we had.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple