“Las Flores Review.”

La Paloma Cottages Las Flores
US
“Las Flores Review.”
Reviewed June 11, 2007

Las Flores is a hotel that is committing totally false advertising.
It advertises that there are rooms with Ocean Views and Garden Views...
After I have read and reviewed the photos, I decided to book an Ocean View for 3 nights for a total of approx. $650, which is quite pricey, but I guess what the heck, it's a good opportunity to relax and allow my parents to enjoy life a little...
When I check-in to my room, I looked 360 degree and see no ocean views of any size or shape.
Quite disappointed that I complained to the manager and he gave me a lame excuse that the neighbor just put up a fence on the balcony that blocked the ocean view. A closer look at the fence reveal that it's old and appears to have been there for decade.
In addition, there are not ocean view balconies for all other rooms either.
Not only Las Flores commiting false advertising but also making up story to cover up.
I want to get an ocean view room for my parent to enjoy for a few days but instead I am getting a mountain view room for the price of ocean view.
It's a great shame for Las Flores to mislead tourist and to lie afterward.

Stayed June 2007
3 Thank lasflorescatalina

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Livermore, CA
Reviewed May 3, 2007

My husband, daughter and I stayed at La Paloma last weekend and we loved it. It was exactly what a family would need when visiting Catalina Island.

First let me start off by saying the grounds are beautiful and the owners are so nice. The fountian in the courtyard was wonderful to listen to late in the evening as we wound down from a day of exploring.

The suite we stayed in was exactly what we wanted - nothing fancy, just a clean place to hang out in. Its not fancy or decorated by an interior designer, just a simple place with a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, couch and a huge king sized bed. A nice plus was an oversized tub/spa that we took great pleasure in using every evening.

There is breakfast included in the cost of the room, served outside the office and bought fresh from the market in the morning. My daughter and I ran into Tony on our mocha run in the Von's getting the necessary supplies! Again, nothing fancy - juice, coffee, fruit and bagels/danishes/whatever... but it was a perfect way to get the day started.

Would we stay there again? Absolutely. And we'll bring the in-laws with us!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank drum_roll_please
Lakewood, CA
Reviewed December 20, 2006

These cottages are very charming and cozy! They are great for couples. My fiance and I arrived in Avalon mid-morning and although the check-in time was 3 p.m., we were not only allowed to check in early, we got a room upgrade at no additional charge. They have economical packages that include roundtrip boat tickets from Long Beach/two excursion choices (we did the undersea and Avalon tour on bus)/ 1 night stay for two guests. The service was excellent, there's a couple with small children who run the establishment and they are very nice. I highly recommend this lodging for anyone who appreciates good service, serenity, and charm. The property is covered with lovely plants and upon entering you'll see a fountain with patio chairs and bbquer's. I will definetly come here again!!!

• Liked — Romantic Cozy Cottages
  • Disliked — No swimming pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Great for couples who look forward to a quiet and peacful room after a full day of sightseeing, walking, shopping, etc.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank shellies
California
Reviewed September 6, 2006

This is the kind of place you either like alot or not at all. The setting is like being in a small fairy village on the side of a hill. with rustic style cottage that have tiny kitchens and small bathrooms. The walls and floors are somewhat crooked. The staff was nice, and there are plants everywhere with trellises, vines, bences, etc. We had a great hill side and sea view from a corner room.We paid an extra $10 bucks for an "Ocean view". ( Here, Ocean view does not mean close to the beach type view) Pack light, there are lots of steps if you want a room with a view. Also, there is a sign asking you to do the dishes and take out the trash. I don't think that any place that charges more that $100 should make such a request. We complied anyway. There were a few Ants here and there. And no screen on the windows. (hey, the windows actually open wide) Lots of fresh mountain air. While quieter than the waterfront in the evening, you will hear folks in the neighborhood as it is located in a residential area. In the AM you will hear folks leaving for work. However late evening was very quiet. It was simple and quite pleasant. Try for rooms 9, & 16. I would return in a more casual mood.

Stayed September 2006
7 Thank house2house
Woodland Hills, CA
Reviewed August 14, 2006

Since there are no real "budget" accommodations on Catalina Island I was expecting the worst while hoping for the best from this mid-priced ($150) cottage hotel. I was more than pleased with the arrangement once we arrived. The location was excellent, nestled into a hillside away from traffic and street noise, and the staff very friendly and helpful. The rooms are very basic, and showing their age, but still charming in a rustic kind of way. We had some minor complaints, such as TV remotes which wouldn't work in either room. But the rooms are small enough that this seems like a rather modern complaint, in a less than modern property. But it is the lack of more modern conveniences that makes La Paloma worth a visit. Hot water was sufficient, fridge clean and cold, area was quiet (during the week), and we felt safe and very welcome. Having stayed at the more basic Catalina hotels in the past, it is clearly worth a little extra money to stay here. As good as any of the "luxury" accommodations, as long as you know you are going back in time a little bit, which is part of the Catalina experience anyway.

• Liked — Quiet
  • Disliked — Old Fixtures
  • Tips/Secrets — During the week is best
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
5 Thank PDT
Reviewed August 13, 2006

Hi,
I have to tell a remarkable story about this hotel to future guests.

First of all, I am a native Californian, and I am surprised that there are so few people that live here that have actually travelled to Catalina. It is like a whole other world there, where time has stood still for a few decades, like to the 1950's or so.

I grew up with parents that were very fond of Catalina. My mother had been taken there many times as a child, and she wanted us to go there often. For over 40 years my parents took us there once or twice a year. I remember going on the Great White Steamer many times. It took about 3 hours and it was a lot of fun. I really do miss that boat!!

Now there are many more options, and the boats are much faster. In fact, a new fast catamaran type ship, the Catalina Flyer, just started up from Marina del Rey, which is great. I live very close to the Marina and now I can park my car FREE and take the Catalina Flyer to Catalina. It takes about an hour and a half, and I don't have to go to Long Beach. And did I say there is a lot of FREE parking!!

I remember the great pin ball halls in Catalina that have been replaced, but the rest of the island seems the same.

The hotel Las Flores/La Paloma is fantastic. It is just like going to Italy. It truly looks like a Tuscan villa. There is the new part and the old part. The new part is better for families and children, and if you have a harder time getting around, because the older part more stairs. In fact, the higher you want to go, the more stairs, but the views of Catalina are fantastic. There are some rooms with a view of everything. At the Ritz Carlton these rooms would be more expensive, but hey, this hotel is about 100 years old and what charm (the new section is about 10 or so years old).

There is a very charming fountain and I hear the owners may put in a hot tub.

The hotel sits by itself at the end of a private street, and is away from it all. You can go to the action by walking one block, or come here and get away from everything.

I stayed in a higher room with a view of everything. This is what I would recommend.

The staff is the best. Tony and his family will try their best to get anything for you, or let you know what is going on on the island.

I think the best time to come here is off season. It is less crowded, the room rates are lower, and you can really get a feel for what the island is all about.

There is a lot to do in Catalina, and so many restaurants. You should stay about 4 or 5 days, and look for a deal if possible.

I think I will continue to come to Catalina at least twice a year, as I did with my parents. By the way, they are both alive and still come to Catalina at least once a year.

• Liked — Great choice, great views, closeness to main street and attractions
  • Disliked — Could use some new bedspreads and carpets
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask when the hot tub will be added, but look for the romantic fountain.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dougster5
Big Bear Lake, CA
Reviewed June 19, 2006

We just got back from a four-day stay at the La Paloma Cottages. The cottages we stayed at were originally tent cabins built in the 1900's, so some "rusticness" such as uneven floors should be expected, and some stair climbing needs to be done, depending on how high up your cottage is. We stayed in #4 which is about half way up the stairs, across from the office. The overhead trellis with plants just added to the atmosphere of this place! The cabins were very clean, staff was very friendly and helpful. It is located on a quiet cul-de-sac up a hilly street, two blocks from the tour center, and 2 blocks to the tiny Vons grocery store. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the Catalina Express boat dock. A nice continental breakfast is included, we definitely WILL be back!

Be sure to go on the "Isthmus Cruise" which takes you to the small village of Two Harbors for a delicious dinner (the blackened salmon dish was to die for!) and the "flying fish" on the way back is unforgettable. Be sure to dress warm as it is an open boat.

Catalina has so much history, the four days we were there was still not enough. Also be sure to see the Catalina museum in the Casino!

Stayed June 2006