“Italy in California, on Catalina Island!!”

La Paloma Cottages Las Flores
“Italy in California, on Catalina Island!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2006

Hi,
I have to tell a remarkable story about this hotel to future guests.

First of all, I am a native Californian, and I am surprised that there are so few people that live here that have actually travelled to Catalina. It is like a whole other world there, where time has stood still for a few decades, like to the 1950's or so.

I grew up with parents that were very fond of Catalina. My mother had been taken there many times as a child, and she wanted us to go there often. For over 40 years my parents took us there once or twice a year. I remember going on the Great White Steamer many times. It took about 3 hours and it was a lot of fun. I really do miss that boat!!

Now there are many more options, and the boats are much faster. In fact, a new fast catamaran type ship, the Catalina Flyer, just started up from Marina del Rey, which is great. I live very close to the Marina and now I can park my car FREE and take the Catalina Flyer to Catalina. It takes about an hour and a half, and I don't have to go to Long Beach. And did I say there is a lot of FREE parking!!

I remember the great pin ball halls in Catalina that have been replaced, but the rest of the island seems the same.

The hotel Las Flores/La Paloma is fantastic. It is just like going to Italy. It truly looks like a Tuscan villa. There is the new part and the old part. The new part is better for families and children, and if you have a harder time getting around, because the older part more stairs. In fact, the higher you want to go, the more stairs, but the views of Catalina are fantastic. There are some rooms with a view of everything. At the Ritz Carlton these rooms would be more expensive, but hey, this hotel is about 100 years old and what charm (the new section is about 10 or so years old).

There is a very charming fountain and I hear the owners may put in a hot tub.

The hotel sits by itself at the end of a private street, and is away from it all. You can go to the action by walking one block, or come here and get away from everything.

I stayed in a higher room with a view of everything. This is what I would recommend.

The staff is the best. Tony and his family will try their best to get anything for you, or let you know what is going on on the island.

I think the best time to come here is off season. It is less crowded, the room rates are lower, and you can really get a feel for what the island is all about.

There is a lot to do in Catalina, and so many restaurants. You should stay about 4 or 5 days, and look for a deal if possible.

I think I will continue to come to Catalina at least twice a year, as I did with my parents. By the way, they are both alive and still come to Catalina at least once a year.

• Liked — Great choice, great views, closeness to main street and attractions
  • Disliked — Could use some new bedspreads and carpets
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask when the hot tub will be added, but look for the romantic fountain.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank dougster5

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Big Bear Lake, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

We just got back from a four-day stay at the La Paloma Cottages. The cottages we stayed at were originally tent cabins built in the 1900's, so some "rusticness" such as uneven floors should be expected, and some stair climbing needs to be done, depending on how high up your cottage is. We stayed in #4 which is about half way up the stairs, across from the office. The overhead trellis with plants just added to the atmosphere of this place! The cabins were very clean, staff was very friendly and helpful. It is located on a quiet cul-de-sac up a hilly street, two blocks from the tour center, and 2 blocks to the tiny Vons grocery store. It's about a 10-15 minute walk from the Catalina Express boat dock. A nice continental breakfast is included, we definitely WILL be back!

Be sure to go on the "Isthmus Cruise" which takes you to the small village of Two Harbors for a delicious dinner (the blackened salmon dish was to die for!) and the "flying fish" on the way back is unforgettable. Be sure to dress warm as it is an open boat.

Catalina has so much history, the four days we were there was still not enough. Also be sure to see the Catalina museum in the Casino!

Stayed June 2006
10 Thank John A
san diego, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2006

We booked these accomodations based on reviews by other travelers that stayed at the La Paloma Cottages and were so pleased with the results. I love this place. The staff is super friendly and helpful. They offered a really reasonable package deal including hotel and transportation. This place is really clean and close to everything. I loved having the kitchenette--Von's grocery store is very close by. Restaurants are only two blocks away and the world's greatest mini golf course is right down the street. I have absolutley no complaints... we will definitly be back.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank linzall
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2006

My husband and I just stayed there this past weekend and loved it. Yes, you have to clean up after yourselves. Yes, the rooms are very basic. Yes, you have to take the trash out. But that was part of the beauty of it. You don't have to hurry and get up early for the housekeepers to come in and clean up. You can stay in bed all day and not be bothered. You don't have to pay high prices for dinner---just go to the market around the corner and make yourself dinner whenever you want to. The front desk people were very friendly and helpful. I've noticed that if you go in with an attitude of "I'm special--you do as I bid" you don't get very special treatment. If you go in as friendly and respectful of others as you should--you love where ever you go and make everyone else want to help you have a great time. Make some memories--

• Stayed February 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Juan Capistrano, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2005

Anybody ever visit the Haunted Shack at Knott's Berry Farm? Well, from the outside, La Paloma is FAR nicer....outside. Beautiful wisteria that must be close to 100 years old, weathered but charming patios, and a unique and quaint archetectural style I would call "early California Motor Court Hodgepodge".

But upon venturing inside our little housekeeping unit, my brain first registered shock...and then I burst into a fit of laughter! I said to my husband "It's the Haunted Shack!!!!". The floors were so warped that our dresser actually was falling at a severe angle into the corner of the room. The closet (built as an afterthought as it was OUTSIDE the perimeter of the wall) had a door that was trapezoidal (indicating the out-of-plumb situation). But wait. It gets better: the shower was in the kitchen! It must have been put in what may have originally been a pantry or broom closet..I had to laugh! (Although, for what we paid per night, I should have been crying...) It was not filthy, but the screens could have used a good dusting and the little "cold box" in the kitchen wall (!!!??) had all sorts of dirt in it...guess they were not counting on my opening it up. The previous guests had done a good job washing the dishes, so that was not a problem, but the wall hung lamp got a good swat from my husbands arm when he turned over in bed..it was not far up enough on the wall and..BOOM! Flying lampshade. The incongruency of the bed coverings was funny, too. The queen bed had an 80's grey and mauve swirly flower thing going on, and the trundle/daybed had PINK GINGHAM! That color combo, when juxtaposed with the brown hi-lo undulating elevation carpeting...well...!

The staff was EXTREMELY NICE. I must say that. And the complimentary coffee was good. It was easy walking distance to downtown. No mice or rats or bugs...so that was good. And I guess I will get lots of mileage out of telling stories about our stay so there is a plus side!

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank BUGLADYLjj
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2005

We just got back from spending four nights at La Paloma and had a wonderful time. I can understand why a couple of the reviews here may have found it lacking, but really such a response must be from someone looking for something other than the rustic charm La Paloma provides. It's an old place, and some painting appears to be in progress, but for us that just made it all the better, like one would expect renting a cottage in a European villa. It's a cottage, not a hotel room, so there's no annoying interruptions all day for room cleaning, turn-down service, etc. Each cottage has an adequate kitchen and it's close to the market so you can eat in now and then if you like (the restaurants in Avalon are great, but breakfast gets busy so we made good use of the kitchen each morning).

If you're looking for yet another corporate chain hotel, La Paloma isn't for you. But if you're looking for a charming place with lots of floral vines, cozy cottages, and really helpful service then you'll fall in love with La Paloma.

Tip: Reserve well in advance and request unit 16 -- the panoramic view is outstanding, with lots of windows and a large private balcony. We spent our first night in unit 7, which was charming enough, but unit 16 is a world unto itself.

And forget what the other poster wrote about chairs. My gal and I laughed when we got there, having read that review: there are chairs everywhere, both in the cottages and on the patios for each, and we just can't figure out if that person even stayed in the same inn.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband, 3 1/2 year-old daughter, and myself stayed at La Paloma the weekend of May 20, 2005. The outside of the hotel (it looks more like extremely old cottages - built in 1900's) itself is very quaint - old, but quaint. There are beautiful vines and flowers that cover the archways and and the walls of the hotel, and the staff at the front desk are extremely pleasant. However, I wish someone would have described the rooms prior to us choosing this hotel. The room consisted of a queen bed and a trundle bed for my daughter. There was no other seating in the front room. There was a dresser with two drawers that worked and one that had no handles and was broken off its slider. There was a tv with a VCR, but again, the only place to sit to watch this was on either of the beds, no chairs! The bathroom was okay, except for when you pulled the light switch cord, the whole light unit would turn on the wall (needs a few more screws). The shower was good size, but I would recommend wearing water shoes or water socks in the shower. The kitchen had a table, sink, stove/oven, and cupboards. The cupboards were stocked with dishes, glasses, utensils, and pots and pans. However, when my husband opended the cupboards with the pots and pans - he said we would be eating out every meal. Later I found out why they probabaly are in the condition they are in - you "the guest" have to do all your dishes prior to checkout. Also, you have to take all your trash out at the end of your stay. For the nightly rate we paid, I couldn't believe we had to do anything.

Good Luck.