Aurora Hotel
Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$269
$249
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$199
$178
$159
Hotel Metropole(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$229
$206
  • Breakfast included
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$379
Pavilion Hotel(Avalon)
TripAdvisor
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsrooftop deckcontinental breakfastfrosted glassjunior suitecouples massageboutique hotelsmall balconysteep hillview of the bayenjoy the viewthe main streetcatalina islandstandard roomcoffee makervery nice hotelsteamersour honeymoon
Reviewed December 24, 2013

From the time we booked it with Diana - class act.
1) Customer Service is great - nice touch - we got to select a bottle of wine from a myriad of choices - Diana brought it to our room chilled.
2) Room 213 - top / corner with view of the bay - if you can land it - big win.
3) Robes - nice touch.
4) Ignore previous reviews about hill - if you are breathing - it is not a concern....I think 100 steps, really I can't believe people highlight this as an issue - if they do, they probably should not even be traveling!
5) When we departed - significant discount card for next stay - great time - great service - great stay.

Only down side - carpet in room could use a refresh and no tub - not an issue for us, just full and open disclosure for the audience reading this review.

Room Tip: 6) Nice complimentary breakfast - take it to the roof top common area - cool place to eat, well done with a modern / hip lay out.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank larevue
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Catalina Island's Avalon is a very small place, super European in size. 80% of the vehicles are some sort of golf cart and the streets are tiny, and mostly steep. Also, we came in the off-season, which I highly recommend.

We should have called when we arrived, because we made the long journey (.7 miles) to the tiny side door opening (yes, up the 350 feet of steep hill) because they will give you a voucher to pay for your taxi ride in and back to the ferry when you leave. It's a way smaller entrance than you'd expect for sure, but the inside is nice and the staff will make you think you're in a b&b. They're so kind, generous with local information and generally made my stay.

I did a lot of research on rooms before we booked it. We had to use a Groupon for the Flyer and with 2 weeks to go before the expiration, so a Thanksgiving getaway it was. We decided a fun tub, good-sized room and comfy bed were a must and we liked the modern, boutique feel of this place. We bypassed the standard room for the junior suite with the jetted tub, we wanted to enjoy our room. If I was coming for the touristy stuff, the standard room/small bathroom would work, but it's really small, because the space here is a commodity! The shampoo/conditioner/body wash were Rusk, so I didn't even have to unpack my own. They also had a steamer in each room if things get wrinkly on the way here.

The room was updated, but like everything else here, has some age, which is fine, it adds character. We had a king temperpedic with a giant tub (for one, just sorta big for two, hehe) and a sectional sofa with large flatscreen, dvd player, cocktail bar set, fridge, microwave and a Kuerig. Harbor view was okay, I could stand on the bed and see the ocean (I'm short). It did say partial-view, so that's fair.

Just up the stairs was a fantastic rooftop area overlooking the harbor that was completely vacant. Hubs and I enjoyed the 65 degree day with a couple of bottles of their dry procecco (only $20) and some sun soaked naps. And since the hotel doesn't encourage children, they seem very interested in you enjoying yourself (responsibly and not to the detriment of others) with some booze.

I cannot say enough good things about the people at this hotel. Everyone we encountered was as helpful as anyone could ever be, it felt like they were actually hosting us, rather than we were paying to be there. We'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Just get the junior suite, it's worth it. Very quiet hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank contrari
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I made a reservation after reviewing the reviews on Trip Advisor. I attended the jazz festival. The Aurora sits on a hill so you will get a good work out. Richard and Ramiro were Very Helpful. The room was small, modern and clean. the only thing that was missing was a tub. The room had everything you could need. There outdoor patio view is Awesome! I love Catalina, I have already made reservations to return to the hotel next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Dallas77_11
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is the best hotel for price in all of avalon. The staff are friendlier than most hotels anywhere. The rooms are small but perfect size for a couple or a single traveller. Continental breakfast was above and beyond most at any other hotel and the true gem of this hotel is the rooftop patio which overlooks the city/bay. This will be the only place I will stay when visiting catalina.

Room Tip: Any room has a good view but some have views of the bay. Choose these if you can. You won't regret it
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sean K
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was my first trip to Catalina and I loved every minute of it! The hotel Aurora is located on a steep little hill, so yes if you have trouble walking it may not be the best choice, if however, you are able, this little hill is not going to phase you!
Once at the hotel we found the staff to be super friendly and helpful, this continued throughout our 4 day stay. The view from the roof top was lovely and the fact that the hotel is located off the main street allowed us to sleep with our windows open it was so quiet.
The rooms and bathrooms are quite small but adequate and the little extra touches like the Keurig coffee/tea makers, refrigerators, robes, beach bags/towels and comfy beds in the rooms made up for the lack of a "wee bit" extra space.
My one complaint would be that I felt the bed linens and towels were a little "tired and worn", and I would expect a hotel like this one to replace these as soon as they begin to get tattered and certainly when they get holes in them!
That said I would certainly go back to the Aurora and look forward to returning soon!

Room Tip: Choose an Ocean View room
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple