“Hard to beat for the price!”
Review of Aurora Hotel

Aurora Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I admit, we did splurge and get one of the mini-suites and what a first impression it made! The room is just incredible with a fantastic view of the harbor as well! I guess we all expect flat screen TVs by now, so that was no surprise. The room is pretty big and decorated nicely!
Etched glass separating the room from the bath. Sliding frosted glass doors (sexy)and the jacuzzi tub was a treat also! We went up to the roof top patio for wine and talking and met some nice people up there. Morning came and although the room has black out curtains, the glass from the bathroom let quite a bit of light in. i don't know if they can do anything about that without ruining the effect, but it would be nice to sleep in a little longer. However, with a Keurig in each room and a continental breakfast waiting in the morning, there was no need to hurry and leave when we woke up. Staff could not have been nicer. We came down to the front desk and saw Lori smiling from behind a headset working with a client on the phone. She also works at the Avalon Hotel and is just so helpful and proud of her work! It's a little bit farther to walk, since it is at the far end of town, but really... it's only a block or so.

Room Tip: As in any hotel in Avalon, the higher, the better spend a couple extra bucks on the mini-suite if y...
1  Thank Randy R

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great romantic little hotel off the main road, showers/overall space are small in the standard suite but you don't really need a lot of room anyway. Loved the modern theme and all the staff were kind and inviting. If you stay here definitely get a massage from Lavina and/or Melinda!! My fiancée and I got a couples massage that was out of this world fantastic!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Stefunny415
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My hubby & I would definitely recommend this great hotel. From the moment we made rezzies (with Diana), we knew we had selected the right place for our stay. EVERYONE who works there is so warm & friendly. They all went out of their way to ensure that all of our needs were met. Many thanks to Laurie, Diana, and Romero. Rosie was amazing! She recommended a great tour for us to take & then made the reservations for us. She was a wonderful resource for restaurant suggestions, as well as arranging a golf cart rental for us. Thank you Rosie!

The hotel is not situated on the main street, which we enjoyed because it was very quiet. However, it seriously took us 1 minute to walk to the city center! (It is up a short hill, maybe 50 yards). It is contemporary, clean, comfortable and very well-maintained. The rooms may not be the largest BUT it was definitely enough room for the two of us. The tempurpedic bed was like sleeping on a cloud, the pillows fluffy, the robes they provided were cozy & an added bonus. Along with all that, there was a Keurig coffee machine in our room and also complimentary bottles of water. The bathroom was tiny, but once again there was enough room for us.

The continental breakfast was perfect-muffins, bagels, pastries, yogurt, fresh fruit, oatmeal, cold cereal, hard boiled eggs. More than enough to give us our fuel for the day. The lobby had unlimited coffee, tea and fresh fruit all day long.

The deck on the 3rd floor had incredible views of the harbor. A perfect place to suntan or read. Listening to the soft bell chimes from the Chimes Tower during the day was so relaxing!

On the day of the departure, they watched our bags for us while we did a tour (as we were leaving later in the afternoon). They also invited us to use the sun deck after our tour & while we were waiting our boat to depart. You must stay here and experience all of this when you visit Catalina. R&J. Encinitas, Ca.

1  Thank joper640
Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Aurora Hotel was a last minute choice, but we were so happy with that choice. We were off the main street just enough to avoid uncomfortable noises. The building has been remodeled into a fresh, ultra modern hotel with attention given to make the stay enjoyable. Keurig beverage makers made teas and coffees to match various guest choices. The Tempurpedic beds were wonderful and a good way to determine if you want one for home. The robes, which I believe came with all rooms, added luxury to the stay. Although our room did not have a view of the ocean, the roof was a great place to enjoy the sun and ocean view.

The continental breakfast was definitely enough food to avoid having to go out for breakfast. Pastries, coffees, teas, hard boiled eggs, cereals and fruits were among our choices. Our package also included taxis to and from the boat, and the boat fares as well.

Bottled water was free in the room rather than at an exorbitant charge. Microwaves and refrigerators were all included.

The rooms were not large, but the design took advantage of the space particularly well.

Everything was attractive and spotless We are all looking forward to visiting Catalina and staying at the Aurora again based on atmosphere and staff attentiveness.

Thank you especially to Richard and Kathleen for superb service. It was obvious that there is attention to all details that make a stay one you want to do again.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

For my first trip to Catalina getting to stay at the Aurora made it even better. I arrived to the island in the morning for a trip I won through work for a one night stay. My girlfriend and I explored the island and then headed to the Aurora. We were greeted by the friendly staff and they held my bag for me since my room wasn't ready. My girlfriend was upset she wouldn't be able to stay (she had work next day) since we walked into such a beautiful setting. We walked around town, found the local bar, while waiting for the room to be ready. When we got back to the property my room was ready and it was simply beautiful. I had a little balcony with a view of the harbor. The room itself was a little on the small side, but I work at a similar hotel so the quaintness didn't bother me at all. They had a Keurig coffee maker in my room with a ton of coffee and tea pods to choose from. The queen bed was very inviting and turned out to be tempurpedic! They have a wonderful little rooftop (unfortunately it was raining earlier in the day so it wasn't set) that has a view of the mainland, which was nice since I usually have a view of the island from home. All in all this was a perfect 1st getaway to Catalina and I've been telling everyone about the Aurora since 2011!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 23, 2013

A beautiful hotel. Rooms clean, comfortable,, modern and staff extremely friendly. Laurie and Diana were wonderful. The upper deck overlooking the harbor and town was great for a adult beverage after a busy day. After living in Ca for 30 years, and never taking the 26 mile trip it was a great experience. The Aurora will not disappoint! Paul & Diane

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 8, 2013

To start off with, the rates, availability, and reviews are what brought us to this hotel. This trip was for our 10th anniversary. The package included the boat trip from Long Beach. When we arrived we were met at the counter by super friendly staff and shown to our room. We were very impressed. The room was super clean and inviting. Reservations were made ahead of time for us to have a couples massage, and then dinner at Steve's Steak house (never made it to the dinner). The massage was the best we have ever had! Way better than what you will get from other massage businesses and the price was incredible. Here is where I was really impressed, My Father in-law was admitted to the hospital and we needed to return a night early. The Hotel staff not only gave us there best wishes, they refunded our night that we were not able to stay. Not all hotels would do that. I will stay here again and I will recommend this hotel/spa to everyone I know. Thank you for a fantastic trip!

The Peterson's.

Room Tip: Room 315 was a good size although not a view room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple