“Don't stay in the cheap rooms!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Catalina Boat House
Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
CA
“Don't stay in the cheap rooms!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2004

I just stayed here this past weekend with my boyfriend in one of the cheap rooms ($95, 3/4 shower with no jacuzzi/tub). The room was EXTREMELY small with little barely enough room for two people to walk through and we are not big people. The bathroom was very tiny and the closet doors wouldn't open without some lifting (they didn't glide on their tracks). Only amenities in the room were soap, towels, and extra roll of toilet paper. Ants were seen crawling up and down the bathroom walls. The room we had was surrounded by two patios and it got to be noisy from people talking and walking around outside at all hours of the night. Also, we oculd hear was what going on in the room downstairs through the air vents in our room and I'm sure they could hear us. The staff at least were friendly and they did offer complimentary shuttle service. The "hike" up the hill to the hotel turned out to be not as bad from the reviews I read here. If you are looking for a low-end budget hotel, then this might be the place for you. However, I don't recommend staying for the cheapest price. Splurge a bit and you may get something more decent than what we got.

3 Thank meyww

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mattoon, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2004

I have stayed at the Catalina Beach House many times through the past several years and I look forward to each trip. I recommend the top suite. It is really affordable and is like having your own place in Catalina. A gorgeous view, private balcony, kitchen and not to mention the BBQ and the porch swing. Always friendly people. I love going back and always recommend to friends.

4 Thank Hikingfanatic1
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2004

Very nice place. About ten years ago we stayed in several rooms there along with our daughter and new husband. Very friendly and helpfull people at the hotel. We were surprised when they met us at the boat and gave us a ride to the hotel on the hilltop. Gary & Michelle Wise

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2004

Enjoyed the visit Upon arriving in Avalon, we were greeted by the "courtesy van" for our ride to the hotel. We had been planning our trip to Catalina island for some time, and with all the Hotels to call and choose from, it was a confusing choice, some people were rude, some not helpful at all. We took our chances by staying at the Catalina Beach house, and our intuition served us well. The place was like a home away from home, the room had a small stove, refer T.V. VCR, and even patios outside to Bbq at... The staff was super and very helpful? Thank you Catalina Beach House! Mike & Susan

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2004

This hotel is like having a little apartment. It was cozy, and very quiet to my new husband and I. Last minute honeymoon plans were accomodated the morning of my wedding. This little hotel will always be a yearly honeymoon spot for us.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2004

Shopping around the many Hotels in Avalon, was NOT the easiest chore in the world. But I finally found a place that answered the phone friendly and polite. They answered all my questions, and kept their patience, unlike the other hotels I contacted. And upon arrival the courtesy did not change, from the driver of the free shuttle ride, all the way thru check in and check out... If you want a friendly, clean, comfortable place to stay, this is the best recommendation in Catalina.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2004

After calling about 20 hotels I talked to Diane at the Catalina Beach house. She was so nice to me (unlike so many of the other rude hotel operators!) that I decided to stay there. Their hotel shuttle was there at the boat to greet us, how welcome we felt!! Upon entering our room I was impressed by the cleanliness and the fresh smell.The room was very cozy and romantic,the decor was so colorful and pretty. We totally enjoyed the relaxing patio with all the beautiful plants and flowers. I will tell all of my family and friends that this is the best place to stay in Catalina!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member