“Clean, Comfortable Lodging”

Hotel Atwater
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Garden Grove, CA
Reviewed August 23, 2004

Last week my sister and I stayed 3 nights at the Atwater and found it very satisfactory indeed. We got one of the "economy" rooms--no A/C, but on cool, breezy Catalina an electric fan (supplied) is all you need.

The hotel's location is perfect--1/2 block from the beach and right in the middle of town.

We'd asked for a nonsmoking room and got one. The room was clean and sweet-smelling. The private bath had obviously been added on later, as the washbasin was in the room, but everything worked fine. The king bed was comfortable and there were extra blankets in pillows in the closet. Yes, the closet--there was a real closet in the room. The room was compact but not claustrophobic; it had a table and two chairs and a desk/vanity table.

We didn't have a view, but that wasn't a big consideration for us. We just wanted a clean, comfortable place to rest and sleep, and the Atwater filled the bill perfectly.

The hotel personnel were friendly and helpful and got our luggage back to the boat dock without a problem.

We definitely plan to stay at the Atwater again--although next time we'll opt for a third-floor room, as there was a bit of street noise on our last night. (A US Navy ship was in harbor for shore leave!)

• Stayed: August 2004
17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

denver, colorado
Reviewed February 17, 2004

This is the worst place that i have ever stayed at. It was supposed to be a fun field trip, but is sure wasn't. The rooms smelt so bad that i had to spray hairspray all around. it was also very humid in the hotel rooms. it had a verry musty smell to it. I only had fun when i was outside of the hotel in the sun. I would not reccomend this hotel to anyone. The picture on the internet does not look at all like the rooms really are. They are so small you could barly live there for a minute without getting costrophobic. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!! EACH YEAR THAT I GO HERE IT KEEPS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE. IT IS NOT GOOD FOR FEILD TRIPS EITHER.!@!!!@@@

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 27, 2003

I've roomed at the Atwater on my last two visits to Catalina as a scuba diver, with and without my family. As a diver, my intent is to eat, sleep and dive. My room was economically priced and that satisfied my needs. I wouldn't recommend the Atwater for a romantic getaway, but it is close to the pier, conveniently located for diving at the Casino, a short walk from a dozen places to eat, and it fits into a challenged budget. Whether it's a disappointment or not depends on your priority as a visitor. I prefer the Pavilion or Best Western for a family weekend. I rely on the Atwater when I'm trying to keep expenses down.
Briefly, don't expect a mint on your pillow in the morning, but it's a good option for a diver on a budget.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 16, 2003

We found this hotel to be clean and kid friendly. The newly redone rooms are the only way to go. The lack of an elevator is a pain but you adjust. Location, Location, location. If you want to get the most out of every moment on the island, this is perfect.

8  Thank lyk2ski
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed September 7, 2003

This place has been affectionately renamed "Ratwater" by an awful lot of people. I have somehow wound up there several times on several trips, and I am less impressed every time.

If someone wakes up early in the building, you will too. I had this problem when some divers woke up on the other side of the building.
Conversational tones manage to carry into every room. So, I went outside in the early morning hours and the first thing I saw was a man in an orange jumpsuit with the words "LA COUNTY JAIL" stenciled on the back. He was sweeping the street of the jail/court/library next door.

I am on vacation. I don't want to see this.

I guess you get what you pay for, but unless you are going to be too toasted to care, I'd find somewhere else to stay.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oceanside, CA
Reviewed April 29, 2003

The hotel looked nothing like in their add.The hotel was clean but had a musty smell and the rooms were the smallest I have ever seen. They were also very sparcely furnished.We were so disappointed that we immediately checked out and into another hotel.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2003

This hotel is definitely "not fancy" but I'd stay there again. You really want to book one of the new "recently renovated" rooms as they are SO much nicer and worth the bit extra money. It is very centrally located in Avalon, close to the waterfront. Worse part is the lack of elevator which is making me think twice now that I have a baby and all the stuff that goes along with that, but for the money you can't get a better deal on Catalina Island.

15  Thank LaLa_Girl2014