“Good deal if you book early, great service.”
Review of Hotel Atwater

Hotel Atwater
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Good deal if you book early, great service.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Location is great, nearly in the middle of the boardwalk. Arriving at the hotel around 9am, we were accommodated right away, didn't have to wait for 3pm to check in. The room itself was nothing fancy. Seems that was the actual approach, to leave some sort of old school vibe for the guests. Rooms were clean and not dusty, no weird smells. No trouble sleeping through the night. Service was great and everyone was pleasant. Personally, I feel the cost was a little high. Although all stays on the island are overpriced, I felt that Hotel Atwater could have been more affordable for what they provide.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank John H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were attending a friend's wedding and staying for one night, and as such, this hotel (from a pre-negotiated list and rates) was the most affordable for those on a budget. We had read the reviews, so we were prepared for a lot of stairs and a small room, both of which we encountered.

Because I work hard at being an optimist, I have to believe that the Hotel Atwater is renovating all of their rooms in stages, and the first stage is the bed, which was newer compared to the rest of the room and super super comfy. The TV is still the big boxy model, but what really needs to be upgraded before the TV are the bathrooms. I knew it would be slightly scary, but I was not expecting the threshold between bedroom and bathroom to have protruding metal bits. Not sharp enough to puncture skin, thank goodness, but unpleasant none the less. I did alert the front desk staff, and they were very apologetic and made a note for maintenance.

The front desk staff are very pleasant and make every effort to accommodate you and your needs. They stored our bags when we got there and gave a call when our room was ready (12pm, thank you thank you). And they also stored our bags when we checked out.

A great location, pleasant staff, just please please do something about those bathrooms. Or wear flip flops to the bathroom. That would work too, I imagine. :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Writerchickie
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The staff is generally very helpful, but I was very disappointed with the rooms on this visit. The rooms are somewhat small, which was not my issue, but some of the rooms were priced disproportionately high for the additional square footage (maybe 20) they called an upgraded room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan K
Temecula, CA
Reviewed October 1, 2013

A friend and I stayed for two nights in late September. The hotel is obviously older, but you can see it was probably something in it's hey day. There is no elevator, so be prepared to haul your luggage and climb stairs. We had a large room. The bathroom was adequate, but could probably use some updating. We had no problems with anything. No refrigerator or microwave. Half a block to the beach; less than that to the "Tour Plaza" where lots of the tours leave from. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Air conditioned. Slept very well. Actually left windows opened and enjoyed the cool nights. I would stay there again. Wish I'd seen the 3 for 2 deal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Irvine, California
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here once for a few nights. I dont know if all the rooms that are as big as the one I got but it was spacious. My friends and I had a great time. The location is great, steps from the beach and in right near the boardwalk. I would return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed here late August as a last second trip to California. Most hotels on the waterfront were already booked so we stayed here. The price was right and it was just 1/2 block of the waterfront but smack in the middle of the action.

It is an older hotel and out room was small but freshly painted, clean and quiet. The bathroom was also small. Yet that did not distract from the charm of the hotel. The staff was great. I truly enjoyed my stay there and will be returning there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We decided to vacation on Catalina Island. After searching all of the hotels on the island, almost all of them were unavailable for the time we would be there (July 17th thru the 20th). But, the Hotel Atwater had a vacancy, and the price was right.

I'd say that the hotel exterior is somewhat dated, but freshly painted. The interior is what hotels used to look like, in their heydays. The lobby had a high ceiling, a nice, modern front desk, and stairways that went up to the second floor rooms. No elevators.

The staff was very helpful and friendly, throughout our stay. The Starbucks coffee in the morning was much appreciated, too.

Our room was simple, but large. The bath was somewhat old fashioned, but very clean. The view wasn't much—that of the roof of the building right next door. But, with the windows open, the air was always fresh.

Compared to some of the $500/night hotels along the strand over karaoke bars where the "singing" goes on till 3 or 4 a.m., this place was quiet and mellow.

I really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first room next to the stairs on the second floor, east side. You'd think you c...