“Cool, Relaxing Place”
Review of Hotel Atwater

Hotel Atwater
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We decided to vacation on Catalina Island. After searching all of the hotels on the island, almost all of them were unavailable for the time we would be there (July 17th thru the 20th). But, the Hotel Atwater had a vacancy, and the price was right.

I'd say that the hotel exterior is somewhat dated, but freshly painted. The interior is what hotels used to look like, in their heydays. The lobby had a high ceiling, a nice, modern front desk, and stairways that went up to the second floor rooms. No elevators.

The staff was very helpful and friendly, throughout our stay. The Starbucks coffee in the morning was much appreciated, too.

Our room was simple, but large. The bath was somewhat old fashioned, but very clean. The view wasn't much—that of the roof of the building right next door. But, with the windows open, the air was always fresh.

Compared to some of the $500/night hotels along the strand over karaoke bars where the "singing" goes on till 3 or 4 a.m., this place was quiet and mellow.

I really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the first room next to the stairs on the second floor, east side. You'd think you c...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ughmeister

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here with my wife for two nights over labor day weekend. Overall we were very happy with the hotel and would stay here again. Comparatively speaking, the price we paid was a great deal for Catalina. While nobody would confuse this hotel for a resort it was more than serviceable for a couple nights while visiting the island. The hotel definitely feels older but has just enough charm to make up for its age. One big thing going for this hotel is the location. It was right in the center of everything and you could walk everywhere within 5 minutes. If you are looking for a place to crash for the night while you visit the island this is a great starting point for your trip!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Michael O
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have never been to Avalon before and was a bit surprised by the lack of options and the high room rates I was finding. The Atwater seemed to be a good choice and had the best rate of the places I was actually willing to stay after reading the reviews on Tripadvisor. I was not disappointed.

This was our final run to the beach for the summer before the kids went back to school. So there were 4 of us: 2 adults, a 5-year-old and 7-year-old. We book a queen room. The hotel offered a free roll-a-way too. It was small and cramped (no bath and a shower the size of a broom closet); but the room was comfortable and--given the closeness of the beach, bars and other inherent activities of Avalon--it was quiet. And be aware that it's 3 floor and there's no elevator.

But you go to Avalon to spend time on the beach, in the water and wandering around the town's bars and restaurants; so this was a comfortable place to stay.

The staff was wonderful, helpful and accommodating. As I mentioned, we got a roll-a-way bed and it was the staff that suggested to make us more comfortable in the room. The hotel also offers a service to deliver your bags to your ferry for FREE when you leave. That way you can enjoy the beach and town your last day without having to screw around with all your luggage!

Room Tip: Like I said, it's 3 floors with no elevator, so you may want to opt for a 2nd floor room (I don...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AttorneyChrisCarr
Reviewed September 3, 2013

So I LOVE THIS HOTEL!!! I stayed here years ago and I came back for this trip too. My friend and I were very needy because she payed for the first night then my boyfriend came out so I paid for the next night but I wanted to keep the same room so that we down,t have to move all our stuff and even though I had booked a different room type they changed my room so that I could stay in the same room and then when my boyfriend got sick they let us check out late too. They were so helpful no matter what shift I went to the front desk they were always pleasant and helpful. I will stay here again and so will my friends!!!
Thanks
Angela J

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you for recognizing our exemplary service. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Roberto Perico

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We got a deal through the Catalina Island Company, which is the only reason we stayed there. The hotel is old, with very few upgrades. We only stayed one night, and probably wouldn't want to stay there much longer. If you can get a package deal with some of the other businesses the Island Company owns (Avalon Grill, Descanso Beach Club, Zipline) and you want to same some money, then maybe this hotel is for you. They also own the Pavillion Hotel, and I've stayed there too, and it very nice and in a better location. But, if all you plan to do in your room is slep, then this place is fine. The bed was big, clean, and comfortable. The bathroom is TINY and OLD but functional. Full disclosure: we were in an "economy room" (we had to in order to get the package deal we got) but there at least 2 higher quality room options available, but, of course, they do cost more. The staff was nice, and the great package deal we got made it all worth it.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, and it was. We were in an "economy room" which was just a king...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scott D
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Ok this was a last minute kinda everything else is booked up night. We got a regular room which had no view, but was very clean and the beds comfortable. The shower was super small but being from Europe I can handle that. Not much inside the room, but a TV a iron board and iron and a night stand. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the Atwater and would stay there again.

Room Tip: not sure, ah also no breakfast at this place but free Wifi
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel Atwater for our 10th Anniversary. It was a very cozy room, but a little shy on amenities. The bathroom was in disrepair and I had to fix the toilet several times (It wouldn't flush) The shower also tended to seep water into the sink area. No biggie, but don't expect superb conditions. The water pressure was good, as was the temperature. The A/C in the room was a great thing too. Although it was a little noisy and left the room smelling a little musty.

The location is really good. Easy walking distance to food and entertainment, but far enough away from the main strip that you actually catch some Zs if you want to.

I can't say enough good things about the staff. The staff, both day and night shifts, were extremely helpful and very attentive. They were able to help us out on a number of things, ranging from tour arrangements to recommendations. The hotel is affiliated with Discover tours and are able to print your tickets for you if you get one of package deals.

One a final note:
One of really great things this hotel did for us was hold our luggage for us on our last day. The ferry leaves in the late afternoon, so we had time to burn. The hotel held our luggage for us while we did some last day exploring. This was great.

Room Tip: The second floor is very good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple