“Best Place To Stay In Avalon!!”
Review of Hotel Atwater

Hotel Atwater
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The Hotel Atwater is a few steps from the beach. Perfect location to shops, restaurants, beach, etc. The rooms are big with plush down comforters, flat screen TV and large bathroom. Staff is amazing and I will re-visit every time I go back!!!!!

Room Tip: Room 212 is perfect for a family of 4 and has a decent view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LaTanya P
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you for recognizing our staff with their exemplary service. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Roberto Perico

There are newer reviews for Hotel Atwater

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel harkens to a bygone era: small lobby with tall ceiling, clean and cozy hotel room, comfy beds, cruise ship sized bathroom (tiny), stairs only. No frills but who spends a lot of time in Avalon in their room?

1  Thank Gourmang
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We came to Catalina with friends who we put up at the Hotel Atwater. We wanted something simple and budget friendly that was basically just for sleeping as we'd be spending our days on the water and exploring. The reception lobby is very cute and the staff were super friendly and helpful. Yes there are stairs and the rooms and bathroom are small, but its a very well preserved and maintained historic hotel. Everything was very clean, the bed was comfy and it's 1/2 block from the water. With all those things factored in, it's a very good option.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

No one goes to Avalon to hang out in a hotel room, I hope. Still, it's good to have a quiet, comfortable place to rest after a day of kayaking, parasailing, dining and carousing. The Atwater is just that. We stayed on a Thursday night when the town and the hotel weren't too full. I booked the reservation through my employer's travel service, which landed us in room 246, an "economy" room that is cramped and worn. However, Joy cheerfully moved us to room 216, which was cozy and fresh, at no extra charge ($145+). There was excellent coffee in the lobby in the morning, and the staff were consistently friendly and welcoming. If you land in the right room, the Atwater is a good value.

Room Tip: Avoid 'economy" rooms
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Ugh this hotel reminded me of staying in a european hostel. It is so small, outdated, and feels dirty. In CA for a week so had a lot of bags, golf clubs, ect in which we had to carry up three flights of stairs. Everything very narrow and small.

The walls are very thin. Could hear someone throwing up all night the first night. When we checked there were someone's nail clippings on their which were NOT mine or my husbands. Did not do anything to complain as it was Friday afternoon and their lobby was completely full with people checking in and from what it sounded like overbooked.

The only reason I gave this average is because we were here with a group and I saw two other hotels that room's cost twice as much and in my opinion not worth it. I think we paid about 180 a night. I just think these are not my type of hotels (no pools, spa's, ect. ) Did the job for having to stay there two nights and excellent location.

1  Thank cbgChicago
Reviewed July 22, 2013

After reading the reviews and looking for a place on a budget, my wife and I chose the Atwater. The room was small, and the bathroom even smaller, but we got exactly what we expected. The hotel staff is very nice, the building has character, the location is perfect, and for a couple that was on the go the entire time, the hotel fit us to a T. Would highly recommend it if you need a nice bed, in a great location, on a budget, and you don't need luxury. It is not the kind of hotel room you hang out in for the day. As another review said, the bathrooms were probably the worst part, but the shower was great. Also, taking the advise of another post, we requested an inside room for quiet. Was glad we did that. Will stay there again on our next visit.

Room Tip: Inside/Interior rooms are quiet and away from the noise of the gas powered golf cars.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I love this hotel, it is very clean, the staff is great, the hotel is located a block of the main street, in the middle of town. Very convenient. The only downside is that there is no elevator so if you have problems with stairs this is not the place for you, and I love an ocean view. Other than that I had no fault with this hotel at all. If you need a jump start in the morning, there is coffee and tea served in the lobby. Very close to restaurants, the tour plaza and mini golf. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is in somewhat of a square, you may want a room at the top of the stairs. There is no ele...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple