“Great service, nice stay...”
Review of Hotel Atwater

Hotel Atwater
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego
“Great service, nice stay...”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I just returned from a trip to Catalina with my family and some close friends. Our stay at the Hotel Atwater was very nice. Everyone at the hotel was extremely polite and accommodating and seemed to sincerely appreciate the business. The location is very convenient.

In keeping with some other reviews of this property, the rooms are a bit spartan and only some have been updated, but the beds were comfortable and all the necessary amenities were there. The complimentary morning coffee served in the lobby was actually quite good, and I'm a coffee snob. :-)

The bottom line is that I would stay there again in a heartbeat and came away from the experience relaxed and refreshed. My wife and I travel a lot, both for business and pleasure, and it's rare that a hotel stay is without incident or issue - whether it's the room, the service, the hidden charges, etc. This was one of those rare occasions when I can't think of anything that was amiss.

Room Tip: We had a room backing up to Metropole Avenue and there was a good amount of street noise - one of th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim S
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests. Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Roberto Perico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here over this past weekend for a little getaway. After much research, I selected this hotel and crossed my fingers it was nice considering the mixed reviews I saw on here and other sites. I tried keeping my mind open. When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by a very friendly blonde girl (I didn't get her name). She checked us in very quickly and I was surprised we were able to check in just before 11AM since the official checkin time is 3PM. One complaint I often read about was the lack of an elevator. Since my girlfriend and I were on the third level, we had to walk up and back down 2 flights of stairs. Personally, I don't think it was that difficult of a trek and I am not really complaining about the stairs. Sure, an elevator would be convenient but I don't think it is necessary. Onto the room: My first impression of the room was 'it's small'. The room was small but strangely comforting. Fortunately the queen-sized bed was comfortable. The 1990's model TV felt like a blast from the past but I already expected that based on other reviews and brought my own 15" laptop for entertainment. The view from the room was very nice and we could see the ocean/Cresent Ave. Even smaller was the bathroom. It required a little maneuvering to get into. The shower was about a 2'x2' cube so I don't recommend dropping the soap. You'll be kissing the wall bending down to get it. Overall, the room and bathroom served their purposes and considering my girlfriend and I spent most of the time outside of the room, those things didn't matter very much. What I value the most is customer service and the people at the Hotel Atwater know customer service. Everyone was very friendly when we left and got back to the hotel from our adventures. I also wanted to personally mention Ulyces. He went above and beyond to accomodate us and was just overall awesome. My girlfriend and I will definitely stay at the Hotel Atwater any time we come back onto the island. Thank you for being great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff S
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you for recognizing Ulyces with his exemplary service. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Dana Point, California
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Old hotel but clean and comfortable. Don't go here if you can't climb 2 long flights of stairs, NO elevator. Like rooms in Italy the climb up to the 2nd floor, really the third floor, can be daunting. After walking all day the final climb to bed in the evening was the coup d'état. Hotels in Avalon are expensive, especially on Mothers Day weekend, so I guess we got value. So after 40 years in California I finally made it to Catalina, I enjoyed it and I thank my wife for the nice birthday gift, but now that I have been there I don't see any reason to go there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Atwater on your recent visit to Catalina Island. My team and I express our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your hotel experience with others on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Atwater.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my Mother's day weekend here with my son. The staff are really a pleasure to interact with, the rooms, while nothing exceptional, were clean and comfortable. We spent most of our time in Avalon, so all we needed was two beds and a shower. Great location, terrific price, too. But the staff were the best. I was always happy to pass by the desk or grab a cup of coffee in the lobby.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of your recent stay at the Atwater Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Thank you for recognizing them with their extraordinarily service. I will personally share your feedback with them.

los angeles
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I'm giving this a 5 star for the class of hotel this is - excellent value for the price. Rooms are basic and bathroom is small, but you also aren't paying the high prices of other hotels in the area. We weren't spending much time in the room anyways so save the $$ for food, drinks and excursions. Location is very easy and convenient (but just about everything in Catalina is - the town is very small). The staff are friendly and knowledgable of the area.

Most places in Catalina are a 2 night minimum, but if you wait till 2-3 weeks before, they will often sell to you for just one night (that is what we did).

No food here, but there is plenty of options just steps away, including a convenience store right across the street. The chinese place next door is good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Catalina Island.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The staff here were awesome! They let us check in early and even stored our luggage after we had to check out! The room does what you need for your time in Catalina. Nice comfy bed. If I visit Catalina Again i would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, April 19, 2013

San Diego, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My roommate and I escaped to Catalina for the weekend of my birthday. It happened to be Easter weekend, so a lot of places were full, but I found a room at the Hotel Atwater online. I perhaps recalled a dive buddy recommending it before.

We found the hotel less than a block from the main street, next to several adorable shops and across from a delicious looking pizza parlor. Since it was still early in the morning, we left everything in their bag check until they called me to say our room was ready. The room I'd reserved was unfortunately left stinking of cigarette smoke by an inconsiderate previous guest, but the helpful staff unquestioningly moved us to a new room which happened to be a one step upgrade. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, the water was hot, and we loved coming back to the room to relax and unwind after a long, active day outside.

Thanks for a lovely weekend! We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, perhaps avoid the rooms along the street. Loud children were running aro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank seaslugs
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, April 11, 2013