“Our second stay at the Atwater on Avalon”
Review of Hotel Atwater

Hotel Atwater
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Diego, California, United States
“Our second stay at the Atwater on Avalon”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We decided just a week in advance to go to Catalina for a special scuba diving March 16. Web searches showed little availability in Avalon and only at very high prices at a few hotels. We tried calling the Atwater reservation number, and I was delighted to find that they had some availability for the Saturday night we wanted (note: this number reaches an international call center, not the hotel). The rack rate I was quoted was very high, but the AAA rate was quite reasonable. We had stayed at Atwater last September, and it was just right for us. Cute, comfortable, clean, centrally located (most things are-- Avalon is tiny), and with helpful staff and good coffee in the morning. They have a big room for storing luggage and dive gear, and will let you use showers if you dive after you need to check out (we did not need this access, but the desk told me about it when we stayed in September). That could be very helpful, because it's challenging to plan your trip activities around ferry and checkout schedules.
Some other helpful hints for Avalon:
If you walk at all, the botanical garden is a great morning walk up the hill. Things we read had suggested that you need a bus or golf car to get there, but it's an easy hike. There's good birdwatching along the way. The Sand Trap is a great place to have Mexican Breakfast on your way up the hill. If you get tired of paying a lot of money for drinks at the bars and restaurants, check out the wine selection at the two Von's stores in Avalon. You can pick up a bottle of pretty good wine at a low price and be creative about when and where to drink it (hint: opaque water bottle). I like the fried zucchini and fried scallops at the seafood place at the end of the pier. Overall, Avalon and the Atwater make a really good, easy, mini-vacation. Would be a bit boring for a long stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Susan G
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Roberto Perico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This old hotel has lots of charm, but lacks the luxury you may find elsewhere. The room had just the essentials: very comfortable bed (squishy pillows, though), an old but functioning television (who's watching TV for more than a few minutes on vacation, though?), a stall shower (with good water pressure) in a small bathroom, and a small closet with an iron and ironing board.

There is no hair dryer; reading reviews saved me from leaving mine at home, thankfully. I'm not sure if there was an elevator hiding somewhere (I sort of doubt it) and all of the rooms are on the second and third floors, so if you have an issue with a couple staircases, this is not the place for you.

Overall, my experience here was pretty great. We hopped off the ferry at 10:15 and walked a quick 5 or so minutes over to the hotel, just a block up from the water. We were planning on just dropping off our bags (they will store your luggage in a secure room before you check in and/or after you check out), but our room was actually READY even though check-in wasn't technically til 3pm. We were really only in our room to sleep and shower, and for that, it met our needs quite well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robyn987
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Atwater on your recent visit to Catalina Island. My team and I express our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your hotel experience with others on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your review and comments about our hotel and service. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Atwater.

Lake Arrowhead, California
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is an old hotel that has been updated and has very comfortable new beds. We stayed there isn February, 2013 and were very pleased as it was quiet, a block from the beach and qomfortable.

Not very many ammenities but they have coffee in the morning and a place to store your diving or other gear.The pricewas well below other properties in Avalon ($100/ night on the weekend.

Room Tip: Get the double queen room. There a larger and so is the bathroom
2 Thank Kingla39
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of your recent stay at the Atwater Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Catalina Island.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I booked this hotel for 1 night in the middle of President's weekend. Almost all the other hotels required a minimum of 2 nights for a long weekend & the Atwater was the only one that did not. They also did not jack their prices up for the long weekend. As the previous reviews have stated, this is a basic hotel, with NO elevators. It is 3 floors & you can carry your bags up to your room or have a bellman carry it. We stayed in one of the queen upgrade rooms. The rooms are very basic with a bed(s), 2 endtables, 2 lamps, a shelf for the tv; the bathrooms have towels & shampoo. The upgrade rooms include a hair blow dryer & an iron. Having said that, the beds are extremely comfortable, the room size was good, clean, the shower provided sufficent pressure & plenty of hot water. I have stayed in high end hotels that cost much more & had more furniture, but if you want a BASIC room at a reasonable cost & is conveniently located, and want to stay for just a night, this is the place to be.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay Hotel Atwater and for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at the Atwater for one night for a friend's engagement party. It was centrally located, had all the basic amenities, free wifi, and was inexpensive. If you're looking for a luxurious stay, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a place in the center of town with basic accommodations, this is spot on. Also, they're one of the few hotels that allow a single night stay over a weekend. They also allowed us to check out one hour late and held our bags until our ferry departure. I plan on staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, February 26, 2013

Leesville, Louisiana
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Nice and clean. The bathroom was small and the stairs were steep, but oh well. It doesn't have A/C but it didn't need it when I was there in May of 2010...we opened the window. The staff were knowledgeable and friendly...they even held our bags after checkout since we were catching the latest boat out after two wonderful days. I recommend the golf cart rentals but not the furthest one down because that older caveman was rude, lol.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PaulaWolfe
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Hotel Atwater, responded to this review, January 13, 2013

Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My main review was done previously on Yelp and I am too lazy to repeat it here. In brief, very clean, staff was great, beds extremely comfortable. Ambiance is wonderful - brings you back to another era. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013