Hotel St. Lauren
Portofino Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$269
$249
  • Breakfast included
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$199
$178
$159
Hotel Metropole(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$229
$206
  • Breakfast included
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$379
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewscatalina islandvictorian hotelfifth floorsmall hillrooftop patiothe main streetshared balconyvons grocery storean older hotelearly checkpartial ocean viewcatalina expressone night stayavalon bayyour luggagerooms are smallpink
Reviewed November 18, 2013

The hotel staff was curt, not friendly - kinda like they didn't want us there, weird- (except the night security guy) - the windows in the room only open 2 inches, so we couldnt really look out. the "public" decks were only open at 9am and closed at 9pm - so never a chance to sip coffee in the morning, or have a small gathering at night when you get back - seriously??..........felt like we were prisoners. NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. Unbelievable - that these folks just DO NOT GET IT!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank M C
stlaurenmanagement, General Manager at Hotel St. Lauren, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address the above guest comments.

Hotel St. Lauren is a six-story hotel. The windows do not have any screens or protective bars in order to optimize the view through the windows. The windows are restricted to a four inch opening for safety and liability reasons (ie; a local boy fell to his death on prom night at another hotel from a unrestricted window).

The sixth floor patio is closed from 8pm to 9am. The patio has tables and chairs and is large enough for 50 people. Hotel rooms are located on the fifth floor under the patio. The patio is closed for noise during the above hours as a courtesy to the guests occupying those rooms. The patio hours during the week may be extended only if the rooms below are not occupied. A request must be made at the front desk.

The Hotel offers rooms with balconies for guests wishing to sit out early or late and enjoy an unobstructed view.

Our Night Security.states that the guests, a party of four, asked him, after 10pm, if they could move to a larger room. He advised them to make the request at the front desk in the morning and happily answered all their other questions.

The guests had checked in on a Thursday evening at 7:30pm for a two- night stay in a room with a king size bed and a full size futon. Front desk personnel state that the guests never requested a different room or an additional adjacent room. The guests checked out without registering any complaints. Front desk opens at 8am and closes at 10pm.

In the course of their two-day stay, four different employees with nametags worked at the front desk. All front desk employees have been made aware of the comments. It has been made clear that being friendly and welcoming with the guests is our first priority.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I wasn't sure about this hotel – what to expect. I'm admittedly a bit high maintenance when it comes to hotels, and I'm always a little unsure about non-chain hotels. I never know what to expect.

First reaction to this hotel was from my 5yr old granddaughter. "A pink hotel? My dream come true!" What little girl wouldn't love to stay in a pink hotel? And, each time we returned to the hotel during our visit, she was just as thrilled with it!

I was pleasantly surprised by the room. The furnishings were a tad outdated, yes, but clean and in good shape. And, in keeping with the pink theme, the bathroom floor is pink. Yep, the 5yr old loved that, too!

I cannot begin to describe the view from this hotel's 6th floor patio! "Wow" and “breathtaking” are simply insufficient adjectives. The patio was never crowded, even though we visited on a very busy weekend. We made a point to be on the patio as much as possible, when we were at the hotel.

The St. Lauren is up the hill from the center of all that's going on in Avalon. It's a bit of a walk from the boat dock. Since there are very few cars on the island and golf carts cost a fortune to rent, I assumed taking a taxi would be outrageous. So, we schlepped to the St. Lauren. I later found out that a taxi from the boat dock to the St. Lauren was a $10 trip. Next time, we're taking the taxi!

The staff at this place was friendly and helpful. They willingly provided us with dining recommendations.

The hotel staff told us that, when we checked out, we could have our luggage taken to the boat dock and stored until later in the day, when we were heading home. All this for $4 a bag. We left our bags at the St. Lauren, went about our day on the island and picked up our bags before getting in line to board the boat home that afternoon. The only caveat here is that the baggage service has to be paid for in cash. So, just be sure to hit the ATM before you pick up your bags. Oh, and, yes, they’ll deliver your bags to your hotel, if you want to check in later or just explore before going to the hotel.

I’ve stayed at other hotels on Catalina and this one is much nicer than many, and significantly less expensive. No, there’s no bar or restaurant. And, the amenities are minimal, it’s true. But, did I mention that view?!? :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank turtlegal0624
Reviewed October 18, 2013

It was an ok hotel for me and my wife. The location was great since it is close to everything. The hotel though is a little old and needs some upgrades. They had free coffee in the morning but would have been great to have some breakfast. I did not see any pool so I don't think they have one

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We decided to try this hotel, to be in town and close to the happenings of the JassTrax Festival. I think they need to take some time and really clean this place. A really clean room always makes up for the small size in my book. The front desk personnel were very kind to us on arrival and departure. The lack luster presentation of coffee in the morning is laughable. The location is very good. I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have never written a review before, but my experiance at the Hotel St. Lauren motivates me. This confirms my suspicion about reviews, I think a lot of them must be planted, or paid for by the hotels. This place was a dump. Dirty, dank, and the only thing worse was the staff. Rude, uncaring and absolutely no customer service training. Really, avoid this place! I paid over three hundred dollars for this room, and it would have been a really bad deal at $30 a nite.

Room Tip: Don't believe all the reveiws!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank michael l
stlaurenmanagement, General Manager at Hotel St. Lauren, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Hotel St. Lauren was built new in 1987. There is only one other hotel in Avalon that was built new before 1990. No new hotels have been built since 1990 because Avalon is one square mile in area and space is limited. Also construction is limited by water allocation rights and strict City building codes. Most of the other hotels have remodeled but in general most rooms in Avalon are smaller than rooms on the mainland. There are no major name hotels on Catalina Island but only small privately owned hotels..
Hotel St. Lauren’s rooms range in size of rooms and would stand with any hotel in Avalon.
All our rooms have a tub/shower configuration and private bathrooms. Some hotels in Avalon have only showers and some with the bathroom down the hall. Our Hotel has an elevator serving six floors, one among only three hotels with an elevator.

Hotel st. Lauren is updating their rooms during the winter months. This past winter we have taken down the dated victorian wallpaper and replaced with a fresh coat of paint in all of our rooms. This winter we will begin to redo our hallways and common areas..

Hotel St. Lauren takes cleanliness seriously. We have monthly inspections by Dewey Pest Control and pass yearly L.A. County Health Inspection with no health issues.

Finally, our rates are competitive with any hotel in Avalon.

As always we encourage travelers to read all of our reviews when making their travel plans.