“Pretty on the Outside - no so on the Inside!!!”
Review of Hotel St. Lauren

Hotel St. Lauren
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Pretty Victorian Building - very dated and tired looking inside - in need of upgrade. There is also NO SECURE luggage location - would be easy to address if they put lock on door to area where luggage is stored and took responsibility for locked luggage. With check in /check out hours not matching well with ferry service schedules - you will absolutely need to have your luggage stored. There is a nice patio on the 6th floor, but if you want to enjoy a nice bottle of wine or any beverage, no glassware provide. Should provide range of glassware for customers. Would not stay here again.

There are newer reviews for Hotel St. Lauren

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We just returned from a 3 day stay in Catalina. The St. Lauren was perfect - we were traveling with our kids - so we didn't want to spend too much money on the hotel. This was ideal - very affordable - especially if you can travel mid week - we arrived on Sunday and checked out on Wednesday ($99 a night). They were kind enough to hold all our luggage until the room was ready. We arrived at 10:30 a.m. and left our luggage at the hotel. We walked (5 minutes) to the beach and had breakfast at Joe's Place - delish!! There's a Vons grocery store halfway down to the beach. When we checked out at 11:00 a.m. - they once again stored our luggage till our boat trip back - 5:00 p.m.. They have a beautiful rooftop patio - see the sunset and the entire port area and mountains to the right. Also have coffee service every morning - no breakfast. We will def. return to the St. Lauren - affordable, clean, and perfectly located.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lovetotravel661
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had decided to stay an extra day and our hotel was sold out for Friday so we found Hotel St. Lauren. The location is great, close to everything. The "patio" on the sixth floor offers stunning views of the bay. Since it was a Friday night, we probably paid the "weekend rate" of $199 for a King room with a partial ocean view. We were extremely pleased that our room was ready when we had to check out from our other hotel so we could bring our bags right over and take a quick nap.

The room was fine but dated. Little things like the window trim, the cover to the AC unit were cracked or broken. The bathroom was especially dated and the soap/shampoo offerings was minimal, No shower cap!! The shower control ring that "tells" you how to operate it wasn't attached to the control and spun around. I had to get my glasses to align the ring before I took a shower. Just little stuff like that.... I expected a little more for $199. The bed was a little too bouncy for me but fortunately, my husband had a sound sleep so I didn't get bounced around.

I was grossed out by the dirty door from the bathroom into the room. It really could have used a good washing. There were hand prints on the door. It was yucky. I washed the door knob. That said, the shower head was great and I had a really nice shower with good water pressure.

I honestly can't say if we'd come back. We really liked our other hotel (name withheld) because they had wine and cheese in the afternoon and a large continental breakfast. Nonetheless, we were grateful to be able to find a place to extend our stay.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and myself just celebrated our 3rd anniversary and I picked this hotel. In the picture was so beautiful, in person was outstanding. Victorian style just 5 minutes walking distance to the beach. The service was very good. The room was beautiful, clean and comfortable. We enjoyed a lot staying in this hotel. It was affordable. The Patio view was beautiful. We recommend this hotel for a romantic vacation.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The hotel is a great place to stay. My room was very clean and the people working there were very helpful. Everything is within walking distance. I would have preferred for the hotel to service some type of breakfast in morning, but that was not a big deal. There are a few restaurants very close. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to book early during summer time. Request a ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeffery G
Reviewed August 27, 2012

From the minute we arrived in Catalina everything was just perfect. Once we got to Hotel St. Lauren the staff greeted us as if we were family. They were all very friendly and quick to respond to all of our requests. The staff at Hotel St. Lauren made every day/night just as enjoyable as the last and it was nice to come home to after a day of our island adventures. I would highly recommend statying at this location anytime. Conviently located to the local Vons down the street and all shops. Close enough to the water but just far enough away so we could all have a restful sleep for the next day without hearing all the late night party goers. The only one negative for me was that our pillows weren't up to par, but that is an easy fix. Having a friendly staff, the right location, gorgeous views of the ocean, and having the right price for what you get is my main key points.

Room Tip: Partial ocean view Rooms on the 6th floor are worth every penny
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here at the request of a friend. We had never even heard of it prior to our stay. This place is GREAT. The location is perfect. Just a block up from Vons and two or three blocks up from the hustle and bustle on the main drive at the harbor. So you can walk to all the shopping, bars and beach but when you go back to your room it's nice and quiet.

They have an amazing patio on the sixth floor that overlooks the harbor. This is a great place to have a cocktail in the evening or wine and cheese, or simply catch the morning sunrise with a cup of the free but very tasty coffee from the lobby.

The rooms are nice and clean. Victorian in decor and tasteful. Small but all you need since you spend all your time outdoors in Avalon. Only complaint is the pillows which were clearly lifted from Fred Flintsone's bed...they are hard as stones.

Now for the best part. The employees here are AMAZING. They really do everything they can to make you feel at home. The neat part is they clearly do it because they want to, not because they have to. There's a difference and you can tell, at least I can. I have stayed in high end hotels in cities like San Diego, Los Angeles, Chicago, Las Vegas and such and NEVER had this kind of friendly service. I will share this story with you all though please don't EXPECT this kind of treatment on the regular as our stay was during the week when it wasn't too busy. I only share this to illustrate how these folks think.

We arrived on a Monday morning. We had asked for an early check in but we were even too early for that. We just checked in and asked for a place to store our bags while we went to the beach. The ladies at the desk showed us where to store our baggage and said they would call us when our rooms were ready. We were changing into beach garb when one flagged me down and proceeded to tell me she was going to upgrade us to a room on the top floor, partial ocean view and it was ready now....no charge! We were elated of course and thanked her profusely. We went up, changed and headed out for the beach. We were discussing which beach to go to walking out of the lobby. Descanso beach is the best but too far to walk to so we decided on Front beach which is just two blocks away. My phone rings 40 yards down the street. It's the ladies at the front desk and they tell me that if I come back I can have the use of her personal golf cart for the day so long as I fill it with gas! Can you believe this? I couldn't, I asked if she was sure and she said, "yea come and get it, I don't need it until 4pm anyway." .

I stopped on the way back at Von's at got the ladies some flowers for being so nice to us. As I walk in, before they could see I got them flowers, they say, "we have a gift for you, we got you some wine to enjoy on the patio later.". They gave me a nice cool bottle of Moscato. Unbelievable right?!?!?

As I said, I'm sure this doesn't happen all the time for obvious reasons but it goes to show how kind and thoughtful the folks are here and it just is how they are, not how they have to be.

I love this place and all the folks here and I personally will stay nowhere else in Avalon, ever. They won me over for good.

• Stayed: August 2012