“Gorgeous Views from St. Lauren Hotel in Avalon, Catalina Island, Ca.”
Review of Hotel St. Lauren

Hotel St. Lauren
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed October 11, 2007

Our three night stay at the St. Lauren Hotel was heaven on
earth. WE are both 64 and we wanted a hotel where we would
get a good night''s sleep, views to die for and we had that and
more. St. Lauren is a block from the Avalon Bay and afforded
views of the harbor and the hills to the left and right of us. Our
street was quiet with no
noise at night. The hotel has a sun-
deck, patio on the roof for all guests and it does not open till
9:00 in the morning and closes at 8:00 at night. Our room
faced the front and had a private balcony so we could go out
there early in the morning or late at night and sit and see the
view with the every changing colors of the sky and the birds,
and new ships in the harbor each day. We had a cruise ship
a day, the three days we were there. We loved taking pictures
on our balcony and also of the bird that perched on our ledge.
We took pictures of him through the double french doors and
then opened the doors and went out on the balcony to again
take 5 or 6 more pictures and he did not move. We also went
up to the sundeck several times where they had tables with
umbrellas over them with no roof above you, the sky was the
limit.
They served coffee, bagels, and orange juice in the lobby,
starting at 9:00 in the morning, so the hotel was very quite
before then and also at night. IF you came in late you could
come through the locked front door with your room key.
We had a pre-paid package we booked through the hotel
direct and it included our round-trip tickets on the Catalina
Express from Avalon Landing in Long Beach and our taxi rides to the hotel from the pier in Catalina and also our cab ride voucher
to return to the pier to catch the Catalina Express the day we
were to depart from Avalon. Also in our package the glass
bottom boat trip and the city tour were included with Adventure
Tours. We upgraded our Catalina Express trip going and coming
to the Comodore Lounge for $10 each extra each way. It was
well worth the extra $20 each as we had a special cabin area
with couches and reclining seats and a better view than the
lovwer level with big windows and you got a complimentary
drink and snack and waiters. Just the pre-boarding is worth
the extra, short line and you are not in the heat waiting to get on.
After I booked our trip, I called the hotel several times to ask
questions and they were so helpful. Also, they told us great
places to eat when we asked. Cabs came seconds after calling
them, and we got cabs on the way to tours, etc. and saved our
walking for the main street and in front of the harbor.
We also had a sitting area in our room and a whirlpool tub in
our bathroom. Our room was always spotless when we returned
from our outings or tours.
We went for lunch at the Inn of Mt. Ada one day and loved our
view from a private patio. This is the Wrigley Mansion and was
lovely. We also enjoyed the Classic Inland Motor Tour-4 hrs.
that went to the Wrigley Ranch and views of the Island and the
Airport in the Sky. We enjoyed our City Tour and Glass Bottom
Boat Tours also. WE ate breakfast at the dock by the Casino
one morning and then went to the museum a the Casino and
really enjoyed it and also the pictures and news coverage of
the fire they had last summer on the Island. On our Classic
Inland Motor Tour we saw a lot of the burned areas and it was
very interesting. We hope to go on the Casino Tour the next time
we return to Catalina Island. We also plan to stay at the
St. Lauren Hotel again and again. It was such a peacful haven.
Our checkin took one minute, as we were all pre-paid, they
just handed us our electronic keys. Also when we checked out,
took one minute, we just turned in our keys and thaked them for
our wonderful and relaxing stay. LIke the bird who kept
returning to our patio at the St. Lauren Hotel, we know a good
thing and we will also return. Thanks to all the lovely staff there-
we had a lst class vacation that we will never forget. The
changing colors of the sky from our patio will stay with us always
and each day was a new view, a new ship in the harbor. The
moon at night was lovely also and the peace and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 9, 2007

We just returned from a two night stay at the Hotel St. Lauren located on Catalina Island. It is a Victorian hotel with quaintly furnished rooms. We upgraded to a room with a patio overlooking the harbor and it was well worth it. If you prefer to save a few dollars, you can select a room without a private patio and use the common patio located at the top of the hotel and it has a magnificent view. The staff was friendly and helpful and our stay was peaceful and quiet.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 8, 2007

My wife and I have come to Catalina for the annual Jazz festival for the last 5 years and have tried several other higher ranked hotels listed for Avalon. We stayed at this hotel for the past 3 and will book it again next year.

We love this hotel for its charm and the killer views from the upper decks. It's hard for us to talk about value for the money because all hotel rates get raised during the festival weekend. But everything in Catalina is overpriced and most of the hotels are basic.

The hotel staff have always been helpful and friendly and we never had any problems. The location is great because it is not far from the town and it is much quieter.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 18, 2007

I waited too long to book a room on Catalina so the Hotel St. Lauren was actually my third choice. When I called they offered me a large room with a king sized bed and ocean view. Sounded great so I booked. Here are my thoughts after being charged $804.16 for two nights:

WHAT'S GOOD:
- The hotel looks very charming from the street.
- Check in was fast and professional.
- The view from the 6th floor deck is WONDERFUL.
- The location is great. Close to everything yet not TOO close.

WHAT'S NOT SO GOOD:
- The interior of the hotel seems a little tired and rundown.
- We noticed that the chair rail molding was installed upsidedown
all over the hotel.
- The primary colors in our room were maulve and blue. So 80's.
- Horrible fake maulve & blue flower arrangement in the room. So bad we hid it in the closet and took a picture for laughs.
- The iron is secured so tightly on the ironing board (to prevent stealing) that it's hard to use.
- You can't leave the bathroom door open because the fire alarms will go off.
- The breakfast is lacking for the price of the room. How about some fresh fruit or at least some muffins or something? Real milk or cream would be nice for the coffee. Not just powdered milk.
- Our room (201) wasn't what I would call OCEAN VIEW. Yeah you could see some water out there but mostly it was buildings, the street, and golf carts.
- Checkout was at 11:00AM and our ferry did not leave until 5:25PM. We were allowed to leave our luggage but only in an unsecured room. Anyone could walk in off the street and take what they wanted if they knew where to look. We d didn't like that at all.
Not a horrible place but it would be my first, second, or now third choice. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
6  Thank wehodan
Reviewed February 21, 2007

We arrived on Friday 2/16 at 11 am but check in time was not until 2 pm so we asked if we could check in our luggage. Front desk said to put it in this supposedly locked closet. We returned at 2 pm to find our laptop computers stolen. Someone had opened our luggage and stolen only the laptops and then zipped the bags closed again. I felt so violated. When I went to tell the hotel manager, she looked at me annoyed and tapped her pen against a gold sign that said 'Not Responsible for Lost Articles'. That is the response I got from this hotel. I had to call the police myself and file a complaint. Then to find out the closet area is not a locked area. The hotel staff told me to put my luggage in unsafe/unlocked area and then to find out that this area had a back door where anyone from off the street could have walked in. The hotel refused to take any responsibility. Also this hotel misrepresented itself, I made a reservation for the queen bed room w/ french doors, balcony and ocean view but when we arrived they said it was already taken. The stealing of my laptop ruined my weekend and I was stuck on this awful Island since it was a busy weekend. Also there is no DVD in the room so we rented a DVD player trying to have a relaxing but then the plug in the back of the TV was melted off. What kind of hotel is this? I DO NOT recommend this hotel, not even to my worse enemy.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
12  Thank kellyglena
Reviewed February 12, 2007

We decided to visit Catalina on a spur-of-the-moment on a Saturday morning, flying in by private plane. I was able to get a room with ocean balcony - a bit steep, but it was last minute. All in all we were satisfied with the hotel - room was big enough, bed was comfy, bathroom nice & shower hot. Walked all over Avalon from here with no problem too. While it may not be the nicest, it's certainly fine - especially if you just wanna stay one night, which is plenty of time on Catalina!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank snooksinK.C.
Reviewed January 14, 2007

Just come back today. This is my first time writing a review but if it helps the next person then its worth it. Booked a standard room for my husband and I. Off rate price at $110 a night.
The room was small with dark dated decor. The room walls are so thin that I could here the gentleman going for a pee over my head while I sat in bed reading my book.....Nice...and those in the corridor sounded like they were inside the room.
The towels....lets face it. They had their day. Just a simple thing, but come on, towels are cheap. Everything about the place is cheap. The "stuff" in the lobby to eat in the morning is cheap.
I just think that who ever owns this hotel is cheap and making so much money....charging over $200 a room normal rate. Time to put it back into this beautiful building and look after its customers.
Would not stay again...Thanks for listening. I'm not a fussy person but I hate being ripped off.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple