“Loved the location!”
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Loved the location; a little shock and amazed by the tiny room size based on the price we paid and wondered how they took the room photo that's online. From talking to other travelers; small sems to be the island way. We didn't spend out time in the room. so it didn't matter much. We enjoyed the Zip-line and our favorite spot was Descanso Beach sipping cocktails and enjoying the crowd.
The staff was awesome and even brought us a bottle of champagne when I mentioned it was my boyfirends birthday. The rooftop deck is fabulous, although it's only open from 10am-10pm. Our room was on the first level 103 and very noisy in the mornings with people heading down to breakfast. I would definitely stay here again; although in a larger room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 8, 2010

Nice location at the end of Crescent Drive so it is quieter than other hotels. Rooms are fine, what you would expect. Staff was nice. All in all, a good place.

Reviewed April 17, 2010

A relaxing island get-away. This was our second stay at Villa Portofino. 10 years ago, we stayed in a standard room courtyard room, which we found a bit claustrophobic, though we enjoyed the hotel's ocean view deck. This time, we upgraded to a deluxe room, which turned out to be spacious, with a lovely balcony, sitting area and gas log fireplace. While the continental breakfast - pastry, juice and coffee - got a little monotonous on the third day, there's no question we'll stay here again on our next visit. We just wish it was a bit closer to the ferry dock, as the walk with our luggage is a bit long. But since we could have taken a cab for $10, it's obviously not that big a deal.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CAAardvark
Reviewed April 9, 2010

The hotel management was very understanding when our ferry out of Marina del Rey was cancelled due to winds at 30 + knots and multiple swells. We will definitly choose this hotel when we reschedule our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I come to Avalon regularly for diving and relaxation. I love staying at the Hotel Villa Portofino because it's right on the main street and within walking distance to everything. The staff is friendly and very helpful - eager to answer any of your questions. A small continental breakfast is included in the price making it a great value. Make sure you go up to their rooftop deck, relax on a lounge chair and breathe in the delicious view of the harbor. You can't beat it!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BeachGirl021
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I loved the hotel stay and the staff. Everything was perfect from warm friendly staff to nice rooms. I really enjoyed the cucumber water at their front desk especially after a long run thoughout the hills of Avalon. I will continue to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank AvalonRegular
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Went to Catalina this week on a whim and found the Limited Offer Package at this hotel. The website said rates started at $100 per person. Seemed like a good deal (included the boat trip from Pedro, a glass bottom boat trip, and one night). I think it ended up being $109 per person once tax was added.
The room was smaller than most I'm used to, but it was nice and clean. The staff was super friendly, and once I found out how much the boat ride was if I bought it on my own (over $60) I started realizing how good a deal we got.
We went in the quiet season so there wasn't as much to do. But most of my complaints have to do with the tours/restaurants being closed (which I'll post on separately). The staff at the hotel was at least very helpful in recommending the things to do during this time of tthe year.
I think this is a great place to go to if you're looking for a quiet location. It's near everything and the staff is nice. The rooms a bit small, (apparently we had the cheapest room - could've had a larger room if we paid more). But overall, was a great stay! :)

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends