“Great place to stay”
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed May 31, 2011

We planned a trip to the west coast and I had been to Catalina Island in 1979 and knew it was somewhere I wanted to see again. I found a package online that allowed us to take a helicopter over to the island and then our return trip was by ferry. We had originally only booked one night but loved being there so much we asked the hotel if we could stay an additional night and luckily they were not booked and we were able to do that. EVERYWHERE you would want to stay is expensive, so it is not fair to compare the size or quality of the room to somewhere else, but I was very happy with what we had. Also, the rooftop deck gave a wonderful, relaxing view of the harbor.
There are several places in town to choose from, but the location of Villa Portofino is just perfect. It is directly across the street from the ocean (nothing is oceanfront there ) and near the casino. Most things in town are within walking distance and most vehicles are golf carts which makes this island so charming.
Our room was a regular king and it was small, but so are most places on the island. The interior courtyard of this hotel is quite pretty and everything seemed to be very clean and well kept. The front desk personnel were always nice and polite and the continental breakfast was pretty much your stand fare. The hotel did offer free drinking water in the lobby with fruit slices which was a really nice touch. We ate one meal at the Italian restaurant located next door and it was a good meal.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this hotel without hesitation and on my next trip back to Catalina, which hopefully will be within the next few years, I plan to stay at Hotel Villa Portofino again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank purpleones

Reviewed May 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our 20th anniversary. My husband surprised me with trip and made all the arrangements. He said this was one of the cheapest hotels that wasn't a dump. He was expecting way more than what we got. I'd say the room was an average size room for a hotel along the lines of doubletree, maybe smaller even. It had a queen bed, two nightstands, a small dresser, a vanity, tiny closet, dinky table, and dining room sized chair. The bathroom had a small shower stall, toilet, and sink. It was plenty big enough for us, we were just expecting more. We stayed in room 209 and even though it was in a dark corner it was quiet. The rooms were very clean and the staff was very courteous. They even let us store our luggage there until our ferry took us back. Oh, and the breakfast was pretty ordinary. But they advertise it as continental so don't expect much more. There was some fruit, orange juice, muffins, croissants, yummy cranberry scones, coffee, hot cocoa, and tea bags. I still can't believe it was $250 for a Friday and Saturday night, and that was a bargain.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank jennizona1
Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband, our daughter and I went to Catalina Is. last April 12-14, 2011 as our yearly getaway. I picked Hotel VP because of their great value package and secondly, because of the good reviews it has here in TripAdvisor. We arrived at the island at 11am which is still early for our check in time, but Hotel VP allows us to store our luggages in a small partition in ther office. So we did and while waiting for our room we went out to grab some lunch. Afterwards, we came back like around 1:30pm and the nice receptionist guy told us that our room is ready. he let us check in 30mins early of their check in time which is good so we can wash up. By the way, they also let you use their wash room inside the office if you need to. We are happy of what we saw inside our room, which is by the courtyard. It was very clean and NO foul smell! The space is enough for 3-4 people which is a plus for us. Good amenities like coffee maker, small refrigerator, hair dryer, flat iron and board, a lot of towels, etc. Oh and a flat screen TV. We had a good and well rested night sleep. We woke up to their continental breakfast such as coffee, orange juice, hot chocolate and a variety of pastries. It is a good breakfast to start your day at the island. We also enjoyed the scenery from their sun deck located just above the office. We loved the location of this hotel because it is like in the center of everything in the island. So I am so glad that I picked the right one that my family would be comfortable and relaxed. I definitely would recommend this hotel. It is truly a great value because our package includes the round trip from Long Beach by Catalina Express and also a taxi to and from the hotel. An additional bonus is that we can leave our luggages after 11am check out time until we go back to the mainland, so we can still do our last minute shopping or do more fun activities in the island before we leave.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Ems0406
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I absolutely enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The staff was friendly and they were very attentive to everything I needed. Customer service was superb. I like to hike so I got an unexpected surprise when the staff whipped out a map of a nice trail. I liked it so much I hiked it twice during my 2 day stay. (Hour trail).If your hiking anywhere else you need to check in at the Conservancy on Clarissa St. for a free permit and maps Beautiful views!! Catalina was great. I even went to the Pavilion (historic casino) to watch a movie in the evenin.) The internet is a little weak in the room but it didn't matter because Catalina was so beautiful I didn't spend any time on the computer (don't know why I brought it in the first place). Remember: most hotels here charge per person rates (like cruise ships) instead of a flat rate per room. So ask first!! Once you get a good hotel rate the hotel can book the boat transportation for you. The boat rates rarely are discounted. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: Monday-Thursday deals are the best. rates
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We go to Catalina and Avalon about every 3 years and love the slower pace and beautiful island scenery. This is the second time we've stayed at Villa Portofino and it's the best. Rooms are comfortable and clean and right on the main street across from the ocean. The roof top deck is a great place to relax and see the harbor sights. This time we took our ten year old grandson with us for 3 days and had a great time.

Room Tip: Lower rated mid week and before Spring break.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JandRSo_California
Reviewed March 25, 2011

We picked this hotel after searching for a while...found packages including the ferry. We got a room toward the back on the second level which was great. I guess space is limited on the island because the door to the room was of the sliding door type. We had a king room but it was small. There wasn't much room to walk around. The coffee maker & fridge were placed in the closet. The bathroom had shower only. Overall it was quiet even there were quite a few guests staying. The complimentary breakfast included orange juice, coffee/tea, scones, danishes, muffins, & green apples. We stayed there for 2 days and had the same thing for 2 days. The breakfast items were placed on the counter in the small office. You could take it back to your room to eat or sit outside. There is a roof top patio where you can enjoy the view of the water right across but it is opened from 10 am to 10 pm. Overall, we had a good time and slept well. The housekeeping service was quick. One morning we left around 9:30 for a walk and came back before noon and the room was already very clean and tidy. Good job!!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hotelbum
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We were looking for something different to do with some family from the Midwest. Saw an ad in the paper about a package deal Sunday thru Thursday for $92 a night, including boat fare from Long Beach. The hotel is oceanfront, only 34 rooms in a mostly courtyard setting, which means no view, except for the suites. There is a rooftop deck with a great view of the harbor, however, as well as an area in front of the hotel & resturant to sit and enjoy your morning coffee & breakfast. Good sized rooms, comfortable beds, close to everything. The only downside to staying midweek is that a few of the shops and resturants either open late, or not at all. The upside is that there are no crowds!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family