“a little boring at times but overall a great time”

Afishinados Charters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: You have seen Avalon, now experience Catalina Island aboard an Afishinados Charter. Try our 30' GUSTO for coastal fishing on a gjreat boat with a head. Our 40' AFISHINADO is a go-anywhere vessel with all the amenities for groups of 6 or less. Larger groups (49 or less) will find our 50'power catamaran CATALLAC to be the perfect choice for family reunions, celebrations, weddings and private parties on the water. In addition to private charters, CATALLAC offers a slate of scheduled tours during high season that include our famous Flying Fish Tour, our Happy Hours Cruises and our Holiday Floats. Afishinados Charters is the gateway to experiencing Catalina Island where land meets sea. Charter us and enjoy the isle in style.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed June 13, 2013

saw a lot of flying fish...and then saw sea lions eating most of the fish, which wasn't cool at all....some little kids on the boat got pretty upset by that.... overall I had a great time- but, it was a bit boring at times. They need to have some music pumping inside and outside of the boat- some dance or disco or something.......and the bar was pathetic- only wine! I HATE wine. Bummer.

1  Thank debbie d
Afishinado, Owner at Afishinados Charters, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Hey Debbi D, I have to say your review surprised me, but it might be good info for others. Yes, we work hard to find the schools of fish each night so that our guests get to see these amazing creatures. As you said, you saw a lot of flying fish, and it is not uncommon to find the sea lions feasting on them when they are abundant. This can be upsetting, but it is what happens. The females lay millions of eggs, which is a good indicator of the role they play in the eco-system.

Not sure how you got the impression that we only have wine, we also have some nice cold beers on board, but truthfully, our Flying Fish Tour is not really much of a drinking crowd. That would also explain the music, we tend toward Jack Johnson mellow for the ride home. We do have a full-on music system with 8 speakers located inside and outside of the boat. What you might like is our Brews Cruise, where we pump it up a bit. We offer a nice discount to returning customers who try our other tours, so let us know when you plan to come back.

All reviews
in 3 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was my first time seeing a flying fish. I had a great time! When the fish weren't flying, Captain John took us further to make sure we saw them...and we did! Captain John, the crew and the Cadillac Boat were fantastic!! I would definitely recommend the cruise to friends when visiting Catalina. I look forward to going on another cruise with Afishinados Charters.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Captain John and his wife are the best! My family has chartered the Afishinado many times over the last four years, and last year we were lucky enough to do the fireworks cruise aboard the Catallac. Do not miss the chance to charter any of Captain John's vessels. We are looking forward to doing it again this year!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My nieces and I went to Catalina for the weekend of the Flying Fish Festival. It was the first time we've gone on a tour on the Catallac. So amazing to watch the many fish and sea lions in action up close. Like watching a Nat Geo special. The captains were awesome, the crew accommodating and the inside bar wasn't bad either! We spoke with and made friends with some people on the Catalina Express boat back to the mainland who were also on one of the FF tours, they were equally impressed. We all said we were returning next year! Can't wait!