“Exciting, Fun, And Definitely Memorable.”

Cape Canyon Expedition
Ranked #14 of 43 Outdoor Activities in Avalon
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience Santa Catalina Island’s “outback” in a comfortable, open air, H1 Hummer powered by biofuel. With spectacular views, wild habitats and educational displays, this is truly a unique tour.This tour ventures through scenic Middle Ranch Canyon and explores Cape Canyon in the heart of Catalina's interior. You’ll see the Middle Ranch habitats of the American Bald Eagle and Catalina Island Fox. Then it’s off to the scenic Little Harbor overlook on the windward side of the island for spectacular views. You'll travel to the Airport in the Sky, 1600 feet above sea level where you will enjoy a complimentary lunch and visit the Conservancy Nature Center’s educational displays.
“Exciting, Fun, And Definitely Memorable.”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This was my first time on this type of tour, and was a little hesitant at first. But as soon as I met my tour guide Stephen I immediantly felt comfortable and at ease. He was very personable and friendly through out out whole ride. Very informative, learned facts about the Island that I never knew before. And I even saw my first bison, which was thrilling. I would recommend this tour to anyone and everyone who wants to try a fun experience that you'll always remember.

Visited April 2013

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Catalina Outback”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Great day! No better way to see the "rest" of the island in a half-day window. Wonderful scenery, informative narrative, surprising landscape, and intriguing history. Did the 3 hour golf cart tour the day before, so, between the two, got a real sense of Catallna!

Visited March 2013
Woodland, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Cape canyon expedition”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Today we did the four hour tour with our guide Bear. Bear was very informative and is an awesome story teller!!! We learned a lot about the islands history, wildlife and plants. We learned a bit about American indians too. We saw Bison/buffalo close enough to get awesome pictures. It was a bit chilly but blankets and water were provided. It is obvious that Bear enjoys his job and educating the tourists. I highly recommend this tour especially if Bear is your guide!

Visited March 2013
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great tour of Island”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Was with tour guide Bear for 2 hours on my visit to Catalina. Took the island hummer tour. Got to see a lot of the beauty. Wanted to see more Bison but they were hiding. Bear was awesome and well worth the time spent. Great way to see and learn about Catalina Island and Avalon

Kenora, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

If you do nothing else when on Catalina Island - don't miss this. Tour guide (Bear) was first class, and we learned so much about the island - past and present while touring parts of the island we would not have seen otherwise. The views and photo opps were spectacular. Much more could be said but I would just be repeating all the positive things the next few reviews say. Depending on time of year you may want to dress warmly and in layers. The ride is a bit bumpy, but manageable. Well worth the time and money - a highlight of our 2 weeks in California.

Visited February 2013