“Difficult to get reservations”
Review of Avalon Grille

Avalon Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Avalon Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Catalina Avenue
Description: Avalon's waterfront dining, located at the foot of the Green Pleasure Pier, is open seven days a week for lunch (Fri-Sun) and dinner with a lively, central bar and open air dining. The Avalon Grille features American regional dishes with a seasonal approach, paired with a world class selection of wines, micro-brew beers and cocktails in a casual and fun "al fresco" atmosphere overlooking Avalon Bay. The Avalon Grille boasts a fabulous menu including Miso Cured Bass, Lavender Roast Chicken and our famous Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Orange County, CA
“Difficult to get reservations”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We had a good dinner...mine was mahi mahi. Unfortunately, they tried to pass of 2 drinks that were to contain tonic but instead had soda water...."didn't think that you'd notice". Several of the people in our party had scallops (only 3 per serving). One said that they were heavily salted...others did not notice it.

Visited April 2013
CatalinaSCICo, Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine at the Avalon Grille during your visit to Catalina Island. We appreciate your taking the time to share with us your dining experience on TripAdvisor.

Markus Markovcich

Los Angeles, California, United States
“Great food and ambience”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you've been to Catalina, then you know its a great place to have fun when you aren't craving luxury accommodations or high-end restaurants. Avalon Grille is one of maybe three restaurants on the island reaching for a higher end experience, and it's a solid choice. Right on the main harbor, the views are great and the interior is decorated like an upscale harbor restaurant (think San Francisco). The food is very good, and they have a nice wine selection. I didn't notice the food taking too long but the manager was very apologetic and brought us two free desserts for our patience. Totally unexpected and a nice touch.

• Visited April 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to share your feedback with my entire team and will recognize them for a job well done. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Avalon Grille and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Redondo Beach, California
“Dining California Style!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

There is a nice vibe when you walk in to the Avalon Grille. There's a touch of elegance with a casual atmosphere ....
I dined there with my family of six. We asked for sparkling water (instead of "still" water) which was brought to the table, chilled and served in wine glasses.... we ordered appetizers and the presentation was very artful. All the main courses were served in a timely manner except for one of our party that we all waited for before we started to eat.
Staff met our needs as well as could be expected, as it was a Saturday night and a bit busy.
The one thing I found problematic was the fact that the noise level made it difficult to engage in long conversation even to the person across the table from me ..... we summized it is the acoustics that is probably something the architects and contractors need to keep in mind when designing new restaurants....
Other than that very minor flaw, Avalone Grille offers delicious food and good service!

• Visited April 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 11, 2013

Salinas, CA
“A nice splurge meal”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Three and a half stars rounded up. For the price, I expect more, but hey, this is Catalina. The food was reasonably good. We had moussaka and the grouper. Service was OK. He kept calling me Señor, thought that was odd. Nice ambiance too. I recommend it for a nice splurge meal.

Visited April 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for dining with us at the Descanso Beach Club and for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by the quality of food.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back

Toria Richards
Santa Fe
“Great food, very friendly staff”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

While on Catalina Island, I ate the Avalon Grille twice and both meals were exception. The first one was the Veggie Burger, which is actually a very well cooked and seasoned Portabello Mushroom burger that was just perfect as I was looking for something light. The next time I decided to try their "Black & Blue" NY strip with blue cheese and sauteed mushrooms. Cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious. Amanda, the assistant manager, came over to our table to see how everything was and spent a good ten minutes just answering questions about the island and being completely charming the entire time. I hope to get back soon and will definitely go back.

• Visited March 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine with us at the Avalon Grille. We sincerely appreciate the positive comments about your dining experience and the special recognition to Amanda for her excellent service. Amanda will be very pleased that you remembered her name and that you took the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor/. I can assure you that she will get a special recognition for delivering excellent service and making a positive impact of your dining experience.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Catalina Island.