“Great food and ambience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Avalon Grille

Avalon Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Avalon Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary, American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Catalina Avenue
Description: Avalon's waterfront dining, located at the foot of the Green Pleasure Pier, is open seven days a week for lunch (Fri-Sun) and dinner with a lively, central bar and open air dining. The Avalon Grille features American regional dishes with a seasonal approach, paired with a world class selection of wines, micro-brew beers and cocktails in a casual and fun "al fresco" atmosphere overlooking Avalon Bay. The Avalon Grille boasts a fabulous menu including Miso Cured Bass, Lavender Roast Chicken and our famous Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Great food and ambience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you've been to Catalina, then you know its a great place to have fun when you aren't craving luxury accommodations or high-end restaurants. Avalon Grille is one of maybe three restaurants on the island reaching for a higher end experience, and it's a solid choice. Right on the main harbor, the views are great and the interior is decorated like an upscale harbor restaurant (think San Francisco). The food is very good, and they have a nice wine selection. I didn't notice the food taking too long but the manager was very apologetic and brought us two free desserts for our patience. Totally unexpected and a nice touch.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine at the Avalon Grille during your visit to Catalina Island. We appreciate your taking the time to share with us your dining experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to share your feedback with my entire team and will recognize them for a job well done. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Avalon Grille and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Redondo Beach, California
“Dining California Style!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

There is a nice vibe when you walk in to the Avalon Grille. There's a touch of elegance with a casual atmosphere ....
I dined there with my family of six. We asked for sparkling water (instead of "still" water) which was brought to the table, chilled and served in wine glasses.... we ordered appetizers and the presentation was very artful. All the main courses were served in a timely manner except for one of our party that we all waited for before we started to eat.
Staff met our needs as well as could be expected, as it was a Saturday night and a bit busy.
The one thing I found problematic was the fact that the noise level made it difficult to engage in long conversation even to the person across the table from me ..... we summized it is the acoustics that is probably something the architects and contractors need to keep in mind when designing new restaurants....
Other than that very minor flaw, Avalone Grille offers delicious food and good service!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 11, 2013

Salinas, CA
“A nice splurge meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Three and a half stars rounded up. For the price, I expect more, but hey, this is Catalina. The food was reasonably good. We had moussaka and the grouper. Service was OK. He kept calling me Señor, thought that was odd. Nice ambiance too. I recommend it for a nice splurge meal.

Visited April 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for dining with us at the Descanso Beach Club and for taking the time to post a review of your recent experience. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by the quality of food.

I trust we will have the opportunity to restore your confidence in the near future. I look forward to welcoming you back

Toria Richards
Santa Fe
“Great food, very friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

While on Catalina Island, I ate the Avalon Grille twice and both meals were exception. The first one was the Veggie Burger, which is actually a very well cooked and seasoned Portabello Mushroom burger that was just perfect as I was looking for something light. The next time I decided to try their "Black & Blue" NY strip with blue cheese and sauteed mushrooms. Cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious. Amanda, the assistant manager, came over to our table to see how everything was and spent a good ten minutes just answering questions about the island and being completely charming the entire time. I hope to get back soon and will definitely go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine with us at the Avalon Grille. We sincerely appreciate the positive comments about your dining experience and the special recognition to Amanda for her excellent service. Amanda will be very pleased that you remembered her name and that you took the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor/. I can assure you that she will get a special recognition for delivering excellent service and making a positive impact of your dining experience.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Catalina Island.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Very nice - probably the best in Avalon.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

The three of us ate here twice, and between us tried a lot of the menu. All was first class, superb. Must do!

Visited March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful dining experience at the Avalon Grille on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. I will personally share your feedback with them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Avalon Grille.