“Answered the challenge of its No. 1 rating”
Review of Avalon Grille

Avalon Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Avalon Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary, American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Catalina Avenue
Description: Avalon's waterfront dining, located at the foot of the Green Pleasure Pier, is open seven days a week for lunch (Fri-Sun) and dinner with a lively, central bar and open air dining. The Avalon Grille features American regional dishes with a seasonal approach, paired with a world class selection of wines, micro-brew beers and cocktails in a casual and fun "al fresco" atmosphere overlooking Avalon Bay. The Avalon Grille boasts a fabulous menu including Miso Cured Bass, Lavender Roast Chicken and our famous Roasted Brussels Sprouts.
San Diego
“Answered the challenge of its No. 1 rating”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We checked out several restaurants and settled on the Trip Advisor #1 rated restaurant. We had no reservations, but it was a quiet, off-season evening and the staff found a table for our party of 6.

My wife and I ordered a martini -- citron vodka to be shaken viciously. Excellent, generous pour.

Various of our party had the Bacon-Wrapped Quail, Pan-Seared Diver Scallops, blackened chicken pasta. All were excellent.

Excellent service.

2 Thank striderforth
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful dining experience at the Avalon Grille on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. I will personally share your feedback with them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Avalon Grille.

Manhattan Beach, California
“Upscale eatery”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was so delightful finding a hip, upscale eatery in Avalon. The bar is fabulous and food delicious. A great place to go for dining outside, inside or hanging at the bar after or before your dinner.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine at the Avalon Grille during your visit to Catalina Island. We appreciate your taking the time to share with us your dining experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to share your feedback with my entire team and will recognize them for a job well done. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Avalon Grille and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

San Bernardino
“Delicious food and great service”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My mom and I ate here on our last trip to Avalon. The service was superb, and most of the food was really great. The brussels sprouts appetizer is amazing, and my meal (I don't remember what I got) was excellent as well. My mom got the pot roast which I thought was ok, the sides with it were great but the meat itself was nothing special (esp. considering the price). I will definitely go back, and order something besides the pot roast.

• Visited May 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for dining with us at the Avalon Grille. My team and I express our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your dining experience with others on TripAdvisor.

While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies that you were left to feel disappointed by the quality of one of your dishes.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Santa Barbara, CA
“Delicious food, slow service”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Came here for my boyfriend's big birthday dinner. We ended up with WAY too much food, but we didn't want to stop eating because it was so delicious!

Unfortunately, it took us a long time to actually GET that food. I ordered a glass of wine right off the bat, and when our server came back with it, we ordered an appetizer and my boyfriend ordered a glass of wine. The appetizer came out pretty quickly, but we were finished with it before the glass of wine came. Kind of weird. And then it took our entrees an incredibly long time to come. So much so, that our server came around three times to assure us that our food was being cooked, that they were really slammed tonight, that it was being plated as we speak, etc. It was probably an hour and a half into dinner by the time we got our entrees. That said, they were divine! I had the filet mignon, which was a very generous portion with yummy mashed potatoes and veggies, and my boyfriend had diver scallops and mushroom risotto, which he loved.

I had made reservations online and let on in the comments section that we were celebrating my boyfriend's birthday, and they came out with a little decorated plate of chocolate truffles with a birthday candle at the end of our dinner. Very sweet, I know he felt special.

Overall, the food was wonderful, but it was a good thing we weren't starved when we sat down. Our bill definitely added up, but everything seemed to be fairly priced for the quality.

1 Thank robyn987
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your dining experience at the Avalon Grille. We appreciate your constructive comments which will enable us to continually improve our service/food quality for our guests.

I am delighted to read your assessment of our team, food, and ambiance but would like to extend my apologies for the experience you encountered regarding the quality of service. I can assure you that I will address it immediately with my team.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Avalon Grille in the near future.

Chehalis
“A gem in Avalon”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Took a group of 44 to Catalina and had a wonderful dinner at the Avalon Grille. I'd taken a group of 36 two years ago when it opened and gave it a great review then. Fillet, fish of the day and chicken were on our pre-planned menu and all were excellent. As some have said, pricey but well worth it! Presentation is wonderful, service was exceptional! Would go back in a minute!

• Visited February 2013
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Avalon Grille, responded to this review, February 23, 2013