“get here early or be prepared to wait”

Original Jack's Country Kitchen
Ranked #5 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: American, Hawaiian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Jacks is a friendly family diner with colorful decor, and a huge menu and the food is fine. But you have to get there early, because once the tourist boats start arriving, the wait is long. Everybody wants to have breakfast at Jacks! We managed to squeak in breakfast on our last day of our trip only because we set the alarm and got there by 8:30. By 9:15 there were a dozen people waiting.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I scrutinized many restaurant reviews before finally deciding on this place for one of my two Catalina breakfasts. I almost instantly regretted that decision once I sat down. Our waitress came to our table, all warm and friendly as you'd expect in a small community like this. But as I uttered the words "I'm allergic to gluten," she interrupted me before I could even ask for her recommendations and she snapped "Good luck!" Uh, what? It's breakfast. Breakfast is the easiest of meals to get around the gluten issue. But this waitress made me want to shrug "fine" and get up and go elsewhere. I calmly reassured her we'd be able to find something for me -- but shouldn't it have been the other way around? Eggs are gluten-free. What about the hash browns, I asked. Yes, she said, those are gluten-free. Well then, it sounds like we have us a breakfast. Suddenly the waitress was my friend again.

The food and coffee were good. My boyfriend had eggs and waffles and both of our meals were maybe a little lacking on the presentation side (but really, who cares?), but we both agreed they tasted so much better than they looked. I loved my hashbrowns. The coffee was good too. The grapefruit juice wasn't good though. Far too sweet; I'm pretty sure those of us who like to start our day with a strong dose of citrus are more on the health-conscious side -- we're not looking for a sugary fruit 'drink.'

Near the end of the meal the waitress came back to the table to refill my coffee -- and spilled quite a bit on the table, spreading around my plate and my mug. I sat back to let her reach other and wipe it up, but instead her eyes flicked to the paper napkins on the table, and then to me, and she said "could you grab a couple of those and wipe it up." Yeah sure, we're all friends here, is there anything else you'd like me to do? I love the food offered at a "country kitchen" place like this, but I really don't like it when country hospitality means "I can be informal with you, and I'll slack off while I'm at it -- we're cool right?" I tipped her 20%. Because I'm a sucker that way.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Great old style diner, portions were a great and the service excellent. It is just back from the main street about 100mtrs and worth the visit

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Get the Hawaiian French Toast with macadamia nuts and coconut syrup. You won't the disappointed. Richards was our server, he knows his menu.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Jack's was very close to our hotel so we walked over for breakfst. It was packed, a very good sign. The wait wasn't long and we got seated and served in plenty of time. The food was really delicious and we enjoyed getting to know the party at the table next to us. The restaurant has a real "family feel" and the food tasted like those comfort dishes Mom use to make.