Message from TripAdvisor:

“Dated, Not worth it, and bad management.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avalon
Hamilton Cove Villas
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

If you are expecting service this is not the place!

First major complaint is the golf cart..it was a piece of junk!!! So loud we needed earplugs to ride in it. Called manager Valerie and she told me" it was in perfect working order" and would not do anything or find me a replacement...meanwhile I think I now have hearing loss:)

Next complaint is no coffee available...this is small, but holiday inn stocks coffee! this is supposed to be a nice place. simple amenities go along way!

Final minor complaint is antiquated booking process. You have to send a fax and actual check! At least early 90's Decor and booking process matches.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Knowahh
Hamiltoncovemanager, Manager at Hamilton Cove Villas, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

We are very sorry that you felt your stay with us was unsatisfactory.
Due to the fact that each unit is individually owned; the decor, golf cart, and views will all vary drastically. There is no fee for the use of the golf cart, but as we do have them as a complimentary amenity we do our best to make sure that they are regularly serviced.
The particular golf cart that was referred to is a 2-stroke yamaha golf cart. Though it is louder than some other carts here on the island, there is nothing mechanically wrong with its performance. Since the city of Avalon only allows one golf cart to be registered to each residence, the unit owners are not allowed to have others on hand as a replacement. We wish this wasnt so.

My appologies for any inconvienence the booking process may have caused.
We try our best to make our booking process as easy as possible by emailing rental agreements for a timley receipt. We ask that the rental agreements are signed and returned with payment although we do accept rental agreements via fax.

To ensure that our guests have chosen the unit that they best like, our website (hamiltoncove.com) is uploaded with photos and descriptions for each unit.
Please contact us for any questions you may have in regards to a past present or future stay. We are sorry for any inconvience that this may have caused. We hope you enjoyed your visit to the island, and will return again.

We welcome and encourage any questions or concerns about the property and/or units as we use those suggestive comments to try and better our accomodations.

There are newer reviews for Hamilton Cove Villas

Reviewed April 26, 2012

My family and i stay at Hamilton Cove for a few nights a couple weeks ago for a birthday Celebration. When i called i originally called Catalina Island Vacation Rentals. I was immediatley turned off by the atittude that i was greeted with. Every questions i asked seemed as if i was bothering this young lady. i felt as if by business was not important. I then asked her if there were any other companies that rented out Hamilton Cove Units and she quickly replied "NO!" so i told her thank you and that i would just keep looking and call if i cad more questions.
i then found hamilton cove real estate. When i called a girl answered and immediatley asked me how i was and what my name was and in return told me hers. This was very inviting as i felt more like she wanted to know what MY needs were for our special celebration. Long story short...
We got two 2 bedroom units RIGHT next to each other, which was VERY convienient, and had an incredible time. When we called to ask about check in they told us that we could go straight out there and door would be unlocked and they keys on the counter. We found that convienient as we had a large party and wanted to get settled as soon as possible. In the unit we found a document that stated that if there was anything that we noticed wrong with the unit that we should all immediately. When i called to tell them that there was no dishsoap and the coffee maker didnt work, they had one sent out within the hour. The only complaint i had i called down to the office and spoke to the manager, i believe her name was Malorie, she said that she would send someone over as soon as she could. 35 minutes later a man came to the door to fix the deadbolt on our door. We later met the owner of the company who also said he lived out there. They were very nice and told us if we needed anything to let them know. Other than that minor door issue we had a blast and will definitely be staying with this company again.

Room Tip: If you stay here stay in a unit that is higher up, great panoramic view! And when making a reservati...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 042612j
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We rented 13-44 for 5 days, what a beautiful place. Golf cart comes with rental. Woke every morning to ocean view and sunrise. 2 sided balcony. Very quiet, calm place to relax but also has a lot of amenities. This unit had every thing we needed. Shopped at Von's for groceries. Gated complex with guard. Used the hot tub, it's huge, like a small pool. Mallory was so nice when booking this unit.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kjbooth
Reviewed April 9, 2012

The Good:
The golf cart was nice. The 3-4 minute drive was a nice little ride to Avalon.
The ocean views were really beautiful from the unit and balcony. The pool and spa were great but had to hop on the golf cart to drive there. Kids enjoyed the playground area and the private beach was nice.
There was a plenty of space for us as a family of 4 to be comfortable. We had a BR with a decent sized bed and a pull out sofa-bed in the living room.

Bad:
A lot of the furnishing and appliances were worn out and needed to be replaced. The leather on the couches and chairs were wore off in many spots, looked bad.
The sofa-bed was inexcusably bad. Our young kids slept in it but I couldn't imagine any1 older being able to sleep comfortably there. The mattress was thin and you could feel every worn spring.
Appliances were dated.
Only 1 wine glass in the unit, it was plastic and had a dolphin for a stem.
Large crack in the patio window above the dining table.
Only 1 little table lamp in master BR, providing very little light.
Nice patio view but it was shared with the neighbors with no division. I could have walked unencumbered to the neighbor's patio area. More than once the neighbors walked right onto our patio. There were no window coverings for the patio side so we had no way of closing anything to give us at least a feeling of more privacy.
I didn't like having to pay a $90 cleaning fee when we were expected to take out the trash and load and run the dishwasher before we left in addition to filling the golf cart with gas. Oh, and the only gas station is 1 hour round trip...
Last thing is I know we were only there 2 nights but there was no housekeeping service to the unit.

We paid over $300 after taxes and cleaning fee per night. I didn't feel the value was there for what we paid.
We did have a good time and enjoyed many of the amenities at the Hamilton Cove property. We felt this unit in particular needs some updating and the stay in the end wasn't worth the money we paid.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Mike C
CIVR, Manager at Hamilton Cove Villas, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for you response. This Villa is now under new ownership and they are making significant updates to the property. Also the window has been fixed. Please give us a call and we will make sure we find the best accomadations for you and your family. When staying at any of your properties if you do notice housekeeping or maintenance related issues call our office right away and we will do all we can to ensure your stay with us is an enjoyable one.

Thanks Again

CIVR Management

Reviewed April 9, 2012

My family and I come to Catalina every Easter this year we stayed in rooms 238 and 417. Room 238 was nice enough but the dishwasher is rusted needs some repair. It was clean and near the top of the stairs which was nice. My main complaint here the terrible customer service we received by the "manager." As soon as we got there my 60 year old mother in-law notified the front desk aka "manager" that her front door and back door didn't lock or stay shut. She told that "no one has been murdered in 100 years and you are in a gated community you will be fine." TERRIBLE! I don't think it's too much to ask for doors to work! The room was nice and the golf cart is a great attribute to the vacation but the service was upsetting. In addition our original room was booked for the wrong date and it was a clerical mistake my relative did not see until it was too late. When we got there we had to pay an additional 500 for another room. Apparently they don't notify you if your reservation was not kept and charge you anyway. My fiancee and I were considering getting married here but I can't put my family through the stress again. Summary: Nice rooms, nice golf carts, nice view, nice warm clean pool, TERRIBLE service. As a business owner customer service is what makes or breaks a company. I realize this is an island and it's a different way of living but when an elderly lady expresses feeling unsafe because doors don't lock or stay shut that should be handled more professional. What if that was your mother? If management is reading this, I have a video of the conversation and door in question if you would like.

Room Tip: Make sure you read your docs they might book you for the wrong weekend and if you don't catch it...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank nikelca2001
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This year, turkey week will be 11 years, we yearn for this one week of complete quiet. When we come home we can hear the freeway(two miles away)...It is so quiet in Hamilton cove but it take a few days to slow down and listen...We are so happy for this week, we recommend this spot to anyone who works hard and needs a rest...I asked the guard at the gate "How far will a tank of gas in the golf cart go?" He said" two weeks" No how far, in miles?"Two weeks" was his answer again. HHHaaaa He was right!
Anywhere in this complex is the best you will ever stay, and I have been around the world,twice ...Go here to rest...and listen closely ...Bob.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Robert H
Reviewed August 31, 2011

booked a hamilton cove condo through catalina island vacation rentals and loved the location. While it's not walking distance to all the town sights it's still very close (4 minute ride in golf cart)....and the view makes up for it - AMAZING. So peaceful...and there seems to be plenty of great options for a condo.

the rental company provides a golf cart and the condo had everything we need for cooking. I would def. go back and stay in HC again.

Room Tip: the websites are accurate with photos - def. get a room with a water view
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple