Hotel Catalina
Aurora Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$259
$239
$232
Casa Mariquita Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$178
Seacrest Inn(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$175
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
The Avalon Hotel(Avalon)(Great Value!)
$549
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdonutshot tubclaw foot bathtubthe main hoteloriginal hotelchose hotelevery morningrecommend hotelrooms are smallshort walkdive parkno elevatorquiet hotelshared balconyold victorianbed was comfortableolder hotel
Newport News, VA
Reviewed July 21, 2004

Overall a very nice stay. Front staff was very friendly and accomodating. Hotel offers "old style change lockers" for you to store your overnight gear, at no charge, if you check out but don't leave the island until later. Locker was 5 foot deep, 5 foot wide and 8 foot tall. Stayed in the "Haunted Bungalo" (Read the book Haunted Catalina) but didn't have any problems. It was actually rather exciting to think we would be visited. Hotel was Recently remodeled and the lobby didn't smell. The entire place was extremely clean and tidy. Hot tub was very hot so proceed with caution. Price is a bit on the higher side but we were very pleased.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kernville, CA
Reviewed May 16, 2004

I saw the other reviews AFTER I booked my vacation and, I must say, they scared me!
There were four in our group and we left with
much love of the Hotel Catalina! Clean, beautiful and quiet with a staff that enjoyed having us~
And the sunrise from the 3rd floor balcony, Perfect...What's not to like?
One complaint, the hill its on is not condusive to the elderly or disabled and this fact should be shown on hotel web page and/or asked upon reserving a room.
That's it :) Eight thumbs up!!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 25, 2004

I took my boyfriend to Catalina for the weekend as a Christmas present and stayed here on the recommendation of a friend who had warned me that "it's not five star but it's not like going to spending that much time in the room anyway". As it turned out it rained most of the weekend - so we did. She was right - it's not A+ but the rooms were clean and the staff was friendly - just like everyone else on the island (we got stranded in the rain multiple times and saved by passers-by almost every time). There were more conveniences in the room than had been indicated on the website (mini-fridge, ironing board) and at the end of the day I saved nearly $200 over staying at a hotel down the street I had originally booked. There were plenty of nicer places in Avalon, but none that I found worth the price for a quick getaway weekend. I was disappointed the hotel put us in a room on the back side of the hotel when they were no where near capacity (maybe 5, 6 couple and they have 30+ rooms?) but overall had a good experience. Be aware - the "package" Hotel Catalina offers does not come with a tour - they give you a $20 voucher to use to cover tours that you book in the middle of town so make sure it's not cheaper to just book the hotel separately.

• Stayed: January 2004
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
KrisGLBC, General Manager at Hotel Catalina, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

As of January 2012 we are pleased to announce that the Hotel Catalina is now under New Management. Come visit & experience our New European style Courtyard Garden Wing.

San Diego, CA
Reviewed January 4, 2004

After you get over the odor in the lobby you may find your room to be, as we did small but clean. The draft from the bathroom broken window was annoying and the temprature of the shower water. For some reason they require a blank credit card recipt enen when prepaid.

10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Pasadena, CA
Reviewed October 27, 2003

Old is sometimes quaint; other times, it's just old. This very, very old property has some architectural charm, and it is located a quiet block away from loud, crowded Crescent Dr. The rooms and property were reasonably clean, and the staff was nice enough. But the rooms (we had a private "bungalow") were very cheaply decorated and renovated. For $50 a night, it could have been written off as an adventure, but at $150 ($168, w. tax), you can't escape the feeling you've been "taken." (Of course, this description applies to most of Avalon.) I was embarassed to admit to my spouse that I chose such accommodations. You can do worse, but you can easily do better, at these prices. (Beware the early 10:00 am checkout, too.)

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member