“Forever In My Heart”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Vista Del Mar
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
San Francisco, California
“Forever In My Heart”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This hotel will forever have a special place in my heart, because it is where I proposed to my now -- fiancé. If you read my previous posts, I had a terrible thing happen to me, but as a true believer of "things happen for a reason," this hotel help create a long-lasting and unforgettable moment for my fiancé and I.

But enough about me; this hotel is everything you want for that weekend getaway. The concierge was extremely helpful, accommodating, nice, and very personable. The rooms are well lit, with lights in almost every angle, and you can set them in ways to meet your needs. The fireplace is a nice touch and with just a flip of a switch, very simple to use. The room itself is very spacious; with the sofas and dining area appropriately placed - my finance and I did not feel congested at all. Our king size bed was plush and soft and peacefully fell right to sleep after our long and adventurous day on the island.

Overall, my experience was excellent and I’m extremely happy that just about everything went the way I hoped.

1 Thank Joe A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have been visiting Catalina (Avalon and Two Harbors) for as long as I can remember. I am not usually wow'd by the hotel choices in Avalon as most seem to be a bit run down an in need of TLC...so I was pleasantly surprised with the entire experience at Vista Del Mar. I got the special package that paid for the round trip on the Catalina Express, a bottle of wine, and a garden room. The room was beautiful! Updated with beachy / spanish / tropical decor, high end finishes, quality linens. The bathroom has a nice skylight that brought in a lot of light. That helped since the room opens up to the atrium area and not outside. Juan at the front desk helped me plan the trip and was friendly every time we saw him at the front desk. I loved that we were able to take a glass of wine to the balcony overlooking the boardwalk, where breakfast was also served. It is in a perfect location right near the pier. I can't say enough nice things about this place...but I can assure you that we will be back! Thank you for making our Valentine's Day so special!

Room Tip: There are two ocean view rooms with patios overlooking the ocean. The only problem (or positive if...
2 Thank 805Susannah
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Its off season so we got a wonderful mid-week deal along with our roundtrip Catalina Express tickets for this great little hotel. Very nicely appointed, super clean with great staff. The continental breakfast in the morning and hot cookies and milk in the pm are a nice touch. The rooms seem recently updated with granite countertops and stylish decor. We had a small room with a fireplace and wet bar plus a comfy bed and small sitting area. Only downside to the room was that the bathroom was so small that you had to step into the shower before you could turn on the water which means you had to freeze while the water heated up to the correct temperature. The hotel is located up two flights of stairs, so if you are physically impaired, or just old and out of shape like me, it can be a challange. Other than those two issues, it is very nice and well located in Catalina downtown. We would stay there again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JacarandaSpirit
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This place is extremely well designed, well-kept, and provides excellent guest service. I came here for my 1-year anniversary with my girlfriend and we were beyond satisfied. We both agreed, this was one of the nicest hotel rooms either of us had ever stayed in, hands down.

-Right on the beach.

-Fresh ocean air flows off the harbor, through the beautifully-appointed guest corridor, & literally to your room's front door.

-Super clean, extremely modern guest rooms and common areas.

-Fireplace in room!

-Reasonably-priced mini bar.

-Fresh, warm milk & cookies delivered to our room while we were out(complimentary).

-Excellent, friendly service from the front desk staff. Kudos to the young lady who's name I cant recall(sorry), but checked us in on 2-6-13 around 11:30 AM. Also, kudos to Juan, he was great!

Hotel Vista Del Mar is the class of Catalina, in my opinion. I can't wait to come back here to live in luxury, if only for a day or two.

Room Tip: Courtyard deluxe rooms have a king bed, as opposed to the queen size found in the standard rooms.
Long Beach, California, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I found the hotel through Catalina Express’ Birthday Package. My boyfriend had never been to Catalina and was also turning 50. The hotel exceeded our expectation. The staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. The rooms were 5 stars and the Birthday Surprise was spectacular. The hotel staff booked our dinner reservations and the service staff and meal were excellent. We defiantly will be staying again.

1 Thank Carmen A
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 5, 2013

In December we took the Ocean room for 2 days:Very good bed,fun Jacuzy,great view,great deck..The only thing is for $300 a day (winter price) a better breakfast would have been welcome but it was not bad.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Kansas, United States
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The staff and accommodations at the Hotel Vista del Mar were excellent! The hotel is a short walk from the Catalina Express dock. Our room was beautiful and we were impressed with the awesome bed and shower, large flatscreet TV and automatic fireplace. We loved the bathroom products, used the complimentary blue ray DVD rental and even ordered a bottle of wine from the front desk. We loved the mini-bar, which was stocked with great snacks at reasonable prices. The continental breakfast was great as well!

This was a perfect overnight trip for my husband and I to just relax and unwind. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple