I booked the weekday package for our anniversary. Great deal that included transportation to the island on the Catalina Express and one tour of our choice.
It took about 5 minutes to walk from the dock to the hotel. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff. They have a luggage storage closet with an attendant. You can drop your luggage off if you are there early and your room is not read yet or you can store your luggage after check out and they will bring it to the dock for your departure on the boat.
Christina, our front desk clerk gave us a great run down of everything from the continental breakfast to the DVD library they offered. She also made sure to tell us how far of a walk restaurants and sites were so we were able to arrive in a timely manner.
Room was very clean and nicely appointed. Like other reviews state, the rooms have been recently refinished with very soothing, refreshing colors. Very quiet grounds. The review prior to mine is unfair to give such a poor rating based on noisy guests. Especially if they problem was taken care of by the hotel staff.
Complimentary continental breakfast was very generous. Get to it early before its wiped out.
The location is awesome. Right on the main street. The Casino (Round Art Deco Landmark building on the island. NOT a gambling casino, named for the Italian meaning of a gathering place) is about a 10 minute walk away. The Catalina Country Club is a 10 minute walk away from the beach. They have an AMAZING twilight/early bird menu from 5pm-6:30pm. I highly recommend it. Those were the furthest walks we went on...everything else is only a 2-3 minute walk away.
Coney Island West was a great fast lunch. Fries and onion rings were perfection. I had the charbroiled chicken sandwich, the hub had the double bacon cheese burger with 4 thick slices of bacon. Both were very tasty!!
The only thing that the hotel was unable to provide to our satisfaction was an anniversary gift. My husband wanted to surprise me with something in our room upon arrival. My husband called the hotel to arrange something and the staff member that he spoke with seemed a bit confused as to what he was looking for.
She said "We don't do anything like that...only if you want to pay for it"
She apparently thought my husband was looking for a freebie. He assured her that he WANTED to pay for something. She then provided 2 phone numbers of vendors they work with. The phone numbers were to the same place. Ha. He wasn't happy with what they were able to provide for an exorbitant amount of $$$.
My husband then turned to the web and found Lloyd's of Avalon Confectionery. He called and spoke with David. David was easy to work with an immediatly knew what my husband was looking for.
For under $50 he put together a beautiful basket with the LARGEST, most amazing caramel, chocolate and toffee covered apples and handmade chocolates. David actually went to the grocery store for my husband and bought a bottle of sparking cider for our room! THEN, he dropped it all off at the hotel for us!! Such great small town service! I was so surprised. The chocolates were some of the best I have ever had and I have worked with a world famous chocolatier.
We had a wonderful anniversary trip. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Complimentary room amenities include: Complimentary baggage service from the ferry, concierge service, continental breakfast, afternoon wine and cheese social, outdoor lounge with fire ring, movies, Blue Ray players & iPads for checkout, 37" flat screen TVs, HBO & Showtime movie channels, wireless Internet, iHome music centers, priority cabana/chaise reservations at Descanso Beach Club, priority table reservations at Avalon Grille, priority reservations at Island Spa Catalina, Starbucks coffee and tea, and in-room safes, refrigerators, irons, ironing boards & hair dryers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, HotelsClick and HRS so you can book your Pavilion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pavilion Lodge Catalina
- Pavilion Lodge Avalon
- Pavilion Hotel Avalon
- Catalina Island Lodge Pavilion
- Pavilion Hotel Catalina Island/Avalon, CA