“A wonderful place to stay - 9 out of 10”
Review of Pavilion Hotel

Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The hotel has great location just feet from the beach, friendly staff, wonderful grounds, up-to-date furnishings, comfortable beds and bedding, and complete in-room amenities (safe, fridge, starbucks coffee). The wine and cheese hour is wonderful. The value of our stay was significantly enhanced by the inclusion of a $100 value card for the catalina island company in our package. To get to 10 out of 10 the hotel will need to take housekeeping up that final notch to make it as exceptional as the rest of the hotel as cleanliness was good but not perfect.

Room Tip: Stay downstairs on either side of the main courtyard (includes wonderful garden seating). Avoid the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent visit to Catalina Island. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I am pleased to share your rave review to my entire team. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and recommending our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to Pavilion Hotel on your next visit to Catalina Island.

There are newer reviews for Pavilion Hotel

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Catalina has it all. We always choose to stay at the Pavilion Hotel because of their exceptional staff who provide attentive service to individual needs. All the rooms surround a beautiful open grass courtyard lined with flowering bushes and trees. If you want an exceptional experience book a downstairs room with individual patio, although there are umbrella tables and chaise lounges tucked within the gardens. We just returned from a week's stay celebrating our 60th anniversary there, and couldn't be happier. We started each day with a great complimentary breakfast, within a few steps to the sandy beach and sparkling blue water. The hotel offers a delicious assortment of cheeses and wines in the evening, and we loved to sit around the fire pit and celebrate with our family and new friends. You can even book numerous activities at their front desk. They will make all the reservations for you. I really recommend the "Sundowner" trip to the Isthmus in the open air boat, the "Blanche W." where you can have a personal encounter with one of the many bison, walk across to Two Harbors, and have a fantastic dinner at their restaurant. Going home the crew turns on the Klieg lights which attract myriads of flying fish. You might even get one in your boat! Everyone was terrific at the hotel but special kudos to Nathan, Elizabeth, Violet, Adam, Juan, Claudia, Leticia and all the rest who helped us celebrate our 60 years of marriage. We have spent many of our anniversaries with the Pavilion group over the years, and we have never been disappointed. Toni and Len

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to share your rave review to my entire team. I am proud of Nathan, Elizabeth, Violet, Adam, Juan, Claudia, Leticia who went out their way to make you feel welcomed and showed genuine care to ensure your stay was memorable. They will be very happy that you remembered his name.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

That's the first rule of Real Estate. However in terms of Hotel locations it's also key. The Pavilion is a few steps from the beach at Avalon but is also just a 5 minuet walk from the Express terminals. Since Avalon is about a square mile in total you're also central to any events that may be occurring on the island and also the local Vons in case you need anything for your stay. The updated rooms were comfortable with an LCD TV and AC in case it's warm.

Additionally the hotel offers lemonade throughout the day, wine tasting at 4:30 PM and a nice garden area to catch some sun if you wanted to catch some rays away from the beach crowd.

Of course if you're bored you're right next to the harbor so watch out for the crowds.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear are close to 3rd Street. Choose a more central room for a more quiet stay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Pavilion Hotel during your visit to Catalina Island. We appreciate your time to share with us your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to share your feedback with my entire team and will recognize them for a job well done. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This hotel charged me twice for taxes. I sent an email asking for a refund, however I have not received any resolution. I have since called and left several messages, and no one in customer service is returning my calls. It's been over 2 months since I was overcharged and it appears that no one in customer service cares. I will now have to report to a governing body to get my refund. I guess the hotel was done with me after they got the money out of me. Beware, check your bill, and know that they won't correct any issues once they have your money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Remy442
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2014

Hi Teresa-

We were just checking back on a few of our reviews and came across yours. We hope that the accidental charges have been removed. Please let us know if this is not the case by email us at social@scico.com. Thank you!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Sorry for the cheesy title, but you are going to LOVE this place!
I took my 86 years *young* Mother to Avalon Bay for 5 days/4 nights and we both agree, the Pavilion Hotel is the only place you should stay while on the Island. This was my first time coming to the Island, her 3rd, so I did all my research online. I am so glad I chose Pavilion as all the other hotels seemed to be either really old or up a hill or mountain. The hotel has two levels, but our 1st floor room had a mini-fridge, nice sized bathroom, 36" wall mounted flatscreen, two quite comfortable double beds and opened onto a plant screened Lanai, accessed by double French Doors.

And the Staff, OMG, they were Fantastic; everyone from the Front Desk Staff (Juan, Martin, and Nathan-Bellman Extraordinaire) who arranged our activity tickets and luggage pickup/dropoff for the Ferry; to our Housekeeping Staff (Celia, Clemintina, Mariam M), who cleaned our room, turndown service with chocolates and even brought us VOX water every evening; and cannot forget Juana, who made our daily complimentary breakfast, with Starbucks Coffee and the Wine/Cheese pairings each evening unforgettable. They were all quite accomodating, friendly and gave impeccable service!

The hotel is literally in the front and center of all the action of the 'Boardless' Boardwalk, the heart of most of the Avalon Restaurants, Bars, Excursions, Transportation and 14 steps out the front gate to the Beach and Bay. At least 95% of all the local attractions in this one square mile town are accessible with a 10-20 minute walk from your front door and if you upgrade your stay (which I did AFTER we arrived) almost every activity is discounted heavily or free to all your party by the Excellent Desk Staff.

Just a couple entertainment ideas: The Zip Line Tour was discounted by the hotel to $50 each (from $125 each-daytime; night is cheaper) and if you go on it, you may hear about the '86 year *young* Mother of 12' who had the Time of Her Life on them; Yes, THAT was she!! We also really enjoyed the Submarine Excursion to the Kelp Forest/Garden, thousands of fish!
We did rent a golf cart ($40hr-'buy 2hrs, get 3rd free' special) one day to take our own '3 hour tour' around the entire 1 mile square bayside town and traveled on just about every street and scenic overlook (some more than once) in that 3hr timeframe, even while picking up hitchhikers and giving them a tour of the village with us.

We had such a GREAT time, we are saving up to try and get back for another week this Fall, until then YOU ALL have a great time in Avalon, CA and make The Pavilion Hotel your 'Home Away From Home'!

Room Tip: All the rooms are surprisingly quiet, but for the best, try for a 'middle of the hotel' room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BRENT C
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Pavilion Hotel and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. Thank you for recognizing our staff with their exemplary service. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were 2 moms and 5 kids in two rooms. Really appreciated the great location (central but never felt noisy). Really loved the service. All seemed really dedicated to providing a great experience. The outdoor spaces were lovely, relaxing. Great wine and cheese and breakfast. Rooms are basic, particularly the bathrooms. Wish there were more hooks or towel rack. Rust in some spots in bathroom were noted, but with the kindness and professionalism I saw in other aspects it was easy to overlook.

While there we enjoyed $1 Taco happy hour at the Sandtrap (so full from wine and cheese we went somewhere cheap and easy for kids). Great fresh lunch at Metropole (ate there two days in a row!). Also had fancy dinner at Il Portofino where staff treated our kid centric party with grace.

While the price was a stretch for us, I think I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Can't wait for another trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Margaret M
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Pavilion exceeded our expectations in every way. The hotel is a 3 minute walk from the Catalina Express dock and wheeling our luggage over was a breeze. The service was friendly and prompt. Upon arrival we were informed that our room had been upgraded and the staff had a bottle of wine delivered to our room for the "inconvenience". We stayed in a ground floor king room with French doors that opened to a private patio. The rooms, grounds, location, etc. were superb. The included daily breakfast is very nice and the wine and cheese reception each evening was great. Our primary goal visiting Catalina Island was to Scuba Dive and The Pavilion served as a great base camp.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NorCalDiver_8
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent visit to Catalina Island. My team and I express our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your hotel experience with others on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your rave review and recognizing our exemplary service. We are very happy to read your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Pavilion Hotel.