“Wonderful stay thanks to great service, location, outdoor spaces”
Review of Pavilion Hotel

Pavilion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
atlanta, ga
“Wonderful stay thanks to great service, location, outdoor spaces”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We were 2 moms and 5 kids in two rooms. Really appreciated the great location (central but never felt noisy). Really loved the service. All seemed really dedicated to providing a great experience. The outdoor spaces were lovely, relaxing. Great wine and cheese and breakfast. Rooms are basic, particularly the bathrooms. Wish there were more hooks or towel rack. Rust in some spots in bathroom were noted, but with the kindness and professionalism I saw in other aspects it was easy to overlook.

While there we enjoyed $1 Taco happy hour at the Sandtrap (so full from wine and cheese we went somewhere cheap and easy for kids). Great fresh lunch at Metropole (ate there two days in a row!). Also had fancy dinner at Il Portofino where staff treated our kid centric party with grace.

While the price was a stretch for us, I think I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Can't wait for another trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Margaret M
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent visit to Catalina Island. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I am pleased to share your rave review to my entire team. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor and recommending our hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to Pavilion Hotel on your next visit to Catalina Island.

Roberto Perico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
San Jose, CA
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Pavilion exceeded our expectations in every way. The hotel is a 3 minute walk from the Catalina Express dock and wheeling our luggage over was a breeze. The service was friendly and prompt. Upon arrival we were informed that our room had been upgraded and the staff had a bottle of wine delivered to our room for the "inconvenience". We stayed in a ground floor king room with French doors that opened to a private patio. The rooms, grounds, location, etc. were superb. The included daily breakfast is very nice and the wine and cheese reception each evening was great. Our primary goal visiting Catalina Island was to Scuba Dive and The Pavilion served as a great base camp.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NorCalDiver_8
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Pavilion Hotel on your recent visit to Catalina Island. My team and I express our sincerest appreciation for taking the time to share your hotel experience with others on TripAdvisor.

Thank you for your rave review and recognizing our exemplary service. We are very happy to read your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Pavilion Hotel.

Los Angeles,Ca
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Had a wonderful 3 days, 2 nights at this hotel. Everyone was very accommodating. Although the rooms are small, they are beautifully furnished and clean. The wine and cheese plus the breakfast added for a perfect weekend. Centrally located but yet calm and serene. I definitely would take my family back here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brian P
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Pavilion Hotel during your visit to Catalina Island. We appreciate your time to share with us your experience on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to share your feedback with my entire team and will recognize them for a job well done. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

San Diego, California
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This was my first trip to Avalon, only other Catalina experience was a camping trip to Two Harbors. Upon review of Tripadvisor and Yelp, we settled on Pavilion, even though the rate was a bit steep at $280/night (all taxes/fees included). After a reasonable Catalina Flyer trip (note to self: driving from San Diego use Catalina Express out of Dana Point, not Flyer out of Newport Beach) we arrived at 10:30 in the morning. Jump off the boat and two Pavilion employees were ready to take our luggage. A very short walk to Pavilion and we were greeted in the beautiful lobby by very friendly front desk employees. Room was not ready but they took all our luggage and a cell number to call as soon as it was ready. We explored the grounds of the hotel which have some of the most beautiful landscaping I have ever seen. No pool, but really, it was not missed as you are about 15 steps to the beach and the manicured palm trees, flowers and greenery were better suited for quiet relaxation. Nice lounge chairs with tables/towels, a fire pit with comfy chairs and couches facing the beach were all great places to curl up and read a book or just watch the beach/people watch.

Room was ready shortly after lunch (tip: loved the healthy options at the Metrople Cafe) and we quickly unpacked in our double room. I went with a friend so we opted for the two double room and it had plenty of room for the two of us. I loved the crisp clean decor, very well decorated with navy, coral and lots of clean white. Flat screen TV with HBO channels so we were able to catch a couple movies. Air conditioning was a wall-mounted unit, which was a bit tricky and cumbersome, but at least it had it - though we only used the fan option at night as you could open the windows and catch a great breeze.

Bathroom was great, nice hair dryer, good water pressure, plenty of hot water. Heck, I even liked the shampoo/conditioner/lotion! I liked that the sink was outside the toilet/shower so that while my roommate was showering I could get ready. Nice coffee maker with starbucks coffee. Closet with shelves to unpack and plenty of hanging space. Safe under sink... though ours did not work.

Every night around 8PM housekeeping came by to turn down the bed and provide bottled Voss water and chocolate.

The breakfast was small but perfect for our needs. Fresh fruit (amazing mango), breads, pasteries, ham, oatmeal/cerals/ yogurt and hard boiled eggs. They also had someome making cappucino's to your order. Nice little touch was salt water taffy in this room all day long... won't say how many times I dug into those over the weekend. Also orange water outside during the day.

Wine hour was probably my favorite, which a great selection of four wines (two red, two white) along with three types of cheeses and little baguettes. Started promptly at 4:30 and ended at 5:30. You could either partake in the room or outside in the lounge/courtyard area.

Checkout was a breeze, slight confusion when checking in bags as they were very busy, but in the end all our bags were brought to the baggage office by the docks and we were good to go!

I absolutely loved this place, the location, grounds, staff, room and service were top notch. I don't think I will be able to stay anywhere else on the island! Dreaming of my next trip.

Room Tip: I personally liked the standard rooms on the 2nd floor - for security, but the ground floor did have...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013

Huntington Beach, California, United States
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Went to Catalina for a night and this hotel was perfect. Loved the free wine and cheese in the evenings....Perfect location to get to everything in Avalon and the service was good. Front desk helped us book a couple tours and gave us good info on restaurants. I'd definitely come back here for the convenience of this hotel!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eryn L
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Pavilion Hotel and for taking the time to share your memorable experience of your recent stay on TripAdvisor.

It is my pleasure to share your feedback with my team. We recognize our staff when they go out of their way to create exceptional experiences for our guests.

Thank you once again for recommending our hotel, and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome your return.

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I loved our stay here. The property is newly remodeled, our room was clean and spacious. We found fresh flowers, chocolate boxes and a note from the manager upon check in. Various coffee and tea selection in the room with flavored creamers & a very nice turn down service!
The property is broken up into 3 separate lounging areas, the first one being a shaded sit down area with comfortable padded chairs, love seats and coffee tables with a spectacular view of the ocean. the second section consist of lounging cushion chairs and side tables surrounding a concrete fire pit, great place to sit down and have a glass of wine and converse with other hotel guest. The last area consisted of pool lounger chairs and some umbrellas surrounded by the luscious greens of the patio, a great place to sit and enjoy a book or lay out for some sun bathing.
Another great amenity about this hotel was the cheese and wine tasting they offer for all guest in the evenings. If i remember correctly it was held between 3:30-5pm They 3 different wines every day we were there and different types of cheese and toast. We loved sitting outside enjoying the view with some complimentary wine! They also offer a continental breakfast.
I defiantly will book another stay with them on my next trip to Catalina Island! oh almost forgot to mention the fabulous staff! I had a special surprise planned and they were very helpful to accommodate me and assist me with it! they are also amazing about booking activities and getting dinner reservations. We got most of our activity tickets through the front desk at the beginning of our day instead of having to run around to the different places.

Room Tip: second level rooms are a bit more inexpensive but are identical to to ground floor rooms, and in my...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to share your rave review to my entire team. I am proud of my staff who went out their way to make you feel welcomed and showed genuine care to ensure your stay was memorable.

Derby
Reviewed June 6, 2013

A great place to stay in Avalon. Friendly efficient staff, easy check in and out and good clean, modern rooms. With an extensive buffet continental style breakfast and evening free wine and cheese tasting they certainly look after you well. There are plenty of places to sit in the garden or on the terrace to chill out. There is a fire pit to keep you warm on cool evenings.

Close to a number of bars and restaurants but not so near that you hear any noise from these. It's right on the seafront, eating breakfast looking at the bay is a great way to start your day. The price may seem a little high, everything is a bit more expensive on Catalina, but it's well worth it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John W
CatalinaSCICo, General Manager at Pavilion Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of your recent stay at the Pavilion Hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular, you were delighted with the service provided by my team. I will personally share your feedback with them.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back to Catalina Island.