“Great place....very friendly staff.”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have stayed at he Metropole many, man6 times over the last 30 years.
Its a family traditon in our family.
The rooms are always spotlessly clean and nicely appointed with large flatscreen TVs , etc.
The thing that may standout the most about the Metropole is the very real and friendly staff.
These are not some kind of corporate forced " we love you " zombies that you find nowadays at banks and supermarkets. These are real and concerned people who like their jobs and it shows.
We always enjoy their continental breafast bar / buffet. Taking it back to the room to eat on the small balconies or with the sea breeze blowing into the room.
Great place to stay when you go there...in fact the ONLY place to stay on Catalina.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband surprised me this weekend by taking me to Catalina Island. He booked a romantic getaway for the two of us and booked us a great room at the Hotel Metropole. We arrived before their guaranteed check in time and the friendly front desk girl said our room was ready and checked us in. Upon entering the room we were surpised with a bottle of champagne on ice. Our room was beautiful, clean and very spacious. It had a balcony facing the side street but from our balcony we had a glimpse of the ocean and the Casino building. We also had a nice jacuzzi bathtub and a fireplace. it definitely was a very romantic room.
Throughout our stay the staff was very friendly and helpful. The Hotel Metropole exceeded our expectations. . We are already planning our next trip here with our kids.
We will let all of our family and friends know of what a great place this!! Will definitely come back

Room Tip: Best place in town!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This will be our 2nd time staying at the Hotel Metropole in July. It is a fantastic hotel! Accommodations are amazing and everything you'd except in a hotel. Very clean, bed is incredibly, room has enough room to spread out, and very family friendly! Staff are extremely helpful, they offer suggestions on things to do, let you know what's happening around the island during your stay, and help with any reservations you may need for restaurants, etc. This is definitely becoming a family tradition every summer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the VIP Ocean Front rooms. They are an excellent choice in rooms with kids. You open...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Booked the trip on a whim. Just got back yesterday. Hotel Metropole is the spot to stay. Great room, everything was new and up to date. Roof top jacuzzi over looking the water was a plus! Everybody was really nice. We didn't ask for much but when we did the staff was on it. My boyfriend went fishing I got massage at a cute little day spa called A Touch Of Heaven... And it truly was lol. Best part about it is its located right below the hotel lobby. Didn't even have to get out of my robe :)
Definitely will be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I wish there was a rating worse than Terrible for this dishonest, insulting, and non accomodating hotel. After reading other reviews on here where the hotel manager "catalinagregg" responds to reviews insinuating that the guests were not being completely truthful I have attached pictures so caatalinagregg and everyone else who reads this review will know who is telling the truth and who is not.

To start, we booked our hotel room way in advance. This was to ensure that we recieved the exact room we wanted before they were all booked. We booked our hotel stay in November for our stay in April. This was a rare romantic getaway weekend and we wanted it to be special. We also booked over the phone. No coupons, no discount websites, over the phone talking to a live person who guarenteed us that the particualar room we were receiving would be everything we were asking for. Not even close.

We booked a special room that were were told was to have partial ocean views, a fireplace, king bed, and jacuzzi tube that opened up into the main part of the hotel room (not a tub in the bathroom like most normal rooms.) Lets be clear we paid more for the room with the upgrades (view, fireplace, jacuzzi tub) than a room without them. The only thing we got that we reserved was the King bed- nothing else!

We arrived at the hotel around 245 and were told our room was ready. Check in was a 3pm so I was glad we could get to our room a little early before everyone else started checking in. When we got to our room it was 5 feet from the hotel sauna- loud and croweded already. Not a great start. Then I opened the door. I was meeted with view of power lines, air conditioning units and the rooftop of the hotel next door. (see picture). I will note, that if I stood in the far corner of our balcony and leaned over the railing I could see the ocean- apparently that is this hotel's verison of a partial ocean view- waking up to power lines and air conditioning units in the morning.

Then I looked for the fireplace- it is true the room had one but it was clearly marked as NOT working. There was a sign on the switch to turn on the fireplace that said "Fire place. Out of Order" (see picture) and there was a piece of slate inside the fireplace (see other picture) CLEARLY SHOWING THE HOTEL KNEW THE FIREPLACE WAS NOT WORKING AND STILL PUT US IN THAT ROOM CHARGING US FOR AMENITY THAT WAS NOT WORKING.

Then came the bathtub- it was inside the bathroom right next to the toliet (see picture). Not what we asked for, not what we paid for, not what we were promised. Very romantic...

Now for the insult. I immediately called down to the front desk and very nicely asked for a new room. I was told there was nothing they could do. There were no other rooms. I was told "you got the room you reserved." Hardly. I then asked to speak to a manager, Veronica. She also told me there were no other rooms- they were all filled. I found this extreemly hard to believe seeing as how we had checked in early and I knew for a fact not all of the other rooms were already occupied. She offered me a 5% discount but I told her I did not care about the money, I wanted to type of room I had requested. She again refused to do anything except she did offer to send up a bottle of champagne... This is the best part. Here comes the INSULT.

Disappointed I hung up the phone and we decided to venture out and see the island (which is beautiful by the way.) When we got back from dinner we had bottle of champagne waiting. Great we thought...until I looked at the bottle and noticed it was a twist off. Odd I thought, I have never seen twist off champagne but I have had some white wines that are twist off and they were very nice. We twisted off the cap and took one sip and was disgusted. It was the worst champagne I have ever had. I then got out my phone looked up the champagne and found out that it is a $2 BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE!!!!!!!! (see another picture) They completely mess up our hotel room so they send us a $2 bottle of champagne. I have seen a lot but this is ridiculous.

Overall our horrible hotel stay did not ruin our weekend but I will never stay here again. At checkout the hotel took 5% off my bill (again insulting- I should at least have been charged the rate for the rooms that didnt have a view, jacuzzi, or fireplace- but no, not at this hotel.) Based on other reviews and my personal stay, it seems that this hotel is great when everything goes right but if you dont get the room you requested get ready for a staff that does not care and that insulting $2 bottle of champagne. I understand that life isn't always what you planned but when you are paying the type of money we did to stay at a hotel we expect to get what we were promised or for the hotel to do what they can to try and remedy the situation. A little courtacy would have gone a long way Catalinagregg, neither you nor your staff cared at all. I will continue to tell my friends and family (and fellow tripadvisor users) to find another hotel when visiting Catalina island.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
24  Thank AKV3
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Hotel Metropole is the place to stay when visiting Avalon! From the time you step into the lobby, you are treated like family. I have stayed here many times, and have loved every room I was in. If you want to treat yourself, book the Beach House or a suite! In the morning, try a scone with the other organic breakfast items. After all the adventures from exploring the island, you can unwind with a spa treatment at the hotel. Service is good; beds are comfy; rooms are spacious and decorated nicely; even the lotions and shampoos are sweet!

Room Tip: Don't forget to relax at the spa! The breakfast scones are delicious!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Not only was the staff friendly curteous and helpful, the location puts you right in the heart of Avalon...walking distance to everything. Massage right downstairs and the jacuzzi overlooking the ocean was a really nice treat!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
catalinagregg, Owner at Hotel Metropole, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for the review. We truly appreciate your business and will continue to strive to offer the cleanest, best kept and most hospitable accommodations on the island.