“Good Option on Catalina”
Review of Hotel Metropole

Hotel Metropole
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Avalon
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We just returned from a weekend stay on Catalina at the Metropole. All in all, it is a good hotel but could still use a bit of work.

The hotel appears to be in an older building that was updated somewhat recently. However, the updates were not comprehensive so although some aspects of the hotel and rooms are nice, it still feels a bit old. For example, the room was updated in a nice neutral manner with more modern furniture, iPod dock, neutral colors, crown moldings etc., but the hallways are still quite outdated.

The location was good but then again, Catalina is small so wherever you stay, you are generally close to everything.

We were in a Deluxe room which overlooked the courtyard. I would recommend ocean view if possible as our room did get a bit loud at times.

I did have a few complaints. First, the bed was not particularly comfortable - a major issue for me. Second, the air-conditioning unit was quite loud (again, old unit, part of the hotel that was clearly not updated). Finally, the rooms do NOT have safes, which these days I expect in just about any hotel.

For our purposes, the hotel was fine but I admit I was expecting more based on the website.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard can get loud so perhaps Ocean view?
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SarahInSoCal

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We absolutely loved this hotel. We stayed here for one night and it was wonderful (me, my sister, our 4 kids). The rooms are gorgeous and modern. All of the employees we encountered were great. Initially, we were supposed to be in a room near a large wedding party (who started drinking on the catalina express at 10 am), so I asked to be moved to a different room when I heard we were right near them. I can't stand noise, so the last thing I wanted for our one night was to be near a crazy drunk wedding party. They had to move some things around for us, but they got us another room, one floor up (3rd floor, slightly more expensive) and it was great. It had a nice little balcony, fireplace and 2 queen beds. Bathroom is super small, but that didn't matter to us. I never heard a single noise from any other room the whole time we were there, and like I said, I'm annoying about noise. It was silent! The hot tub on the 4th floor is the tiniest hot tub you'll ever see, but we were travelling with our kids, and they thought it was awesome. The view from up there is beautiful. The continental breakfast is great. At first glance I thought it seemed pretty meager (and they set it up right off the small lobby), but, when we were ready to eat, the choices were actually great. Cereal, bagels, croissants, yogurt, orange juice and Starbucks coffee. We were getting right back on the boat, so this saved us a ton of money. I suppose it's on the pricier side, but it's worth it. It's about 4 long blocks from the ship - but I liked that it was a little away from there. There is a little arcade and bowling area a few steps from the hotel, and that was a lot of fun, too.
I highly recommend this hotel. It's also one of the only hotels I found on Catalina that let you stay only one night on Friday. If you stay Saturday night, you have to stay two nights (strange), but you can stay only Friday, which is rare on Catalina.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rkcue
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Very nice hotel in a great setting. Initially we had a room with an obstructed view,b ut when we mentioned it at the front desk they immediately found another room for us and it was great. Everything about the hotel was in tip-top shape and the staff was very friendly. We've stayed at a couple of other places in Catalina but this was by far the nicest.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This charming hotel is the perfect place to stay in Catalina Island. Yes, it's a bit pricey and there are other hotels in Avalon that charge much less. But they don't offer the same flair. Hotel Metropole features modern upscale comfort in the midst of a place filled with old time charm. The rooms are newly remodeled with electric fire places, very comfortable beds, flat screen TV's, nice bathrooms and cute balconies that overlook a wonderful shopping and dining area below. The courtyard has something for everyone, including an arcade, stores and a bakery with the best pastries and desserts around. There's even a small Von's grocery store next door. So you can dine out or stay in and enjoy your room. Oh... the free breakfast is great too. They keep it well stocked. The best part is you can walk to the hotel from the pier. In fact, you can walk just about everywhere. But if you want to drive, there's a golf cart rental store nearby. I recommend Catalina Island to anyone looking for a quiet, peaceful, relaxing vacation and the Metropole Hotel is definitely the place to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room overlooking the courtyard. You'll get a view of the water too. It'...
Reviewed May 22, 2012

When we arrived at Hotel Metropole we were greeted by a friendly staff. Since we arrived early they suggested we leave our bags with them while we enjoy the island until our room is ready. They even offered to call me on my cell when the room was available! Our room was very comfortable and clean and welcoming. Our balcony afforded us a view of the harbor and a great place to eat breakfast. The jacuzzi (on the top floor) offered views of the harbor as well. The continental breakfast was just right! Fresh scones and Starbucks coffee along with granola cereal, fresh fruit, bagels and toast, orange juice and milk provided a very nice meal. And with the trays provided there was no need to make a second trip (all of about 20 feet to the elevator and another 20 feet to the buffett.)

Room Tip: Ask for a view!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris G
Reviewed May 10, 2012

We had a very bad experience at the so called bed and breakfast Seacrest inn!, what a dive. This was a welcome relief! Nice view, great continental breakfast, comfy bed. When I go back to Catalina, this is where I will stay.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2012

Rooms are clean and comfortable and the staff is great. A great place to stay.