“Always good stuff!” 5 of 5 stars

The Cottage Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 49 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
San Diego, California
“Always good stuff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I've stayed in Avalon many times, over the years, and I ALWAYS eat breakfast at the Pancake Cottage. I almost always have the chicken fried streak and eggs and it is DELISH! I like that they deliver a carafe of coffee to the table and let you refill you cup, whenever necessary. I was recently there on a cruise and the first thing I did was go for breakfast! Full and happy, I wandered around Avalon and reacquainted myself with the town. I look forward to going back, hopefully in the fall, and I'll eat there, as usual, YUM!

• Visited May 2013

Aliso Viejo, California
“great food and prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We ate lunch here and it hit the spot! Huge menu and portion sizes, great food and prices. I had a club sandwich with fries and the husband had a burger, both were great!

Visited March 2013
SO CAL
“FANTASTIC BREAKFAST ON MAIN STREET!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This cheery high ceilinged restaurant was our find after arriving in Avalon from Dana Point on the Cataliner Flyer boat transfer.

Our breakfast included Buckwheat pancakes, and French Toast with bacon. Both were excellent and French toast thick and fluffy with big scoop of butter. Two kinds of syrup offered; maple and boysenberry. Buckwheat didn't taste that much different from regular pancakes but were a little bit denser, they were also delicious.

Bacon comes with 5 or 6 pieces of bacon so one order enough for two. Very good.

So good we went back for a second day. Once again French Toast delicious but also ordered oatmeal and banana/chocolate chip pancakes. Oatmeal plentiful and delicious but the pancakes arrived with wonderful chocolate chips sprinkled on top as well as melted inside the pancakes. Decadent! Oh don't forget it comes lathered with whipped cream.

I wish this restaurant was on the mainland! The menu offers omelettes, Eggs Benedict, etc. Very extensive with something for everyone. Very recommended.

• Visited April 2013
San Diego, California
“Excellent choice for breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We went for a late breakfast at this place. Food was excellent as was the service. The pancakes and eggs are delicious. Prices were very reasonable and also quite fair. They were happy to provide us with substitutions - as there were some things that came in our plates that we did not want. The waitress was awesome - a local from Avalon. She gave us excellent service and provided us with useful information about the island and some of its history. I strongly recommend this place. Do go in early though because from our experience a lot of the restaurants close early - by 1 or 2 PM during the week. Not sure what the weekend hours are. Definitely go to this place and have a bite to eat. It is also on the beach,- right on the water front on Crescent Avenue. You can see the beach from the restaurant's windows. Enjoy.

Visited February 2013
San Francisco, California
“Great breakfast! Inspiring owner Muriel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Had the Belgian waffle w/great strawberries & bananas. I rarely order this & would order again! Bacon was perfect. The owner Muriel was so amazing. The view perfect. Would definitely go there again.