“Poor experience on so many levels”
Review of Coyote Joe's

Coyote Joe's
Ranked #34 of 50 Restaurants in Avalon
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Lehi, Utah
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor experience on so many levels”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

For the first evening of our fourth annual "girls weekend" on Catalina, we tried Coyote Joe's for the first time. The outdoor patio was pleasant and inviting, and the location was just off the main street so we could hear each other talk. Warning #1: The table decorations included cheap plastic flowers in small pots - not really conducive to the authentic Mexican theme. Perhaps this should have been our first clue as to what was ahead of us.

Warning #2: the John Daly (vodka/lemonade/tea) was touted as being "better than a Long Island Iced Tea, and makes you feel twice as good." Five of us decided to try it. One sip and we all looked at each other winching in disgust. The rancid taste made us all return our drinks to be replaced with greyhounds. How can you mess up Vodka and grapefruit juice? Ask the bartender at Coyote Joe's, since apparently he'll be able to tell you!! None of us finished our replacement round of drinks either. Very disappointing.

Warning #3: Our first clue as to the quality of the food was spotting the deep fried Dodger dog on the menu. We order the basics: super nachos (burned beef ); chicken enchilada (no flavor and very dry); and tacos (minimally "okay."). There was literally no flavor and very bland. This place needs an authentic mexican chef and sous chef to deliver on the promise of Mexican food and flavors which were completely absent from every dish!

All in all the WORST eating experience we've had in the four years we have been coming to the Island for our girls weekend. I would say beware, be warned, and be wise to avoid eating here at all costs. Sorry to be so harsh, but other than the fair service, this place has almost no redeeming qualities.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank tanders515
Billfish55, Manager at Coyote Joe's, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
I'd like to start by saying thank you for trying Coyote Joe's. I am truly sorry that your experiance was not up to your standards. I was working the day you came into the restaurant. I'll go throught this one thing at a time to make it easier to follow. #1 I have traveled throughout mexico many times. When I dine I prefer to eat at mom and pop places. Most of these type of places use paper or cloth flowers for decor on their tables and around their restaurant. They may not be to your liking be we do have people say they like them. #2 the John Daly is made with an ice tea infused vodka and pink lemonaide. Once again sorry you didn't care for it, we sell an lot of them and we have people come here to have them. You didn't like them so we replaced your drinks, with grey hounds, We use all Ocean Spray juices and unless you ask for a particular vodka we use a well vodka, you sound like the type of person that would normally upgrade to call or preimium vodka.We do pour a large 1 3/4 ounce shot in our drinks so maybe that could have been the problem. #3 As for the quality of the food, we buy all premium raw goods which are prepared daily except for the tamales which are very labor intensive. The Coyote Dog is a very popular item and we liken it to a mexican corn dog, if you would have tried one you might have liked it. It's a Dodger Dog with cheddar cheese rolled in a flour tortilla, and fried, since we don't have a childs menu we try to put a couple of fun things on the menu for them. The Narley Nachos are topped with Carne Asada, the chopped steak is marinaded and seared not burnt on a very hot grill. As for the Chicken Enchilladas, not quite sure how they could be dry as the are covered in our homemade moleand cheese. I'm not sure if were expecting Tex Mex food which is very spicy, but if you have ever eaten food in mexico or East L.A. you would find mexican food is traditional very lightly seasoned, that is what the salsa or hot sauce is for. All of the restaurants I go to have cooks not chefs, or sous chefs. I went to chefs school and I find truly good Mexican food and the word chef do not belong in the same sentence, you have cooks that learned cooking from their mothers or fathers. Try going to Alvera Street and eat at one of the taco stands not the fancy restaurant the serves mango papaya salsa, or a taco truck in East L.A.and you will find real Mexican food . We hope you will gives us a try again and if you don't like it let us know. Once again thank you for coming in.

Escondido
“Favorite Place”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

This is my second review, i'm with a Scout Troop and we go to Coyote Joe's at the end of our Backpacking trip every year. The service is always great, try putting up with 15-20 13-18 year olds. service is always with a smile.

• Visited August 2011
Moreno Valley, California, USA
“Good Food - Better than others”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

We ate lunch at Coyote Joe's yesterday. We were greeted promptly and drink order taken. Once we ordered the service seemed to slow. I ordered the Chicken Quesadilla minus the green chiles and my husband had the asada nachos. Both were pretty good.

Detroit, Michigan
“Good burgers”
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I had their coyote burger ---- very juicy good.
They have an outdoor patio sitting - so it was nice drinking, eating, and people watching.

San Diego
“Tired”
Reviewed August 6, 2010

The only thing great here was the Margarita's. Everything else was tired. The waitstaff, the food, the atmosphere.