“Pretty good!”

Holiday Inn Auburn
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 2, 2014

The check-in service was speedy and pleasant, as was the checkout. The plastic keys didn't work very well, sometimes not at all....I had to get a new one from the front desk a couple of times in the two days that I was there.
The lobby was nice; they even had a bookshelf with books on it that one could borrow....so I borrowed one, which I took with me to finish on the plane, and I left the one that I had bought in the airport in New York and read on the plane out.
The room was clean, the bed linens were of decent quality, and the bathroom was clean.
It had a nice swimming pool in a central courtyard. I didn't use it, but I saw people cleaning it both mornings.
The restaurant upstairs had rather constricted hours, and the coffee was truly terrible.
It is right next to an In And Out, so that is very convenient!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Majicholiday1, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2014

Thank you for taking your time to write a review for the Holiday Inn. We appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for your kind words about our front office staff and our lobby. Our keys on the other hand appear to be an issue, and thank you for saying something, as we will get on this right away! I'm delighted to hear you took advantage of our little lending library. When you return to Auburn, we hope you will stay with us!

Reviewed August 26, 2014

Yes the hotel is clean. But it should be for the price. I checked in at 9-30pm and left at 7am and had to beg for a decent rate. It was still to expensive for a hotel off the interstate. I wandered looking for an ice machine, no signage. When I checked in there was a customer at the desk because her key didn't work. My key didn't work.... twice. It was late I was tired, I had to go down to the desk twice, it's a big hotel. The ac didn't work very well. The guy came up and shrugged his shoulders. I had it set at 62 and it cooled slightly. It's in the 70s outside and I am stuffy. The internet was as slow as molasses. All in all very disappointing for the money.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Majicholiday1, Manager at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write. We are sorry to hear that you had problems with your key, I will have our chief engineer check the doors as this should not happen. Regarding your a/c unit, I do apologize that it wasn't up to your satisfaction. Our houseman has put that unit on our "maintenance request form" and has been checked. We do hope that when you are back in Auburn that you will give us another chance to make your stay an enjoyable one.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We visited this hotel by chance. It is one of the cleanest we've found.

There is a In and Out burger next door. The hotel restaurant, Max, was good, but quite expensive. The laundry area was good, but could use a cleaning. $2.00 for washing, $2.00 for drying. Both washer and dryer are small, so I had to do 2 loads.

We were disappointed to be refused a late checkout (one hour) even though the hotel was not full and we are Priority Club

• Stayed: August 2014
Majicholiday1, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for the Auburn Holiday Inn. We very much appreciate hearing from our guests. IHG rewards members should get a 2pm check out here at our hotel. I will address this issue and thank you for saying so. We hope you will return to Auburn, soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and i booked a room here for our in-town date night. Everything started out ok. Was great that they offer two free drinks for Max's as well as wine tasting in the lobby. The room was also nice and clean, but we had several problems with our key card. It took multiple times to get it to work initially. Then later it stopped working and we had to go down to the front desk to get new keys, even though we kept them away from our cell phones as they advised. Later in the evening, it stopped working again, and we had to get new cards for the second time, which even those were flaky, but the guy at the front desk was nice enough to call us to make sure we got into the room. The hallways in the rooms were not air conditioned, so it was very muggy until you got into room. Also, the cleaning service woke us up early even though we were set to check out that day and we had to tell them we were checking out later, but none of those is what is motivating this review. About a week after our stay, I checked my account to see if the hold they put on was finally taken off, only to find that they had charged me five hundred dollars two days after we checked out. When i called to inquire i was informed it was a smoking fee. What?!?! Now both myself and my husband are smokers, however, we do not smoke indoors, especially since we have two young kids, and we certainly didn't smoke in the hotel room. In fact, when i first checked in, i asked if there was designated smoking areas. The gal at the desk said anywhere outside, just not in the room. I replied to her of course, i only inquired cause we have stayed at hotels that don't allow smoking on the property at all and you must walk off the property so i was just making sure whether there were specific spots on the property or if we had to be off the property. She then replied a little snooty, just not in the room. After her change in tune, i was not only a little offended that she would think that we would smoke inside but annoyed that she had to have the change in her tone of voice with some attitude behind it. Of course though we knew we wouldn't be smoking inside, so i just ignored it and didn't think about it again, until finding we were charged for smoking in the room. Now, we know that is impossible because we were the ones there, but what floored me what when the manager finally called me back today. She stated that there was an empty cigarette box in the trash. Well, of course there is, what else would they like me to do with it, litter it on their property? Then she said they have pictures. I asked her what sort of pictures can she possibly have cause again, we didn't smoke in the room. She said they are of ashes on the phone. Another what?!?! I told her that is impossible, literally physically impossible! She tired to recite their policy again, and i informed her that i am well aware of the policy and that is why i am upset because i didn't violate their no smoking in the room policy. I explained to her that we went outside each and everytime to smoke, a couple of times which we went for a walk and was off of the property. She then said the room smelled like smoke. I started to her "again" that was impossible. The only way would be third hand from our clothes, but that is not enough to cause the entire room to smell of smoke. Finally, i asked her if she has video surveillance which she said yes. I asked if they log how many times we go in and out of the room and she said yes, so i told her to check get videos and our key card log and she will clearly see that we went outside everytime to smoke. She said she needed to investigate this and get back to me. I haven't heard anything as of yet, but i truely hope that she does the right thing and refund the money so i don't have to go ahead and dispute it with my card company or take them to small claim court, cause I'm not backing down when i know i am being falsely accused of something i know didn't happen! If it weren't for this incident, i would have gladly given four stars as the minor issues we experienced was just that, minor. And the overall stay was nice, but at the moment i cannot help but be grossly offended and disappointed in them for what is going on, especially since i have gps location history on my phone that shows we went outside multiple times, and that i have never smoke indoors, not only because of my children but because it damages the inside. I don't know about anyone else, but to be accused of something you didn't do is one of the most frustrating things a person can experience. It's sad too, because being in town, we were excited about future date nights there, but after this incident, never again :(

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank auburntownie
Majicholiday1, Manager at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

I'm very sorry you are upset about our smoking fee. It is very expensive to do what is necessary to get the room back to our standard. It requires a lot of extra cleaning and a machine to run if someone smokes in a NON SMOKING room. The keys were certainly an issue for you and for that I do apologize and that has been addressed. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and our local wine tasting we do every Friday evening during the summer. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

We stayed here before our flight home. We had spent a few days in Reno. We stayed at a different hotel in the area our first night that was cheaper but decided to stay here our last night. The other hotel was nice for the price and this one was more expensive but well worth it, We were alittle worried because they had several events going on at the hotel but it was nice and quiet all night. It was right by the highway and had an In&Out Burger next door. We had never eaten at one so a nice treat and very cheap, They have a very nice restaurant with lots of fresh baked goodies:). Only a couple of complaints. Extremely windy hallways to get to your room and the pool was very cold and though someone brought towels out to other guests they didnt offer us one. The hot tub was nice though and we had brought our own towel. The two gentlemen who checked us in were extremely nice and gave us good tips and things we could do the next day before our flight home. Nice place to stay if your going to Sacramento or Reno.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to lobby so you dont have to walk all the hallways to get to your room
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Joni D
Majicholiday1, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Thank you for your kind review of the Auburn Holiday Inn. We seek 100% guest satisfaction. We appreciate you sharing your experience. While I can't do anything about the windy halls, I can share your experience with our "house people". Thank you again, we look forward to your return

Reviewed July 26, 2014

This is a basic motel in a good location. Don't expect great amenities, but the hotel is clean and well-maintained. Very nice and professional staff. Good base of operations for work or being a tourist.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank James G
Majicholiday1, Manager at Holiday Inn Auburn, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Thank you for your comments! We pride ourselves in our location on I-80 and historic Hwy. 49. And walking distance to our historic town of Auburn, with restaurants, bars, boutique shopping and museums.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Second time at this hotel and loved it as much as I did the first time. Staff was very friendly especially at check-in. Upgraded at check in based on IHG status so it pays to join their loyalty program.

My only complaint on this hotel is the wallpaper in the common areas is very ugly and the random pieces of furniture in the hallways look out of place especially since they are not antiques.

Main reason for staying here and coming back is the restaurant Max's located on the second floor. Excellent meals both times I have been there. Wait staff is exceptional. Certainly not your ordinary hotel restaurant.

Used the work out room and equipment was new and clean.

Overall great stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool on the corner
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Best Western Golden Key
#1 of 3 in Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
Super 8 Auburn
#5 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Holiday Inn Auburn? Share your experiences!