“Friendly staff, bad location and loud cooling/heating unit”

BEST WESTERN Golden Key
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Auburn
Tahoe
“Friendly staff, bad location and loud cooling/heating unit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Of course I knew this hotel was located adjacent to the freeway so I have only myself to blame, but it was loud. Also, the air conditioning and heating unit was very loud as well, so every time it went off I woke up. I don't think it was a defective unit and it was nice to be able to set the temperature from the wall, but it was loud.

The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. The breakfast was good, but I was hoping there would have been some eggs. The waffles were very good. The breakfast room was very nice and it was clean.

The wifi in the room was fabulous. I was able to stream a Netflix movie with no problems. The selection of TV channels was not all that great, but I was not there to watch TV.

Overall, I would not stay there again but only because of the location. If it were an emergency and I HAD to stay there, I would not be heartbroken.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
I appreciate your taking the time to contribute a review on our hotel and I am sorry you felt the traffic was too noisy. I could not find the information on which room you stayed in but the rooms that are farther back on our main building seem to offer the quietest stays and our very farthest building is our Double Queen Rooms and they are the most buffered from the traffic noise. We do have hard boiled eggs that are in the displayer on the back armoire in the breakfast room and I am sure our breakfast attendant would have been able to help you find what you were looking for. I am sorry about the heater and we check to make sure the filter covers have not loosened but the nature of the P.T.A.C. unit unfortunately does make noise when they go on and off in the rooms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

Auburn is a good location for touring the old gold-mining towns along the Mother Lode. The hotel is also beside the main route to Lake Tahoe, which is a nice loop drive for a day. We spent two nights here, and were very comfortable. The rooms are quite good. The hotel is an L-shaped two-story structure. It has a nice pool that was used a lot by the young families using the hotel. The Wi-Fi worked very well.

Breakfast was good in a good-sized room.

A thank you to the front desk staff who patiently sorted out a complex payment scheme using our BW cash cards.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mililani, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was our second stay at this hotel and it's still really good. The rooms are clean (check out their shiny basins) and the location is great. The breakfast if sufficient. That's my only complaint. The counter staff is the most welcoming and friendliest we've ever encountered at a Best Western.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I am glad to see that our hotel lived up to your expectations. We are actually a 2.5 star property because we do not have an exercise room or conference room and do not have elevators. In most of the other catagories that Triple AAA rates each property we rate 3 diamonds.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff is friendly and the grounds are clean. The rugs are old and disgusting and there are soap dispensers in the shower that are very unsanitary. The pillows are like bags of rocks and my wife and I both had bad head aches from them. They seem to use the cheapest products they can find for the breakfast they serve. The eggs made us very nervous about salmonella and we both got stomach issues from them. That is when we could actually spend the ten minutes getting one open. They need to revamp the whole place. The staff is very good though. Try a different hotel first.

• Stayed September 2012
Lynn L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Golden Key, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
I am very sorry you were not pleased with our hotel when you stayed with us and I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience. We are replacing our old carpets as quickly as we can and have just purchased a new Rug Doctor to shampoo all of our rooms on a more regular schedule. The amenities dispensers that we use in our showers eliminate the waste and inconvenience of the smaller individual bottles and are cleaned and refilled daily by the housekeeping staff. We also provide the individual bottles if you would rather not use the dispensers. We hard boil our eggs and sometimes they do go beyond the cooking time and are hard to peel, but it isn't discovered until that egg is peeled, but I assure you we cook them and clean them under the strictest hygiene standards. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know how we might be able to improve and of your concerns and I hope I have explained to your satisfaction.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We (me, my wife and our adult daughter) stayed here in unit 171 for one night in mid-September. We were in a double queen room where the beds were comfy, the towels white and fluffy and the internet was fast access via a wired connection. We had a memorable stay for all the right reasons - this is a traditional style motel and was clean and comfortable and the staff, particularly Jennifer on the front desk, were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast of the usual continental type but was perfectly fine and welcome after a good nights sleep. Unfortunately we didn't have time to use the very clean looking pool. The hotel is in a really ez-off, ez-on location right by the Freeway, but we experienced no traffic noise. We recommend staying here for a night or two

Room Tip: Plenty of food outlets nearby, either by foot or a short drive. make sure to visit the historic dow...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

The friendly, helpful staff and the many breakfast options earn a Very Good for this basic hotel. We had problems connecting with the internet. Not only did they fix the problem, but deducted $25 from the bill. We could hear parking lot car noise from in our room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Bernardino
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

This motel is convenient to the freeway. It was very clean and comfortable, with a friendly staff. The price was quite reasonable. Nothing fancy, but we would stay here again. Go for a real breakfast in old town if you have time.

Room Tip: Our room faced the road, but it was far enough away that we didn't hear anything.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank dsill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
Hyatt Place Sacramento Roseville
Power's Mansion Inn
Power's Mansion Inn
#1 of 3 in Auburn

Been to BEST WESTERN Golden Key? Share your experiences!