“"Bad Food, Bad Follow-up”

Bootleggers Old Town Tavern & Grill
Ranked #14 of 169 Restaurants in Auburn
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The bourbon marinated flat iron steak that we ordered smelled and tasted rancid. The server, rather than have the manager or the chef handle the issue, argued that the meat, according to the kitchen, was delivered the day before; therefore, it couldn't be bad. She blamed it on our being unfamiliar with the taste of a bourbon marinade. We weren't charged for the meal, but the event, and pardon the pun, left a bad taste in our mouths. Since we're local to the area, I felt that the owner should be made aware of our experience in his restaurant, so I e mailed him. In his response, he assured me that the meat could not be bad. Of course, there's no way he could possibly stand behind such a statement since he had not tasted that particular piece of meat. Nevertheless, he asked that I contact him so that he could make it up to me. I called him as requested, left a message, and no return call. About a week later, I sent another e mail expressing my disappointment with his non-responsiveness. To date, I've not heard from him. Apparently, he doesn't need our business, but we've already shared our bad experience with numerous friends who will no longer patronize this restaurant.

1  Thank spikeyred

Reviewed June 24, 2011

I have eaten at many restaurants in Auburn, Ca and always find Bootleggers to be a classic hometown eatery with a nice ambiance and food. Set in the heart of Old Town Auburn, it makes for a great place to take out of town guests as well as local friends and family. Reasonably priced, and good eats to go with it! Fireplaces and home decor make this place a home away from home!

Highly recommended for any occasion.

1  Thank betterdays11
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Bootleggers is in the middle of the historic Old Town Auburn. It is in a charming old brick building with a real fireplace dividing the bar from the dining room (great on a cold February evening). While it can handle the normal tourist trade, it also has a nice feel that can make it seem upscale casual for those romantic nights. Bootleggers offers small plates and full meals in the evening, with a good variety for all diners. The chef has a nice flare in the kitchen, making dishes that are interesting and delicious. The food was so good, we went back a second evening on our trip. One of the nights we were there, we enjoyed several great "specials of the night" including shrimp wrapped in won ton skins and a citrus bread pudding special that was out of this world. Another night we had a cheese plate that had truly interesting and delicious cheese--one a cheddar layered with blue cheese and another a cheese with sage. The bread is outstanding (try the garlic sourdough). If you prefer something less exotic, they have such things as chicken pot pie and a mixed grill. We also found the service was very good. We would recommend this restaurant highly.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

While on our honeymoon in Lake Tahoe, my husband and I spent a day in San Francisco. After being snubbed twice at two different restaurants in San Francisco, we decided to head back to Tahoe and knew we'd find a good place to eat on the way back. We are both social studies teachers and saw all the historical signs for Auburn so decided it would be a great place to stop. We went to bootleggers and we were immediately seated on the very pretty patio. We were nervous after the waiter recommended the sweet potato chips and their were less than desirable. We told him we did not like the taste of them and he removed them from our table and did not charge us for them at the end of our meal. We both ordered steaks and they were the best steaks we've ever had. They have a great buttery flavor and a giant clove of fresh cooked garlic on the top, which our waiter squeezed onto our steak. The broccoli and mashed potatoes were awesome also. We still compare that steak to every one we ever eat, and dream about visiting CA again and eating at Bootleggers.

Reviewed July 24, 2010

My husband and I needed a food break on our way to Tahoe. Got off the 80 at Old Town Auburn, turned right, and there was Bootleggers restaurant, with a place to park and outdoor tables. Even though it was warm, the homemade tomato basil soup sounded delicious, and it was. We also had the dungeness crabcakes and fresh oysters; both stellar. Round it out with a lovely glass of wine, and very good and friendly service by our waiter, Robert. We will definitely go back next time through that area.

1  Thank eos_domestic_goddess