“Iffy choice now”

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #15 of 172 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 28, 2014

This location started off with a bang, but has slipped to average. The service is inconsistent, and the quality is inconsistent. Like other reviewers, we liked what came to Auburn, but it quickly turned into mediocre fare. Oddly, many of the servers who were great are no longer there. There seems to be a lot of turnover for some reason. This review is based on about 10 visits, so the reviewers who think it's fantastic need to visit more often. I wish the management would get the concept that return customers make up and customer base and work on consistent service and consistent food quality. We decided on on more visit before we write them off.

Since I'm giving it a decent rating, I should say that the Sweet Cream Pancakes are killer good. There's nothing like them.

1  Thank hemingray55

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Had lunch on 7-31-14. I really hated seeing the service pull down this fine restaurant, but it did. Upon arrival, there were two ladies waiting to be seated and a man. We got in line. It was not that busy. The two ladies waiting suddenly turned and left stating they had waited long enough to be seated. As they departed, the hostess rapidly ran out the door trying to get them back in. They refused. Hostess should be trained that basics no. 1 in restaurant etiquette is seat your customers as soon as they come in. There were clean tables open. Second problem we encountered was we got our drink order taken, but has to wait quite a while for wait person to get lunch order. Then, the wait began, and waited, waited, etc. finally, I asked the wait person if she would check on our order. She rather curtly responded, it's coming up. Then, when she brought the order, she brought two orders, and one was about 5 minutes later. Then, she violated restaurant basic etiquette no. 2. She came back to the table and rather sarcastically said, your order was only in for 10 minutes. We argued a bit about that and finally one of our party said just forget it. Needless to say, I hope this treatment of customers is corrected, or we won't be back!

1  Thank raylin15600
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We have visited 3 different Black Bears, always great food and superb staff. If you are looking for good food then always go to a Black Bear.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Not sure what all the bad reviews are about. We had a great dinner here. I had the fried chicken and it was really flavored well. My mother had a French dip sandwich which was really great and the kids had Tri Tip (which was AWESOME, very juicy and delicious) and pancake breakfast. The kids items came with a sundae and they brought over a tray with all kinds of toppings and such, such a great experience for them. I really really enjoyed this place. Wish it wasn't our last night in the area, would have gone back the next evening.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

This restaurant is just what Auburn needed, I've lived in the area for 39 years and when I returned from a long stay in Hawaii, I was pleased to find we had one in my home town. I went twice in one week, once for Breakfast and once for Dinner. I had a very good meal both times and found the prices reasonable.