“Great food!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Have been here for drinks and appetizers before. This was the first time for dinner. All I can say is WOW!! I had the Dirty Dingus steak and my wife had the New York covered in gorganzola, both were amazing. We will definitely be back!

1  Thank Wyldreams

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

Went for lunch to check it out. Liked it, so will go back for dinner. Only improvement could be with service. When you are paying the price, you expect first rate service.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This location is great and the place and restaurant name holds many memories for the locals in Auburn/Colfax area, so I have gone to Dingus McGee's a few times now with high hopes.

First off, it's very, very busy. The wait is long and the bar is so busy and crowded it's impossible to get a drink while you wait. So your option is to stand on the deck, which has a nice view, but can be hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Just a warning to anyone going: make reservations!

I have come here three times: once with my husband an another couple, once with just my husband and once with a mix of family memebers (party of six).

The service has been fine, with the exception of my last visit where the man serving us seemed to have too many tables and was rushed, which made us feel awkward.

My real issue with this place is the food. There are some ok things on the menu, but overall it's just average stuff that all seem to have the same flavor. Nothing exciting, with the exception of the alligator appetizer - although the batter on my last visit seemed a bit gritty. It seems the go-to spice is salt here. I just wish there were some more adventurous flavors. I would also love to see some local produce and meat provided.

I think one of the problems is the menu is just way too much. I think it's hard for some restaurant owners to realize you just can't have "something for everyone" because that's a recipe for mediocroty. Everything is done just OK instead of focusing on only a few, choice dishes done to perfection. One pasta dish we got was just way way too much garlic. And the serving size was fit for about four people - we took the leftovers home where it made my fridge stink and we tossed it the next morning. The sides with your entrees are blah.

I have to say the menu and food quality is like an upscale Denny's. Sorry. That's harsh, but my honest assesment. My husband is in agreement with me - we had this discussion just the other night when we drove by the location on our way back home from another restaurant.

If I hear they have re-worked the menu, I will try it again. But for now this is off my list of places to go. And it breaks my heart to say that.

Reviewed July 7, 2012

We found the staff to be helpful and attentive but the food didn't impress us as much this time. It was a hot day and we weren't that hungry so we ordered salads. They were just okay, quite large, mostly lettuce and about ten bucks each. Someone else wrote about the bread that Dingus serves. I think it's just very dense sourdough bread that isn't cut all the way through so it takes two hands to tear it apart....nothing out of the ordinary. A glass of house wine each and two dinner salads plus tip came to $57. The staff told us that they are going to start having live music on the outside decks this summer and that it will get very crowded so reservations are in order. Parking is still an issue as you have to walk up a fairly steep hill and then two sets of stairs to get inside the main door. I was hoping to love this new restaurant but it's not what I had hoped for. Sure wish the owners of The Ridge Golf Course (1 mile away) would start having summer music on their deck along with food. That was a great place on the weekends but they are mainly an events center now and only seem to open the restaurant during holidays when they can charge a lot for buffet dinning. Auburn still needs an upscale restaurant.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Auburn has been in desperate need of a nice upper-scale restaurant with good food for a long time . . . and, unfortunately, it still is. We found the food at Dingus McGees to be average--not bad, but nothing to warrant a second visit necessarily--and the service a tad below average. Roughly half of the entrees on the menu involved some use of garlic, which I find to be the hallmark of an uncreative, not an imaginative, chef. If you don't like garlic, that greatly reduces your choice of entree. Perhaps the most inexplicable fault, however, was that the bread, which we had to ask for, was at least two days old; stale doesn't even describe it adequately. It was nearly impossible to tear or bite off a chunk to eat. I thought maybe we had just gotten a bad basket, but as I looked around the room, I saw various people literally using two hands to extract the chunk while trying to grind their teeth into a piece in their mouth. In addition, our server was completely inattentive; it took 20 minutes from the time we finished dinner and had our plates removed for the server to come around to give us our check. However, I think other diners around us did not have a problem with other servers, from what I could tell. Sorry, Dingus. We used to go often to the Colfax location and were disappointed when it started going downhill. We were hoping the new location would be a "new leaf," but, at least for us, it's not.