“Outstanding Clam Chowder; Poor Service”
Review of Auburn Alehouse

Auburn Alehouse
Ranked #3 of 165 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Brian & Lisa Ford opened Auburn Alehouse Brewery & Restaurant in 2007 in the iconic Shanghai Restaurant, embracing the building's character and colorful history in the heart of Historic Auburn. While enjoying their full bistro menu, patrons can often see Brian & his brewers making world-class beer in small batches, using only the finest malted barley and American-grown hops. With a collection of prestigious awards hanging on the wall it's easy to see why the SacBee recently said Auburn Alehouse is one of the region's premier craft breweries. Favorites include the Gold Digger IPA (CA State Fair Gold Medal Winner), Gold Country Pilsner (GABF Gold Medal Winner), Hop Donkey (GABF Silver Medal Winner) and PU240 IPA! Lunch and Dinner are served every day, while our Brunch menu is served on Saturday and Sunday from 9am-noon. Don't forget we have a dog friendly patio!
Reno, Nevada
“Outstanding Clam Chowder; Poor Service”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband, friend and I stopped here on the way to Folsom from Reno. My husband's friend suggested we meet him there since he lives in Auburn and it's his go-to restaurant.
We popped in for dinner on a Friday night. We parked next to the restaurant which requires a ticket from the parking meter. The parking meter box was difficult to read since it was a dark and
rainy night. It didn't accept cash and once we figured out which way to swipe our credit card, we were good to go. A light near the box would be helpful for out-of-towners in order to read the directions.
We had to wait an hour for our name to be called. There is very limited seating inside the restaurant to wait. So, we stood for an hour along with several other people in the very noisy, packed restaurant.
Once we were seated, the server took his time with us. I noticed he had several regular customers who received more attention than we did. My husband, friend nor I drink beer. My husband's friend raved about the beer. So, if you're a beer drinker, this place will be for you! My New England clam chowder was the best I've ever had! It was smoky and had big chunks of clams. It was delicious. I wish I ordered a bowl and not a cup. It was that good! Unfortunately, my appetizer crab cakes arrived cold. They were smothered in a Dijon sauce. I couldn't adequately taste the crab cakes under the Dijon sauce. I would've returned them but knew a new order of crab cakes would take forever due to the slow service from our waiter.
I will definitely give this restaurant another try but not on a busy weekend Winter night.

Yuba City, California
“Excellent beers, good eats”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Two buddies and I planned a brewery day trip and this was the first of the two we stopped at. We arrived at about 11:30 a.m. after about an hour and fifteen minute drive from out home town. Even though it was raining, old town Auburn was very busy and we had to park about a block away from the restaurant. When we got there a sign on the door informed us that the toilets were not working because of the rain (flooded). The hostess told us a restroom was available right across the street at a little mall. We high tailed it across the street and were back at the restaurant within minutes.

We were seated right away and a waiter came by and gave us menus and asked us if we wanted anything to drink. We all asked for water and requested the beer sampler which included eleven different beers that were currently on tap. We also requested appetizers, calamari and deep fried pickle chips. He brought our water back very quickly. After about 10 minutes our trays arrived with out beer samples. The waiter was very knowledgeable about the beers and explained each one to us. After he had explained about all the beers he went back to the kitchen where our appetizers were waiting and brought them out.

The calamari was good, basically the tentacles deep fried. But the deep fried pickle chips were to die for. Totally awesome and I've been craving them ever since. We then placed our orders for our meals. My friends each ordered the Cuban Pulled Pork sandwiches and I ordered the pub burger. My friends both said the sandwiches were great and my burger was one of the better burgers I've tried.

After our meal we asked our server about T-shirts, bottled beer and beer glasses. They had everything we wanted and after a few minutes figuring out what T-shirt I wanted and what beers to take home we made our final purchases. We were there about a total of two hours but never felt rushed even when it got busy.

By the time we were done the restaurant was packed. And the rain was coming down hard and heavy. But we were in a jovial mood and the rain didn't hamper our spirits. And we were ready and able to visit our next stop. I hope to go back there again for the great beer and those oh so good deep fried pickle chips.

Santa Cruz, CA
“New Favorite Stop on Way to Tahoe!”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My husband, friend and I were one our way to Tahoe in the middle of a raging snowstorm. We were hungry and not too keen on maybe getting stuck on the highway without having had some sustenance. We used Trip Advisor on our smartphones to find a reasonable restaurant and we ended up at the Auburn Ale House! Fabulous! I had some of the Stout beer - a nice oatmeal stout, rich, chocolately, yeasty and delish. For dinner I had the reuben sandwich with beer batter fries. It was soooo tasty that I didn't want to share with my husband. He had a Shanghai Chicken Salad which was a delight and our friend had fish tacos. We were all happy campers!

Oakland, California
“A great I-80 pit stop.”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Went here with the kids and in-laws. Had a great meal of above average bar food. Their beers are well priced and decent quality. The beers they already bottle are all standouts. Great service, great for kids, decent outdoor seating. Will return.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank lecollye
Santa Cruz, California
“Great Beer Great Food Great Service!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

We stopped on our way to Tahoe on a Friday evening with no prior knowledge or recommendations, what a find! We had to wait 30 minutes for a table but well worth it. The menu has a little something for everyone on the food side a the beer was excellent. Since I was driving had to pick up a growler to enjoy in Tahoe.

Visited January 2014