“How many friends does Alfred have ?”

Power's Mansion Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Auburn B&B and Inns
reno, nv
“How many friends does Alfred have ?”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Before you answer, I would like you to know that I'm a very easy going person, easy to get along with and that I always try to make the best of every situation . I'm not that hard to please, so with that being said the answer is.....

If you answered 217 you'd be correct. Alfred has 189 excellent friends and 28 very good friends. Two hundred and seventeen is the number of positive reviews for Power Mansion Inn.

Did you notice on the Power Mansion Inn website Alfred and Peggy brag and boast about their "Best of the Best" award ? The local newspaper the "Auburn Journal" sponsors this event encouraging citizens of Auburn to vote for their favorite or best local Auburn business, so I guess if you are the only inn in town claiming to be a B & B, and if you get one vote, you win hands down.

We arrived early evening on a Saturday (The Inn called the night before informing us there was going to be a wedding at three, so either check in before two or after four as not to interupt the wedding). A very nice young lady named T.J. checked us in and showed us around the mansion. The parlors and the dining areas looked inviting and were nicely decorated. T.J. showed us three rooms that were available and three rooms that had reservations but the guests hadn't checked in yet. I had reserved "Grandma's Room" for my husband and myself and the "Chinese Room" for my son and his lovely wife. Upon learning that the "Annivesary Suite" had a cancellation I inquired about staying in that room, and because it being twice the size of "Grandma's" we chose that room, and after seeing the "Chinese" and "Grandma's" my son and daughter-in-law chose to stay with their original reservation of the "Chinese Room". What wrong choices we made that evening. The six rooms that we saw had several things in common: poor quality cheap mattresses, thrown together cheap decor, musty linens, and toiletries cheaper than the dollar store.

I thought the rooms or suites at a B & B would have pillow-top mattresses, overstuffed quality bedding and linens, tastefully decorated with pictures, knick knacks and decor items, nice furniture and decent toiletries. Maybe a flat screen t.v. But, in our room and suite we had the cheapest mattresses that 79.99 could buy from the guy selling on the street corner in a rental truck, faded linens, quilts, and comforters, (probably clearance items from Big Lots) toiletries were .88 cent bottles of VO 5 or White Rain shampoo and conditioner. I really hope Alfred didn't bust his budget with the rooms we stayed in. Seems to me Alfred likes to decorate on a beer budget but likes to charge you the price of a bottle of Piper Heidsieck 1907 Champagne.

Our suite has never seen the likes of a vacuum, I must have picked up at least seven or eight plastic price tag fasteners from the carpeting, I opted to wear shoes or socks the whole time while in the suite. When I opened the curtains I looked down and found food on the carpeting. Aren't rooms suppose to be cleaned after each guest leaves ? There were cobwebs and gnats on the wall and in the skylights. My son's room hadn't seen the likes of a vacuum either. The a.c. wasn't working probably and with the tub basically in the room it had a sauna like effect. His window was broken and had to be propped open with a book, the other window was of no use as it faced the inside hallway.

I won't even go into breakfast, only to say that the two gentlemen (and neither one was Alfred) were very polite and attentive. The last morning of our stay we went to "Awful Annies" and had a great breakfast with the food we like and not what someone decides we like. I'm glad I paid the groupon price for this little getaway and not their regular rates. I won't be choosing Power Mansion Inn for another getaway. If I'm going to pay 200-250 a night it won't be this place.

Room Tip: Pink Room is off the kitchen, the quilt looked so faded and old and not in an antique way Chinese...
9 Thank Bernice743

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
San ramon
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We would give this place 3 1/2 stars. The house definitely needs work and the service was a little slow with a wedding going on, guests checking in, high tea being served in the dining rooms, and a small staff on duty. Our room was unavailable at check in and there was a mix-up with another reservation, but over time these problems were solved. Our room was in the main house, upstairs. Comfortable, but really in need of a good cleaning, clean carpets and some paint. No one seemed to ever be around (we got back from dinner about 7:30 and house was locked. Went in back door, but no lights on, no one anywhere. Went to breakfast, still no one in sight except for a few guests looking for breakfast). This was pretty close to central Auburn and could be a fun place with some upgrades and better staffing.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bina12
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Run down, dirty, tacky. Looks like it has never seen a vacuumed. Runnnnnnnnnnnn. Should have read the reviews before we stayed here. Don't, just don't. They have weddings here, if you can believe that, on astroturf. Food is unhealthy. Everything is in a state of disrepair. The only nice part was the inside dining area that they use for high tea. Didn't see anyone doing that. You don't eat here, you eat in the bar next door. The room had stuff left from the last occupants, no glasses, cords tangled under the tables, every wood surface either worn out or damaged.

Room Tip: choose one at another hotel
4 Thank sunnydays309
Spring Green, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Unfortunately we were only at the Inn for one one evening, but it was an outstanding visit. The room was lovely, the grounds are beautiful, the staff was gracious, the pub fun and then there is Alfred...There is nothing to say that would give justice to his hospitality, let alone his breakfast!!!
We will be back without a doubt...Thank you so much.

Room Tip: We loved our room, The Anniversary Suite. I liked that it was convenient to pub/restaurant and had a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan K
Cupertino, California
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying two nights at the mansion. We were warmly greeted by the innkeeper, Alfred. The 3 of us stood in the magnificent parlor exchanging stories, and he was so captivating, that before we knew it, two hours had passed! He showed us to our room and told us to join him for a complimentary drink in the pub he owned next door. There we met his 2 lovely, welcoming daughters, who were tending bar. We were given recommendations of where to dine, and went off for a tasty dinner at a Thai restaurant in town. The mansion is so centrally located that you can walk a block to the sweet little town of Auburn.
The next morning when we went for breakfast, we were surprised to find out that Alfred made EVERYTHING from scratch! He had gone to culinery school, and it showed!
As we enjoyed a scrumptious breakfast, Alfred himself came out to chat with us. Then he went to other tables and chatted with them after emerging from the kitchen with his hands full of plates for them. I kept wondering just how he managed to spend so much time with guests, not be rushed at all, AND cook AND serve everything!
We learned that he also caters weddings, and he toured us around the area. Everything was set for a wedding that weekend. He was putting the final touches on the tables.
That evening,there was a rehearsal taking place. We were up in our room changing, when alas, thru the window, I spotted none other than Alfred, perched in front of the bride and groom at the gazebo! I summoned my husband to look out the window. He said that Alfred was probably just directing them until the minister arrived. But I saw his mouth moving in a minister-like style!
The next day, upon inquiring, my suspicions were true.... Alfred is ALSO the minister!
Now I'm SURE there have to be some Alfreds hidden in the back room, as I cannot fathom ONE person doing all that AND being so congenial, professional, and just plain NICE!!!!!
I've read some questionable reviews here, and I just can't understand how people can be so negative! We had the most outstanding, homelike, warm experience, and can't WAIT to return and experience more of Alfred, the ONE man show!
And Alfred, I will share some advice from a very wise Brit... "When you raise your head above the parapet, arrows will be shot at you.
The advice is: "Just keep taking them OUT". You're the BEST, my friend!
Cynthia & Chuck A... 86 strong!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MadamGanesh
Auburn, California
Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I waited at the Pub during our son's Prom event in their Banquet room. Kristynn (sp) and Alyssa were attentive, friendly and made a yummy cocktail for me. Try the whipped cream flavored vodka, pineapple juice shaken then splashed with grenadine. The two ladies take care of the bar tending, serving and keep a welcome neighborhood pub atmosphere.

Edmonds, WA
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We make a point of returning to Powers Mansion and Alfred's welcoming presence to make our stay in Auburn as if we were the owners instead of guests. Being able to share in Alfred's culinary skills and new ales is a very special treat. Powers Mansion is like returning to another era of fine china, claw foot tubs, expansive verandahs, and charming features throughout the house and Powers Club (next door to the Mansion). Each room has it's own theme, which makes the choices exciting and a different experience each time we visit. The very first time we visited Auburn to see our children we stayed in a very uncomfortable hotel. The discovery of Powers Mansion for our return visits was a blessing for us. I also look forward to visiting Depoe Bay Coffee shop for excellent coffee within a block of the Mansion.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Auburn
Holiday Inn Auburn
Heritage Inn Express Rocklin
Park Victorian
Park Victorian
#2 of 3 in Auburn

Been to Power's Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!