Applegate Inn
Valley Motel(Atwater)
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed one Sat. night, would stay again. Desk clerk gals & the owner/mgr. were great--open, friendly, sense of humor--unbeatable (worried me--why are they so good, nice? Oh, well, just enjoy). We took a room in a back corner and closed it up as a test of soundproofing--RR tracks are not far behind--but found it quiet, no real noise from any source, and the few trains were zero problem, almost unnoticeable, and the crossing is far enough away so that the also-few train horns were no problem. ***Be assured--we HATE sleeping-hours noise, but all was fine. So many places don't work out in that area--see my reviews of Columbus Inn, S.F., and "Drip Drip Drip" of Santa Rosa, for instance.) Pool was in use & no noise/problems from it. TV set good, programming O.K. (I wish the place and all hotels/motels would upgrade to DirecTV). We walked 100-150 ft. to the Denny's and across the street 50 ft. more to a local family-type restaurant--both friendly (again worried me...why is everyone doggone nice!?. Well, memory must have failed me, that must be it).
---
We rank this motel to be an above-average, decent and good place, with an extra plus for the great staff. And great value for the money, $69 as I recall. We wanted to buy the loveseat, too, but that's another matter.)
---
Added info.: A Chevron stn. is about 1/2 block away, 99 freeway is convenient. Atwater city seemed very casual and safe, a welcome and pleasant change from Folsom-Sacramento-area pushy, take-a-chance, fill-every-space, what-me-signal? traffic race.

Room Tip: If ours, in a back corner near the RR tracks & downstairs, was fine, then likely all others are okay. I would wonder about the other side of the motel, nearer the crossing, but trains seem few and not a noise problem so perhaps all would be okay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rndh
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Applegate Inn while visiting family in the area and have found it quite satisfactory. We normally stay in more upscale places but chose the Applegate for its location and have been happy enough with our choice that we have returned many times.

Our rooms have always been clean and adequately supplied. The furnishings are modest but in good taste. A small microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and TV are included. There is a Denny's adjacent and another good restaurant and bar which is popular with the locals across the street. Also a Chevron station and easy freeway access.

Our king bed room was spacious with a settee and a small dining table with two chairs. We paid $75 including tax.

This is not a luxury hotel or resort, but a decent simple motel that gives fair value and should be judged accordingly.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert H
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed at the Applegate for 2 nights weekly, from Labor Day 2011 thru mid-March 2012, while working at a nearby school district. This is an adequate, basically quiet motel. A good deal for the money. Yes, a couple of freight trains may chug by during the night but they only last about a minute. Those other reviewers who call it a dump have never stayed at one of those off the track side street motels in Las Vegas. This place is clean and well kept-up. Staff is cordial but not overly sweet. Don't expect a 5-star rating, you won't find a mint on your pillow, but it is certainly fine for an overnight stay. Fast food and large strip mall shopping very close. Small refrigerator and microwave oven in room. The AC/Heater unit was very quiet. Try to get room #108, but not when I need it!! (Tues nites) I'm coming back for another 8 month stint.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Martin P
Reviewed October 3, 2011

First of all - this is a discount hotel and it is not a Marriott. Keeping that in mind, after reading all the horror stories on this website I was hesitant about booking a room. I only did because I was traveling with other family members and my father-in-law stated that it was not that bad. When I opened the door to my room it was a nice surprise. Room was clean and was not smelly. They even have a microwave and small refrigerator in the rooms. They do have blow dryers as well. I was happy with the service I received and slept well. Yes, it is close to the rail road tracks, but to tell you the truth I was not awakened by it in the morning because I was tired. It was close to my family function and just the right price. I will be staying there in the future.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sandy S
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This place is a dump. Dirty, smelly, and the front desk person made me feel like I was bothering her. Will never stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011