“decent and good value”

Ranked #1 of 1 Atwater B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“decent and good value”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have stayed at the Applegate Inn while visiting family in the area and have found it quite satisfactory. We normally stay in more upscale places but chose the Applegate for its location and have been happy enough with our choice that we have returned many times.

Our rooms have always been clean and adequately supplied. The furnishings are modest but in good taste. A small microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and TV are included. There is a Denny's adjacent and another good restaurant and bar which is popular with the locals across the street. Also a Chevron station and easy freeway access.

Our king bed room was spacious with a settee and a small dining table with two chairs. We paid $75 including tax.

This is not a luxury hotel or resort, but a decent simple motel that gives fair value and should be judged accordingly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Murphys, California
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I stayed at the Applegate for 2 nights weekly, from Labor Day 2011 thru mid-March 2012, while working at a nearby school district. This is an adequate, basically quiet motel. A good deal for the money. Yes, a couple of freight trains may chug by during the night but they only last about a minute. Those other reviewers who call it a dump have never stayed at one of those off the track side street motels in Las Vegas. This place is clean and well kept-up. Staff is cordial but not overly sweet. Don't expect a 5-star rating, you won't find a mint on your pillow, but it is certainly fine for an overnight stay. Fast food and large strip mall shopping very close. Small refrigerator and microwave oven in room. The AC/Heater unit was very quiet. Try to get room #108, but not when I need it!! (Tues nites) I'm coming back for another 8 month stint.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Martin P
Lakewood, California
Reviewed October 3, 2011

First of all - this is a discount hotel and it is not a Marriott. Keeping that in mind, after reading all the horror stories on this website I was hesitant about booking a room. I only did because I was traveling with other family members and my father-in-law stated that it was not that bad. When I opened the door to my room it was a nice surprise. Room was clean and was not smelly. They even have a microwave and small refrigerator in the rooms. They do have blow dryers as well. I was happy with the service I received and slept well. Yes, it is close to the rail road tracks, but to tell you the truth I was not awakened by it in the morning because I was tired. It was close to my family function and just the right price. I will be staying there in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandy S
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This place is a dump. Dirty, smelly, and the front desk person made me feel like I was bothering her. Will never stay again.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank robbone1969

Travelers are raving about these Atwater hotels

Willows, California
Reviewed February 22, 2011

I came for a training class at Atwater, for future employment, a resident of Atwater co-worker, recomended the hotel, I understand that she lives here and the revenue should stay in the city, I did not wanted to complain to the front desk, because the girl at the front desk, was not very friendly, I ask if there was coffee in the room, she did not know, the carpet is dirty the pillows are stained, very old, I am afraid to sleep in the bed, there are patches of caulking all over the ceiling , the fan in the bathroom sounded like it was going to come out of the wall, I decided to call the front desk and complained about the room, she said that she does not check the rooms and she does not own the hotel, she would let the manager know, she said that she gave a good price for the room, $ 64.90, I ask her if that is why I was getting a dirty room, because of that price, she said that is not what she was saying, she does not check the rooms, so she does not know how how the rooms look. I told her that I have worked in a hotel before, and if a guest complained about a room, we would look the condition of the room and move the guest to a more comfortable room. after all the talk she said she would move me to another room, I said I would deal with it for the night, I did not wanted to move my equipment, I could go on in detail, but it does not matter, I will take pictures and post them, I am a logical person and I am sure not all the rooms are like room #208, good luck who ever stays here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank willowsfresh
Half Moon Bay, California
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Cheap...I'll give you that. I'm not going to bore you with cliches. I will tell you that it is adjacent to the railroad tracks and they run all night long. When it's over 100 during the day and not much relief at night, you would expect the air conditioning to work. This one almost caught fire at midnight. My wife woke me up and was frightened. The place smelled of burning wires from the a/c.

My daughter had a kart race the next day. I had to make sure she slept. I appraoched the manager the next morning and was told I should have called him as he would have come out and fixed the unit. At midnight we want to watch a bunch of workman fix the a/c unit?

I told him that I would some kind of credit for the inconvenience. He said he would not charge us for the room. Really? He never reversed the charge and would not return my calls.

The lights are all dim (low wattage bulbs to save money?), the walls are all patched, and to top it off....there was blood on the curtains. I think the man at the front desk was called Norman Bates.

Cough up the extra $20.00 and stay at a hilton, Best Western, or Marriott.Edit - Delete

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank jimmanning
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atwater
Hampton Inn & Suites - Merced
Hampton Inn Turlock
Hampton Inn Turlock
#1 of 11 in Turlock
America's Best Inn & Suites

Been to Applegate Inn? Share your experiences!