“The Service Sucks”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
Los Angeles, California
“The Service Sucks”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2006

I came to Atascadero on business with one of my associates and we were very excited about staying in this hotel as we are traveling a lot with our company. We had received recommendations from our local clients and were looking forward to a nice stay at your establishment. Sadly, I must say that it was a disappointment from almost the beginning. The hotel itself is beautiful and the rooms were lovely - it was the service that proved to be a constant let down. Jeff was sweet and attempted to be helpful but from the moment we arrived the hotel seemed to be painfully under staffed as he valeted our car, checked us in and carried our luggage. He had to ask a young girl to run and find someone to help him - I assume she works there normally but was off duty. A number of other mishaps occurred during the stay including no wake up call which made us late for an appt (I attempted to use the automated system that didn't work so called the front desk and was assured that the gentleman I spoke with would take care of it), my associate had no water in her mini bar and then was sent on a goose chase (gift shop, bakery, etc), only to find there wasn't any in the hotel, the air conditioning was broken (I was told to open my windows to let the night air in), my room was not made up during the day and when I called and finally had it taken care of all they did was make the bed, no toiletries were replaced. When I called to talk to someone I was told there was no one there that could help me and that I was out of luck that evening and that I could speak to Dustin in the morning. We received a lot of inquiries from clients about your establishment and sadly had to report all of the mishaps. All in all, for a hotel that appears to be marketing itself as a luxury hotel (which to me includes top notch service) The Carlton seriously missed the mark

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank beckster72

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2006

We just stayed at the Carlton and were surpised by the quality. The front desk staff offerred us a larger room as they were not busy. The room was inspired by several new Four Seasons properties I have been too, like SF. The bathroom mirrored Four Seasons to the tee. The only differences were that it was larger and the tub was bigger! L'Occitane toiletries were provided in abundance. The towels were plentiful and soft.

The room used purple and cream and gold colors. The bed was elegant and comfortable with super soft sheets. The closet was big and the lights turned on/off as you opened the door. The TV has expanded cable. There was a minibar. Wireless internet is free but you must call for a password. Cookies were provided at turndown. We ate dinner at the grill. The food was good, but not great, as was the service, just slighly unattentive/clumsy. The bar was the "scene" in town.

Service at the hotel was awkward. They offered to Valet my car, which is free, but my car sat for 1 hour. The parking lot is 50 feet away from the front door. The room service line was not answered and the front desk took a long time to answer. I ordered breakfast from the front desk. It was tasty, arrived fast and was fairly priced! I was impressed. Overall, forget staying in Paso Robles at the awful Paso Robles Inn or dive hotels. This place is your best choice for San Luis Obispo and Paso for wine tasting or business travel.

FYI: Book online and save.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank FlyOneWorld
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2006

My husband and I need disabled accomodations and the Carlton's provisions were up to code. Many hotels adversise accesibility, but in fact if you have a wheelchair user, you find that a bed has bed placed on a platform instead of a traditional frame. This makes it impossible to use a lift required to help the wheelchair guest into the bed (since many lifts need room underneath the bed to roll under). The Carlton paid attention to that detail. Shower accomodations showed the same attention. Make sure you mention you'll be using a lift.

• Stayed January 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2006

nice room , slow staff in rest/bar area went twice both the same seems a shame

• Stayed November 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2005

I have to admit the property is luxurious. The night manager and reservations people were attentive.

However, the problems begin with the restaurant staff. Basically, the cafe is miserably understaffed. We were 100% ignored from the time we entered. We seated ourselves and waited about 15 minutes before flagging down a waitress. When asking about service, the waitress was beyond rude and downright insulting. We left before ever seeing a menu. My wife and daughter were so humiliated by the waitress's comments that I canceled my reservation with the property.

I travel often on business and stay at many four and five star properties. The level of service at The Carlton Hotel restaurant fall well below even three star standards.

• Stayed December 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atascadero
SpringHill Suites Paso Robles Atascadero
Allegretto Vineyard Resort Paso Robles
The Oaks Hotel
The Oaks Hotel
#2 of 18 in Paso Robles

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!