“Poor Experience”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
Santa Barbara, California
“Poor Experience”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I booked a suite at the Carlton Hotel, specifically to have family over after Thanksgiving to play games and such. When I checked in , they had given away my suite. It was completely inappropriate to have family in my 'bedroom.' They did not do anything to make me feel compensated for my huge inconvenience. I will not stay there again and am very disappointed in how poor their customer service was in this regard. And , oh yeah, a $10 resort fee for parking and wireless usage? I didn't use either!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jkhirsch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We started driving home from SoCal and quickly realized that a straight drive home was going to be too ambitious. After an extensive online search for one-night hotel stays, we finally settled on The Carlton Hotel and booked a few hours before arrival. Even surrounding Best Westerns overpriced at $100+/night, so we did not have high expectations.

However, with that first step into our rooms, we were transported to a different era, as another reviewer mentioned. Clean rooms with intentionally decorated furnishings; huge bathrooms with jacuzzi tub and shower; TV inside an armoire; and my favorite, the unexpected nooks and crannies for drinking glasses. There's an adjoining bakery/cafe in the same building for coffee/breakfast the next morning - be sure to try the house-made croissants!

No full-service dinner restaurant on site. However, the hotel is located on a main stretch, so there are dining options within walking distance.

Staff was fabulous. We were late/last arrivals for the night and she stayed to wait for us.

Our only challenge was parking. A vehicle was parked in the front area reserved for registration and staff didn't know who it belonged to (walking is usually not a problem for us but it was 11pm and we had two young children asleep). Finally found the shared back lot, which is not well lit at night, making it hard to decipher marked parking spots.

Overall, I will definitely be returning to The Carlton for future visits! Fabulous hotel and staff!

Room Tip: We had adjoining rooms - both the king standard and double queen rooms were excellent.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were amazed by the beautiful Carlton Hotel in Atascadero. Never having stayed before in this small Central Coast town, we had modest expectations. I knew it had been refurbished, but we were so pleased with the venue from the public areas to our beautiful room. Everything has been redone to period style. Lots of wood trim, paneling and mouldings along with marble floors and chandeliers. Our room was an interior room opening up to the courtyard. It was remarkably spacious, absolutely immaculate and very, very quiet. The bathroom was appointed with fixtures and finishes you expect from a Ritz-Carlton (any relation?). And to top it off, there are no minimum stays here. If you want to spend one night in Paso Robles, good luck. The nicest hotels all have two night minimums over weekends. Not so with the Carlton--are you are only 10 minutes south of Paso Robles/Templeton wineries. We will definitely stay here again when we next visit the Paso Robles area.

Room Tip: Our interior king size room was huge and quiet, although the sound insulation is very good throughou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I used to live in Atascadero many years ago, and it was really nice to see the newly-renovated Carlton Hotel in fine form. Renovations completed in 2005 have brought the hotel back to its stylish hey-day of 1929. Nicely appointed, huge rooms with very comfortable beds and furniture. The bathrooms are large, with a spa bath and separate toilet.
The foyer and the other rooms have a beautiful charm with plush carpets and timber finishes. A sitting area by the fireplace with fashionable high-backed chairs.
The only downside was the lack of restaurant and lounge on the premises, these recently closed due to slow times. A shame, as these would have improved their rating in my opinion. But, there are plenty of good restaurants and hole-in-the-wall bars very close by.
Overall, a nice surprise of a hotel filled with old-fashioned charm. I reccommend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David I
La Mirada, California
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I have friends living in the area, and two favorite wineries, so The Carlton is where I always stay because I am so well cared for. The staff is fantastic. The hotel itself is very quiet and peaceful. The rooms are luxurious, wonderfully clean, and well appointed. The bed (I was in Room 325) is the most comfortable I've ever found anywhere (and I have travelled extensively on business). The rooms have an LAN connection for much faster internet access.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Don't be disappointed when you first walk in - as the entry to the hotel is less than luxurious, but the rooms are great. Perfectly comfortable beds with nice linens, and great, large luxury bathrooms with high-end Turkish cotton towels. Perfectly nice for a one-night stayover. Kind of strange that the bath amenities were all different brands - different soap than shampoo, than conditioner and lotion, etc. Almost as if they were using whatever they could find! Didn't see the continental breakfast that was on the website either upon checkout - but we were in a rush and there was only 1 person at the desk so we headed down the road to find breakfast since the restaurant in the hotel is now closed and "available for lease." No pool, no extras - but nice rooms and easy access to the 101. Staff could use a little training with "class" issues. Front desk personnel should be dressed professionally for $250 per night charges, and either give guests a couple of bottles of water to drink or don't -- but handtyped stickers taped to Fiji water bottles saying "$4 per bottle" seemed a little tacky. Would stay again if in the area and unable to find a cute B&B.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 2nd floor that opens up to the nice outside tables on the roof where you can e...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This is in an old building downtown in Atascadero built in 1928. The room was large and comfortable. The bed was good. Bathroom was large. The restaurant was not open when we were there. We were looking for a drink in the evening, but there is a nice wine bar next door.

My only complaint was that we had no wifi reception in the room. We were probably far from the source. I could only get 2 bars on my cell service, so I could not establish a good hotspot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atascadero
SpringHill Suites Paso Robles Atascadero
Allegretto Vineyard Resort Paso Robles
Paso Robles Inn
Paso Robles Inn
#9 of 18 in Paso Robles

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!