“Wonderful Hotel in Wine Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Carlton Hotel

The Carlton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Atascadero
Sherman Oaks, California, United States
“Wonderful Hotel in Wine Country”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We love to visit the Paso Robles area and the Carlton is a new find. Its an older building that has gone through a wonderful renascence after it was renovated in the late 1990's. They have a good kitchen, Coffee bar as well as a bakery and it's right off the 101.

Room Tip: There is an outdoor terrace level, with a few too many pigeons for my taste, but it's a favorite...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Beautiful entrance, great staff, large rooms and fantastic Four Seasons Style oversized bathrooms. One exit south of Paso Robles so super convenient to may wineries. I highly recommend this great hotel locations

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Watsonville, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

The hotel was selected for a weekend of wine tasting and celebration of a friend's birthday. Upon checking in we were delightfully surprised first by the hotel's appearance and second that we had rooms ready. We were there prior to 11 am and expected to ask to hold our luggage until checkin or we returned from wine tasting. Ourselves and another couple were the first to arrive from the Monterey Bay area. The young man at the desk, Travis was courteous, professional and got us checked in right away. The second couple had a problem with the cleanliness of the bathroom. Travis provided three rooms for them to review and decide which they would rather stay in. When we came down, he asked if we wanted to join the others and the other two groups whom he also offered rooms close by (off the patio). We had already unpacked and were quite happy with our room, but he even offered to help move if we wanted.
The rooms are very comfortable and have all the amenities of something you would expect in SFO. Wine glasses (which this is wine country), both disposable and "china" coffee cups and a mini Krueg for a coffee maker. Bathroom was large and the shower had great water pressure and was height of the shower head was tall for my 6-4 husband. One thing that we had checked into before deciding was if there was any kind of entertainment (music) at the hotel or within walking distance, which we had been assured there was. However, the lounge off the restaurant closed down by 9:30 - which we would have liked to utilized with our group and there was no music in the hotel. A small wine bar on the block did have a jazz trio - but was not quite what we were given the impression would be going on. There were too pool hall bars within walking distance but again, if you have it in mind to continue on after dinner with your group at least at this time of the year there is not much going on after 9 pm. There is a small boutique and jewelry store on the block for those interested in a little shopping too. Also, it was handy to have a bakering on the block also to be able to have a birthday cake for our celebration (not to have to bring one with us) - and the restaurant kept it for us in the cooler as well as serving for us. We did eat at Colby Jack and I did a separate review. I don't think many of us would use the restaurant again any returned to the area. Service was good, just did not have the best experience with dining. Oh and this is a dog friendly hotel. We had a small breed staying next to us and never heard him in the night. (We are dog people so it didn't bother us at all)

Room Tip: Patio rooms are nice if travelling with a group. We had a balcony room on their floor looking over...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 1redheartz
Henderson, Nevada, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

My wife and I decided to stay at your hotel because this time the visit was not only business, but also to celebrate our anniversary. At first we were impressed with the hotel but our mood turned from delight to disgust. The shower cabin was infested with mold and outright filthy. We brought it to the attention to the staff but it was never cleaned during our stay. We ended up leaving the next day without being able to shower. I am glad I didn't have any meetings that day. Our little get-away was ruined due to the condition of the bathroom and lack of personal training. The front desk brushed off the reason why the bathroom was not cleaned was because the cleaning personal didn't speak English. I was hoping for a full refund or a free room in a clean room next time I return to the area so I emailed the pictures the the general manager. She never called me back. I finally called her and she told me the pictures I took of the bathroom were not from her hotel and that I was a liar! - Never will I stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Kim P
deanajalex, General Manager at The Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
i apologize for the experience that you had at our hotel and that you were not happy with my response. It is my goal that everyone that stays at our hotel has a wonderful experience. My staff and I work very hard to make sure this happens. I would love to have another opportunity to meet your expectations.

Thanks.
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

We reserved 11 rooms for a 60th birthday party weekend, and all of our friends enjoyed this gem of a hotel with its lovely staff, beautiful rooms, and very comfortable beds. We used the 2nd floor patio to hang out after our dinner parties in the Colby Jack restaurant, and everyone said they would come back. Breakfast in the restaurant was really nice, and the Sunday morning brunch was inexpensive and really good. Locals should take advantage of the restaurant. Two of our guests had massages at the spa next store, and again enjoyed it. We'll be back, anytime we're in the Paso Robles area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chris W
hayward
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stay in quite a few hotels for my work (high end as well as your run of the mill Holiday Inn etc.) this is by far one of the best I have stayed at across the state, the word that describes it best is "plush", beds very comfortable, you sink in, jacuzzi tub, a robe, very very nicely done. I have stayed in places 3 times as expensive and they have not equaled the Carlton. If you are in the area don't stay anywhere else, treat yourself, oh and it includes a breakfast voucher at the restaurant or cafe, and it's your choice of what you eat. Looking forward to coming back next time I am down here for work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My daughters and I stayed at the Carlton on our way down to Southern California. We were all thoroughly impressed by this lovely hotel - the beautiful spacious room, the bed, and particularly the large well appointed bathroom. The staff went our of their way to make us feel comfortable. The manager mentioned that we should stop on Highway 1 to see the seals at Piedras Blancas, an excellent suggestion that turned out to be a highlight of our trip. The price of our room was so reasonable and breakfast was even included. We will definitely be back.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atascadero
SpringHill Suites Paso Robles Atascadero
Allegretto Vineyard Resort Paso Robles
The Oaks Hotel
The Oaks Hotel
#2 of 18 in Paso Robles

Been to The Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!